Bad Batch of Purina Strategy Feed...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAX

Reaction score
If you feed Strategy please check it before you feed it. A friends horses were getting sick and kept having to go to vet and get oiled and fliuds etc... She found that her barrel of Strategy was lighter colored than normal and did have a different smell to it than normal, but not super obvious. I went to feed store for her and asked them to check out what they had left of that batch. It was even worse than what she had. Tractor Supply said they also had a bad batch and had already sent it back when a customer showed them. I cannot find anything online that says Purina knows about this, but I know they do. I also feed Purina and this makes me a little nervous that they have not said anything yet. So PLEASE just make sure and check your feed out really good before you give it to your guys. Maybe the heat and these new bags do not mix well???

PS this batch was dated may on paper end tape of the bag. Dont know if there would be any others or not. May only be in this area?? I honestly dont know !

Used to feed Strategy, but don't anymore. Something similar happened to me a little over a year ago when I was feeding it.

I have however been feeding my rabbits the purina rabbit feed and I have noticed that there was corn in the last batch that I bought. And the rabbit feed is not suposed to have corn in it. Grrrr...

I have talked to others who are not having this problem but just thought it might be a good thing to check just in case.

I used to feed Strategy a number of years back, but quit due to the inconsistency of the feed itself. Sometimes it would smell burned and the horses wouldn't eat it. I have a problem with feeds that don't tell you exactly what is in them.

Purina (and I'm sure there are other feed manufacturers as well) uses different mills from around the country to make their feeds. So, there will be differences from mill to mill and batch to batch.

I recently purchased oats that I found to be moldy and had to take them back. The heat here in Oklahoma this summer is playing havoc with feeds!

I had some issues with Strategy feed out of the blue. It smelled like it was turning bad but would have a pretty fresh date. Sometimes we could open a bag and the feed would smell like rotten eggs. It was terrible! I am now feeding Purina's Miniature Horse and Pony Feed instead and so far (knock on wood) have had zero areas of concern. I liked Strategy a lot prior to the issues we had but after using this feed I see a better sheen on my horses.

Everyone here that is complaining needs to seriously call Purina Mills and let them know what has gone on so they can fix this problem. I also feed Strategy but no problems as of yet. Thanks Jax for this information.

I have never had an issue with Strategy. I most certainly would call Purina though and complain!! I also feed the Purina Mini feed and have noticed chunks of corn in it this last batch.

Purina has been notified!! This is why I am concerned not to find any info from them to watch for this... I know at my regular feed store AT LEAST one full pallet was sold before they actually looked and agreed that it was bad. Tractor Supply in another town had a bad batch that another customer took back and they sent the rest of that batch back. So why is nothing being said?? I do not feed Strategy but I do feed two other Purina feeds. I just know that if someone had a problem with my type of feed I'd like to know before I ended up with sick horses.

Like Fran we had a lot of issues with Strategy last summer. We bought from 2 different places and all the bags were bad. I did call purina and they gave me free coupons but they said Strategy does not have a long shelf life in summer heat. I know Lisa from here said she called Purina but said they never told her that. But that is what they told me.

We also feed the mini/pony feed now and have had no issues

All of our bad strategy was from 2 different tractor supplies stores. Purina hinted that they were not rotating it correctly but like fran said some of the dates were only 3 weeks out

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what is going on with quality control at the Purina mills?

I did have issues with the Strategy last year,(color, smell,fines etc.) and quit feeding it.

Sue

I have had no problem with my Strategy and buy from the closest feed store that Jax buys from. I buy feed every week so that it doesn't get old in my feed bins and wait till they are enpty to add fressh feed. I have switched to the mini feed and love it. But have kept my mares with foals on the strategy . All the bags have been fine. I will not buy Strategy from TSC anymore as they don't have the turnover that the feed store has.

The feed store she bought her strategy from was not the feed store you use in Boerne. It was the feed store in Bandera. She and I both buy our feed once a week just like "make a wish". It obviously did not go bad at her house because they opened a bag in front of me at the store and it was NASTY.

I am not trying to bash Purina or their Strategy feed, I also feed Purina: Equine senior, Ultium Growth, and now Purina Mini Feed (after talking with "make a wish" about how much she loves it!).

Just thought the right thing to do would to be to let others know just in case they had also gotten any of this bad batch that my friend got.

FYI - All Purina feeds are marked with a born-on-date, generally on the white stripping on the bottom of the bag. For those of you who wait every week to buy fresh feed, you may want to double check the dates to ensure that it is fresh. Sweet feeds generally last 30 - 45 days and pelleted feeds 30 to potentially even 90 days depending on the time of year (temperature). But, as hot as it has been it would not surprise me at all if some feeds lasted for just a few weeks. It may not have been a bad batch of feed, it may just have been feed that was sitting around too long in the heat of the summer, stored improperly, or was not rotated. Any problem feed should be reported to the store or company right away so they can trace if it was indeed a problem batch, an isolated bag or old feed.

Latest posts

Back