BAD Farrier Day

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
I know there are bad farriers out there and there have been gripes on the forum about them but let me tell you its not ALL the farriers. I really hate certain vets and clients and I have a REALLY REALLY good reason for it. Tell first client the check has to be on the door or horse does not get done, third time I've been out there and NO CHECK! Trainer says so and so needs to be done. Haven't been paid for the LAST shoeing and only got paid partially for the shoeing before that. Horse will not be done until I am paid in full. They leave it up to the trainer [ not his fault] for horse to be done. Then there are the vet-trainer connection that think the horse will do better with "hot shoeing" don't have the courtesy [the vet] to see if I do hot shoeing or other corrective work but has owner call me to say "so and so" does hot shoeing so I would like him to do the horse a couple of times but I want you to do my other horses! This horses feet were falling apart before I started to do him and hot shoeing will make them brittle. The horse is SOUND and going just fine [just not getting first because the other rider rides better plus I do the other riders horses also so I know]. I will say the owner did tell me the trainer [new] and vet [new] did push to use the other farrier. I also know what went down because a friend of mine [who is a vet and stables at the barn] saw most of what went down.

Linda,

If someone can't see with their own eyes the best farrier in the business, you don't need them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to pay the bills like everyone else, and you need to be paid on time just like anyone else.

Don't take their crap!

You have to many people who would go with you in a hearbeat. Wipe these idiots off your list and your mind and just move on with your head high!

You don't need the stress.

default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Bonnie

I have a book sitting at a publishing house. If it ever gets the heck out of there

I think you are going to LOVE this part:

Manners

The veterinarian and the farrier are very busy people if they are worth their salt. They may have to keep you waiting for days for an appointment so when you have one, keep it. If you have to cancel, give notice as soon as you can. That’s chalking up some brownie points and showing that you have good manners. Your horse should be haltered, ready and waiting before appointment time. The vet and the farrier do not have time to watch you run around and chase your horse to catch him, nor are they there to train your horse to behave. It is your job to make sure your horse is manageable.

After the services have been rendered, pay up! Whatever you do, do not pull the old “I can’t find the checkbook” routine. That is so lame, and it will be frowned upon. If you plan to charge the call, it should be previously arranged. copyright marty garrison

Thanks guys I do know I have good friends and good clients but man the bad ones really make for a rotten day when they gang up on you. Bonnie and Marty thanks for your kind words they mean a lot.

Well Linda, if you wanted to work for free, it would be more fun to stay home and play with your horses and make no money than work and not get paid
default_yes.gif
: You are to good of a farrier to chase your money around. Just think 42 days from now we will be in Tulsa HAVING THE BEST TIME!!!! :aktion033:

Tara, I think thats what ticks me off the most because I could stay home and work horses not spend money on fuel! Can't wait til Tulsa, it will be great and believe me we are counting down the days! The kids can't wait and we WILL have a GREAT time it will be so good to see everyone wait till you see how tall Kim is! Linda

Oh I todally know the feeling! I have had customers like that my favorites are the ones who have 2 or 3 horses and they want a discount I am always like I think NOT with Fuel prices I can't give them discounts! I do give discounts if there are more than 10 or 15 depeding on how the horses are trained and if I have to catch them ect! If I get to a new customer and the owner is not there I wait a half hour and then leave I will not do a new horse with out the owner.

Well that is my 2cents worth!

RNR

Linda,

Urgh!

It sounds a lot like some of the stuff I know goes on where I keep my big horse (with no blame to the stable owner).

What I've seen over the years of SO MANY horse owners is that they have no business owning a horse because they do NOT handle their business right. I think sometimes it's easier to get blood out of a turnip than money owed from a horse owner. It's just completely ridiculous how many don't pay their horses' expenses as they should and honestly -- who NEEDS a horse? I mean really needs??? They are a tremendous luxury and if you can't afford one (or 20), then don't get one or sell the one you can't afford.

Between that and the ones who go to horse cinics every week and honestly have the rudest horses around despite that they "work" with them constantly (basically, it's like they let the horse be its own person, and then expect it to behave). I just flat out would not have the patience to put up with many of the owners or their rude horses.

SO, I understand, I think, how you must feel. Your clients are lucky to have a caring, knowledgable farrier to help them but I pity what I am sure you have to put up with and make business judgement calls on daily.

Jill

Well I hear you! As a former (very happy) client I can't imagine doing that to you, let alone anyone. You're missed in the hollow.

Our motto is take care of your farrier, vet and feed guy. Just to be sure we never had the issue of clients not paying, we always paid vet bills and farrier then billed the customer.

Jean

I just wanted to say I'm sorry for all the crap good farriers have to take! I know, for me, my farrier is worth his weight in gold so I treat him like that! If I did not have him I'd be up a creek! So I want to keep him comming back! He just raised his rates because of gas and steel prices but he told me I could keep it the same. Because of the respect I give him I'm now bennifiting. If people would just treat you the same way they want to be treated, with alittle respect, things would go so much smoother. Again that stinks and I'm sorry for your hassel and for uncaring people!

Leya

I think working with people( the "public") in any form is one of the toughest jobs out there! I worked retail all my life untill I had my son 3 yrs ago and if I think about it ( really hard!! LOL!!
default_wink.png
: ) the only thing I miss is the few truely good people I met. But other then that I don't miss the daily headache that the regular public can bring!

There is a great Article in Horse&Rider UK.. about how to make sure you and your horse are prepared for the farrier.

One thing I am firm about..my horses have to have excellent manners. I have to pick their feet out by sitting in a chair..no longer can I do it the normal way. I move them about with hand signals. If I can't trust them.. I sure the heck would not have the farrier near them.

But here I am picking out their hooves sitting in a chair,, on all fours, on all of them..with no worry they are going to harm me.

I have my horses up... in a row, cleaned and ready. When my farrier is here, I make sure he is out of the weather.. offer drinks,, ie coffee, water or such..and always pay right after.
default_yes.gif
:

I have been on both ends... great Farrier,had him for 7 years!!..who I wish would move down here.

Good Farrier with the hooves... but doesn't show up or return calls...though we have had a nice chat since those few issues. He knows what condition I am in,, and now has promissed to call and let me know if he can't come that day even though an appointment was made before hand..instead of leaving the horses tied up..and me sitting for hoursss waiting for him or him not showing up at all. That was just plain bad manners and planning. But I am glad...and hope we have that sorted out.

I have also had farriers ..like the one before this one..piegon toe and just about cripple all of my horses.

Or ones that beat the horses, and no that persons horse wasn't acting up.

When I had to board oh so many years ago, when hubby was in the Navy.. saw.. all kinds of going ons with bad horse owners,,or the ones that thought their horses could do no wrong. Bad deal for the farrier.

There is both bad and good in both horse owners and Farriers.

The really good Farriers I have had over the years..pick and choose their clients. They do not deal with horse owners that have horses with bad manners or don't pay.

So maybe you should just tell that client that you are moving on and will no longer do their horse(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Shari I did tell them in a way No check on door horse does not get done period! The second issue actually has to do with the owner, new vet , and new trainer. I find it highly unprofessional of a vet or trainer to dump the old farrier without at least discussing the issues they think they have or at LEAST find out if the farrier is can shoe how they require. I do know most of this stems from the fact that though the horse is better and should win higher it will not place over the other horse it is competing against as the other horse has a better trainer/rider. I look at it this way though the feet will fall apart and the way they want to shoe the horse is setting it up to break down the hocks. I feel bad because it IS a very nice horse. The owner did at least have the courtesy to call me and tell me what the vet said so like I said I blame the vet and the trainer as it is the trainers vet that started the whole mess.

Gads.. would not do business with that Vet.

I had been very lucky up until when... the Vet I used with Theia. Great Vets..knew what they are doing. Most of you know what happened to Theia via that one Vet. Will never use that Vet again, not all Vets should be in pratice.

When I let the last Farrier go.. I tried to work with him for almost a year...he was so off with the angles..all my horses were peigon toed by him and limping badly.Took pictures.. he would come back the next day..saying he did not know how he could of messed up so bad. I think he had an issue..with drugs or drink. Did have another farrier..not the one I use now..and a good Vet out. They said the same thing I was saying..

Did find out from other horse owners in the area..he did the same thing to their horses too. I do try to work with the Farriers..and that was the first time I had to let one go like that. But my health of my horses come first. I told him..kindly as I could..but he wasn't happy about it. I so hate doing anything like that.

I did see...he is no longer on the licenced Farrier web site.

Took another year for the Farrier I have now..get them normal for each of them...balanced and going well. No more limping or piegon toes! Happy horses running and playing in their pastures again...is a site to see.
default_yes.gif
:

Sorry this has been a mess for you. Do feel sorry that you have to deal with all that. But you also have to look out for yourself. There are plenty of other good clients out there.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel for ya!! When I was married and hubby was shoeing- the worst customer we had was a policeman!! Didnt pay the bill, then check bounced- then lied about what was going on, etc... we finally called him at WORK and left a message, as we were still due payment. Apparently law enforcement doesnt like a bad rap when it comes to their employees- he was over that evening and finally paid. We kissed him good-bye- dont need clients like that.

We did have some EXCELLENT ones though, that fortunately made up for the bad.

You know, when folks are 'flaky' like that- just never mind and dont stress over it. You know you do a good job- keep your good clients and leave it at that. They will find out sooner or later......

Perhaps the 'trainer' is trying to make excuses as to why this horse isn't doing better- and rather than improving the rider, it is easier to blame it on someone else- which turned out to be you. Guess the truth will come out when they still dont win. Good grief!

Sorry to hear about the bad client... some people should not own horses as they are not like NASCAR race cars that can be tweaked here and there and made to win. That poor horse will be getting his/her hocks injected next to salvage the hocks due to the damage that team inflicted on the horse in the name of performance... and it is a shame as you said the horse is a nice horse.... :no:

Denise

Silversong Farm

PS: Freedom, Enterprise and Weatherly miss Courtney! They have rehabilitated Nefertiti for me and she is now almost in my pocket as well....but she still can be the Neferbrat!

Three people here get treated like royalty...Vet, Farrier and hayman....LOL!

I always have the farrier something to drink and a chair to sit in while I move horses in and out of the barn to rest his back. We always halter our horses and have them ready....his time is valuable too! Any payment due when finished is always a "given" here.

The funny thing is my farrier has a "policy" of doing a foal's first trim at N/C. I told him no way that would work here. Most of my foals are gone by weaning and so he would never get another "paid" trimming here for them. We settled on half price for them. How lucky can I get?? There are nice people in the world after all.
default_wub.png
:

The flip side to this is that I always get an immediate call back from all these guys. They know what they are getting into and that a check will be in hand as they go out the driveway. I work as a self employed person too and nothing makes me dump a client faster than doing a job for no pay....!!!!!

The motto here is treat people you do business with the way you would want to be treated.

Latest posts

Back