Bad Storm Emergency at my place today

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
The boys and I had begun to mow this morning when it began to rain. Left the horses out thinking they were enjoying getting cooled down, until it began to really downpour in buckets. Before we knew it thunder and bad lightening kicked in and water was gushing down the hillside like crazy. We got all the horses inside and I gave them hay and was thinking how cozy they were.

I came inside to watch Jaws and after a while I got curious because some of the horses were whinnying back and forth a little bit too much. I looked out the window and could not believe my eyes. Seemed like the bottom back of the barn had given way and water was gushing through the stalls like river rapids. It had been very well ditched but that didn't matter. The water went well over the top and under the back of the barn.

Sonny was trying to climb on the ceilng to keep his toes from getting wet.

Four of the minis stalls that were involved were Angel, Ebbie, Silver Belle and Holly and Fetus!!!!

Water was just gushing through their stalls and they were in the middle of them, like standing on an island watching the water surround them and go past and out their doors.

The stalls on the other side, Nick, the babies: Merry Beth and Baby Chrissy are dry.

Jerry's in Georga on a job so he couldn't help but we decided to keep them inside there for the time being due to the lightening strikes outside until he got home to rig something up to get them in the new barn since it's high and completely dry.

There's just dirt on the floor, it's all open, no stalls, nothing in there. But I am thinking that they will be fine in there and we can just put a galvanized gate up at both entrances to the isleway. In other words we're going to make do for now just anything to get them out of the water.

We're going to stick a camera up in there too but not much of a chance Holly will be in view of it so just call me Sleepless in Waterville.

Wow this is such a mess.

Flood3.jpg

flood2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a mess. I'm so sorry. I have to admit, a small part of me is envious of all the rain (we're really suffering a lack here)... but boy I don't envy the barn flood. Hope you can get it worked out to get the soaked ones into the other barn with your temporary fix.

Wow! so that is what rain looks like. I'm glad it wasn't any worse and that everyone is ok...share the wealth a little though and send us half...
smile.gif

Marty, that IS a mess!!! OMG!! I hope you and your little ones are okay, and Holly doesn't decide to deliver Fetus in the middle of this mess!

Good luck, thinking good DRY thoughts for you!!!

UPDATE:

Jerry's home and we are moving the 4 mares and Fetus to the new barn. It's going to be a commune in there with no stalls and plenty of hay to go around. Jerry is hooking up the electricity now tapping into heaven knows what, and miles of extention cord to get light in there and the camera moved so we can atleast try to see Holly and hope she'll come in view of it.

The stalls are a disaster. It's going to take a long time to get them to dry out where I can get them shoveled out. Pure mud and water resting on the top. BAD. Reminds me of our first barn flood in Florida. But rather than dump another dime into that barn and try to sop up that mess, we are going to make due with the new on as-is now.

Poor Sonny is just sunk upto above his ankels so he's outta there too. I left the stall door open for him but he's better off outside in his field rather than wading through this mess.

Got to run and hook up some water.

Oh Marty, it looks like my place last summer. Thank heavens you have the other barn. Gates at the doors will work fine. You could also make a big stall for Holly out of gates if you have extra, just so you can see her on camera and the babe can be born in private. My prayers are with you. You are so lucky to have your menfolk to help you. DO NOT work yourself into hurt this time hear! That baby needs you whole and healthy.

Geese will you please tell your wife that would normally be very funny but I have a bad tude at the moment. .

Boy oh boy I need for this day to end.

The horses are moved over but not the fillies Merry Beth and Chrissy, or Nick because their stalls are fine. But they are calling for eachother like crazy of course, but they are not joining them. Four loose horses to feed without stalls is enough of a trick. I am not used to feeding horses without being stalled and boy I tell you it was a trip running interference between them all. "You get over here, you get over there, no you don't take that bucket, and you go there>" Man that is BS. That is terrible I don't know how you guys do that! Mine don't share and don't plan on it.

So I went to check on the Son Man who was slopping through the mud and muck to see why he didn't eat his grain and I stuck my hand in his feeder to stir it around and came out with a huge handful of BIG HORSE POOP! OH MAN OH MAN YUKKKKKKK Yup he did it. He finally did it. He crapped in his big old corner feeder as healthy as he could finally after all these years he let me have it but good. Oh man........

I go inside to clean up to make dinner, left beef cooking slow on low on the burners while I took a quicky shower, come back out to hear the fire alarm going off "FIRE FIRE FIRE".....yeah well.......burnt dinner pretty good. House is full of smoke.

Dad gum muckers tore up of all things and both have leaked and have a pond inside of them, lucky me, they'll never dry out. Love it, love it. Joy.

Jerry's done fiddeling with the camera comes and in we have hardly no picture . It's so foggy that fog is on the lense covering it and he has wiped it off now a zillion times and we can't see anything oh joy, oh joy what luck, and somebody ate my chocolate puddin and I just want to go to bed.

Marty - I think you sent that storm my way! We just had a terrible lightening storm with torrential rain. I have several flooded stalls
no.gif
and my horses were really going nuts.

I feel for you - and we'll be cleaning up tomorrow too! Hang on - looks like it's not over yet.
wacko.gif

Heath I swear God works in mysterious ways. Good thing now that we couldn't get Holly on live cam after all and Lord knows we tried didn't we? . Just what I would have needed, having her foal live broadcasted in a flood and there would be placenta floating on down the roads......

would not have been a good thing.

I can't find her on the foal cam at all, it's too fogged up out there.

I'm sorry you are getting hit with this. It quit here about 5 today but unfortunately it's coming back so they say. We are going to get hit very hard tomorrow and onto Thursday with severe storms, high winds, and hail. I fear you are in the path as well.

Oh man......we need a pity party.

Oh, Marty, that is awful. I hope you can get the new barn all set up, soon, and move out of that nasty mess.

I feel very badly for you and your horses. Try to relax, though, they are sure to be happy hanging out in the new barn and having a slumber party.

Best wishes (dry ones!)

Liz M.

Marty- SOAP!!! On the lens. Wipe it off with a dry, dry tissue till it's all gone- NO FOG!!! Works on bathroom mirrors, too. So sorry about the mess, I do know how you feel. It's easier to wear deck shoes and let your feet get wet- I have some neoprene ones I use to go in the River and to wash horses. My bottom fields are a flood plain and, back when they flooded, I had to rescue horses from waist deep water!! At least this means Jerry will have to get the barn finished!!! Every cloud has a silver lining.

Marty, I'm so sorry for the flood. We got that storm last night and it was a doozy! I have 20 dry stalls if you need them. So come on up for a visit.

Latest posts

Back