Bad bag of Omolene?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TopSpout

Reaction score
Hi,

I opened a bag of Omolene 200 last night and instead of the normal 'apple-y' kind of smell, it smelled like alcohol! As if it had fermented. It looked okay, maybe a bit darker than usual. It also seemed sticky and moister than usual. I had my husband smell it and he said it smelled fine to him. Needless to say, I erred on the side of caution and did not feed it.

I am taking some of it back today in the bag (I had already dumped it in the feed bin
default_frusty.gif
), but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? We had just purchased the bag over the weekend and it wasn't punctured or anything.

Tracy

When ever I am unsure about a bag of grain, I return it. The feed store doesn't have a problem with exchanging.

It's always wise to be cautious, IMO.

If it doesnt smell right, it's not... take it back. I am sure your feed store will be glad to give you a new bag. You could end up with some serious issues feeding bad feed that could have mold, etc.. in it to your fur kids.

The feed store is of course selling their oldest first -- so it may have been there for a while. But they should have no difficulty in replacing the bag. If it smells -- I'm with Laurie. Take it back!

Last edited:
Any feed with molassass in it MUST be discounted after 90-105 days of the manafacturing date on the bottem. IF slightly past 105th day, then marked down. After 120th day.. Tossed out!

I work at a feed store...
default_smile.png

They'll give another with no issues!
default_smile.png

Check the date printed on the bottom tape of the bag (the white piece stitched into the bottom of the bag). It will have the manufacture date printed on it. It is either old, or inconsistent with their usual production (the ingredients come in on rail cars and are often purchased from different suppliers and can vary with availability and harvesting conditions) or it spoiled in the heat. I recently left a bag of mini horse and pony feed in the back of my SUV the other day and forgot about it. We were in the middle of a heat wave....boy did that feed smell bad. Talk about fermenting, it was so spoiled, it was like it baked into a 50# brick. I'm with you, when in doubt, throw it out. I tried feeding it to the cows, and even they did not want it. It is possible that is sat on a delivery truck too long and spoiled. If the grain store wont refund/exchange it, Purina will, just mail them the tag from the bottom of the bag and your receipt.

I dont think the date has anything to do with it.... it could go bad for some reason even before that. Most feed stores stand behind their products and are happy to take it back or exchange for another.

Latest posts

Back