Bad news about Image this am

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyn_j

Reaction score
[SIZE=14pt]Last week one was getting smaller so we had hoped that the remaining one would grow but it has not. Ultrasound yesterday at 60 days shows no more babies at all..... Im very disapointed. This was my most anticipated foal from this year, and next year..... We will flush her and try once more after nationals but that will probably be too late for this season....Very frustrating when your best mare with the most acolades that you pay the most money you ever have for a horse, cant stay pregnant.[/SIZE]

I guess I better not pray for more patience anymore!

Lyn
sad.gif

This is when a donor mare becomes invaluable, to the breeds which allow them.

Many times, it is that which makes the mare so valuable; the shipping, showing, and the subsequent stresses involved, that makes them unable to carry a foal. Even a mare that doesn't LOOK or act stressed, many times is.

Once she is home, and happily out to pasture, perhaps nature can take it's course. Is she going to stay at home next year? Perhaps a nice spring-break would be good for her?

I'm sorry Lyn.. such a disapointment I know, but it will happen and when it does that foal will be spectacular!

I'm so sorry to hear that Lyn.

Lyn, i am so sorry. i know how you were looking forfard to this foal! jennifer

[SIZE=14pt]She hasnt been in the show ring in 5 years..... her last foal was 4 years ago. I dont have my stallions at home so I cant just put her out to pasture with one.Its funny but her foals were all concieved and born while she was on the show curcuit. now that she is retired to the broodmare band we cant get her to stay pregnant![/SIZE]

Lyn

Well, lyn_j, I just can't figure that one! I already mentioned the # 1 cause of show-mare-troubles, what else can it be then... Has she carried twins before, possibly she twins often, and she loses them because of it? I KNOW she has been Vet checked and re-checked; because I know from "here", that you care for your horses like children.
wub.gif

She doesn't "tilt", and perhaps need a casliks? (sp?) Any other mare problems in the pasture; perhaps she doesn't fit in and gets chased a lot?

Gotta tough one on your hands with this little girlie, that's for sure.
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]No Tipping, she is the boss. I bought her from my friend last year just to breed to Steel. I never imagined there would be this much trouble. She was the boss at Jaynes too. Im talking to Jayne about the situation. I have paid A LOT for this mare to be a broodmare.....not a pet. Am hoping that we can come up with either a pregnancy soon or some other arrangement to sell her as a non breedable or take your chances mare. She has been living with my Vet friend Cheryl since April trying to get her preg in the first place....then monitor the pregnancy till safe to put on regumate and bring home but we never made it far enough. Couldnt put her on the regumate as long as the twin was still there..... diidnt want leftover parts to deal with or a partial absorption or complete abortion at 9 months of both babies...... It is just so frustrating! I didnt put anything into the contract about what if she cant be bred.....that was stupid on my oart.[/SIZE]

Lyn

[SIZE=14pt]I guess the bad thing with horses is there are no guarantees about being able to breed them or sucessfully show them or whatever, no matter how well they did those things previously. I hope something will work out soon. I know I have heard many other mini people who breed complain that this has not been a good year for getting mares in foal. I hope you stick it out a little longer with her because it would just figure if you sell her off too soon, if your luck's like mine sometimes, she'll go on and stay pregnant next season...[/SIZE]

That's a tuff one Lyn. I know how you feel.

We were so very disappointed when after three years, Silver Belle just kept turning up as "empty".....we were counting on her to be our best broodmare and that is why we bought her.

We should have known never to count on anything.

We can probably get her in foal if the vet uses extraordinary means. But to me, that is a sign that "it wasn't meant to be" and if we do that, I fear the worst can happen and I just don't want to take that chance and compromise her life. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not worth it to me to put her in an "un-natural" position. I'm going to just leave it alone and see what happens next year.

ooops, double posted

Last edited by a moderator:
Lyn, I am so sorry. It is a serious frustration to have a mare (or stallion for that matter) so nice, so perfect, and not be able to get a foal from them. I have poured thousands of $$$ trying to get my Thoroughbred mare pregnant to an international Olympic dressage stallion, to no avail, so I DEFINITELY FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! I never could get that mare pregnant, sold her to our TB racing partnership as a brood prospect, and she took the second time on a live cover. *sigh* She has produced two lovely babies for the partnership.

I was going to recommend the Regumate route, but you obviously already have that covered. So all I can offer is my condolences and empathy.
sad.gif

Hi Lyn,

So sorry for your loss. That's so frustrating! Though she has been pregnant and carried to term before so hopefully it was just the "twin" thing this year. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back