Bad ads making the rounds.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizzie

Reaction score
I suspect like me, many of you also belong to all-breed forums. Many of these forums have a 'Bad ad/dumb ad' category. It pains me to see so many Mini ads and their links and pictures, appear on such forums. At the moment, several are making the rounds. One, an ad from a woman in Wisconsin, selling a darling roan boy, but showing an adult size girl riding him. Another is from a 'supposed' horse trainer in Texas, who have a large website, showing an adult standing on a Mini's back.

I know Youtube and other sites, are full of movies of such things, but what about for sale ads? I suppose it's none of our business - or is it? Such pictures only perpetuate the thinking that Minis can be ridden by full size adults. Have any of you ever contacted a seller with a kindly worded email, suggesting they take such pictures down and maybe explain in their ad, that only very small children should ever ride a Mini?

Lizzie

To be honest, I just lost a sale, becuase when the buyers came to my farm, hubby lost a day of work, to look at minis, they had questions, of course, about their grankids ridding them. I explained that only the B size could be ridden, and then only up to 40 pounds. They liked some of our horses but I think they were turned off by my prices, and the fact that they were looking for something to abuse, in my perspective. NO my 30 inch horses can not be ridden! They also really liked one of my show fillies, but got discouraged because I refused to come down any further in price. OH Well! No I don't post on those sites! Some of the videos I've seen of minis being ridden are just abuse, and I have dial up so I get to see it load up real slow!

It is sad. I have a B sized mini but my nephews and neighbor girls are the only people that ride her and are sure under 50 pounds. My friends always want to ride her but I always make sure to say no because they are 100+ pounds to big for the mino

I cant even look at those, they infuriate me. When I run into people who ask about riding the minis, I tell them no, but they can pull a lot of weight for their size as compared. I just never recommend it to anyone, as they think oh 50 pounds is ok, so 70 lbs should be ok, etc.... And some folks have NO common sense at all.

I hate seeing those types of things. Pretty cruel and likely contacting a seller with those types of pictures would not do any good.

You just can't fix stupid I am afraid.

I also lost a sale (but felt good about that one) when a woman asked me if her 10 yr old could ride the 32" Mini I had for sale......um....NO.

I have written polite emails to people that sell on CL about certain ads...and either get ignored or get a nasty email back...
default_frusty.gif

I hate seeing those types of things. Pretty cruel and likely contacting a seller with those types of pictures would not do any good.

You just can't fix stupid I am afraid.
I agree with this. I had to resign myself to the fact that I "can't save them all" a long time ago. I can't watch things like that because they make me crazy and there isn't much I can do about it. People like that seem to resent being told that their behavior is wrong and it usually makes it worse. Unless it is someone I know personally I hold my tongue and hope that someone who knows better than the seller buys the horse.

I have my own opinions on this and well when the persons leg can touch the floor they are definitely too big for the horse. I have a larger mini and my daughter (2) rides her. However - that won't be continuing for long but we knew this "pony" would be a stepping stone and a way for me to learn to drive. I am hoping she is okay with finding her pony a new home to upgrade when the time comes - or maybe we just drive for a while and she can ride my big boy to me.

At what point though is a horse "big" enough to ride? I forget what % of weight a horse can hold on its back - do you just go by that for minis and ponies or is it a mini breed thing that riding is just too much even at small weights since they are bred and built differently? Once you hit a pony breed are you ok to go to the standard horse formula for weight and riding or is it different -

I have always had quarters/paints and well the one mini we had - we didn't ride.

Just curious to see some feedback on when it is ok .. is it a size thing or a weight or both

According to that which I have read, the common rule is that you and the tack should be no more than 20% of your horse's weight. This was for large breed horses of course and could be ruled by the type of diciplines, one is riding in. Personally, I don't want to see any Mini 34" and under, being ridden at all and preferably only those of B classification being ridden by very small youngsters.

Lizzie

I've lost a number of sales to people who wanted a riding pony for the kids or grandkids (and usually for no money). I tell them they need exactly that - a pony. Can't do much about all the craigslist ads, people that do the worst ones aren't going to listen to you.

Jan

I have always been told you don't ride minis - now my "mini" is 40" and thus about a pony! lol so figured the 2 yr old was ok but it won't be for long or very often - she is more for cart

however - i can't believe all the ads on CL i see that says broke, ridden by my 11 yr old etc - just shocked never looked at mini ads until recently and how common it is - is shocking

i thought it was 20% as a rule of thumb but that seemed low - I mean I weigh almost 200 lbs, my saddle is 30, then lets add my trail gear/bags - I am sure on average I am 250-300 - he has even packed my dog out and other people when circumstances arose and that was in hills - he was doing 30+ miles a day 2-3 times a week in the hills so he was definitely in shape though - but even only 250 on his back that would mean he would need to be a solid 1250 and that is right where he was when fit (he is closer to 1150 now) --- however I know the average horse is 1000 lbs and I have seen people who weigh as much as me or more packed out and ready to go and done that on their horses for years without any issues...

Is that rule a low safe number? Sorry I know i took this in a different direction but something I always go in circles with... if the horse doesn't appear to be struggling - how does one know if it is "ok" - these minis trek along with this weight not seemingly to be struggling or unhappy (in some cases) but I can only imagine what that has done to their backs and legs and ....

Latest posts

Back