Back Surgery: Two steps forward; 10 steps back

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlersminis

Reaction score
Has anyone had a lumbar discectomy surgery or know someone who had it? I'm currently recovering from having it done and I'm disappointed with the SLOW recovery.
default_sad.png
I'm at 7 weeks post-op right now. Before surgery, I mostly had pain in the back of my right thigh and right buttock. In recovery just after surgery, I still had the same pain. This apparently is not uncommon. About two weeks after surgery, I was in so much pain I had to be admitted to the hospital so they could get it under control. They said it was from all the inflammation in the area of surgery and also the retracting of the nerve. Since I came home from the hospital, I've been given two cortisone injections to help calm the nerve. They worked pretty well; pain is not completely gone and comes and goes depending on what I try to do.

My biggest frustration right now is I'd like to be able to take care of my horses without relying on others, and just get back to life in general. I want to get back to daily activities, but it seems as soon as I try to take a little walk or do some minimal things around the house, it aggravates the nerve again and the pain starts back up. I just don't know what or what not to do right now. I do have an appointment with the surgeon on April 6th. I was just wondering how other people recovered from their surgery.

Thanks in advance!

Bernadette

I'm so sorry you are having a rough recovery. I have not had the surgery but it sounds very frustrating
default_sad.png
I have back problems as well with herniated discs and now getting arthritis between the facets/joints and the discs (I just turned 30, all this is related to a car accident).

I see surgeons and pain managements drs at UCLA in Santa Monica and Westwood and they said the discectomy would not help my pain level enough to be worthwhile yet. They said some of the pain comes from the nerves and damage surrounding the damaged discs. Some of the pain I have sounds just like what you describe. I've had the epidural injections, PT etc with no relief.

So on Monday I had a nerve ablation, where they burn the damaged nerves and the nerves leading from the discs. Since then I've had a lot of pain from the nerves being really angry and from inflammation. So I am feeling a little anxious too, I am supposed to have the other side done soon and I am scared! But at long as it goes away eventually it will be worth it to have some long-term relief. My procedure is temporary and has to be redone every 6 months or so as the nerves regrow but I am really hopeful. Like yours, mine subsides some if I don't move but comes back with a vengeance when I move around. I have 4 young children, a job, the horses and I want to show so I NEED this procedure to work. I'm so tired of not being able to do things myself. I am hoping mine goes away soon so I can do the other side before I have my upcoming major surgeries for Thoracic Outlet Syndrome in 2 weeks.

My pain management dr said my increased pain from angry nerves is not at all uncommon, while the nerves are retracting and dying off. She said to use anti-inflammatories, pain meds and lots of rest. She said (for my procedure, yours is more involved and thus more time to heal I'm sure) to expect at least a week of this and could take a couple months but usually after a few weeks there should be in less pain on that side than before the procedure. So, for your more involved procedure I'd think it would take more time to settle.

I hope all is well and there are no complications! Lots of prayers for your recovery

I had a L5/S1 fusion in 2003. they went thru the front of me and inserted two titanium screws. I was in a turtle shell for 3 mths and could not drive during that time. It is a slow process and took almost a year before I felt decent again. I still have pain down the back of both legs if I stand to long or sit to long. I had a great Neurologist do mine. Good Luck and do not push it
default_wink.png

My discetomy was in my neck. The first was very successful. I was then released from my spine DR the end of February. and by that March 17th I was rear ended and the second surgery was not at all successful. My nerves are so angry now I will never be the same.

I have a friend in Utah that had to have a Discetomy in her back. She was in total misery after the surgery that they had to go back in and remove the hardware. I do not know what they used in it's place but she is finally doing better.

My mother had one about 15 years ago now.

She had "nerve memory" pain for a long, long time. The way I understand it, the nerve remembers that is was hurt/damaged. Anything that "jostles" it fires it right back up. She found the most helpful thing to her was PT, ice and time. She still has problems with it in the morning. Stretches help. Letting the hamstring cramp up and get tight just makes it worse.

Nerves are funny things. :\

Thanks everyone. It seems like I'm not experiencing anything abnormal, which is good to know. Also encouraging to know that it may take a long time, but overall it should get better.

Never had the surgery but have a herniated disk. I believe it is horse related from riding, throwing hay, shoveling manure etc. I am also having some issues with my eyes due to constantly being outside uv rays, wind, dusty environment. I hope you are feeling better soon. I have arthritis in my neck now and use a lot of Alleve and Motrin to help with the pain.

I also wanted to add during the height on neck pain which was very bad I used prednisone to combat the swelling. It is not a good drug to stay on long term but it really does help. It was the only thing that helped the inflammation which contributed to the pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
February 26, 2008, my husband had a disc replaced (with stabilization hardware) at L3/L4. Pre-surgery, he had the pain in the butt and left leg. In fact, he actually had dramatic muscle loss in his left leg. His legs looked like they came from 2 people!! It took a solid year before the pain subsided... and two years before he was back to his normal self. He over-did it though because he had to go back to work 6 weeks after surgery due to needing the $$. His leg is back to normal, but he still has some pain now and then. He had "phantom pains" for a while.

His case is a little different because we aren't really sure how he hurt himself... he was treated for a torn muscle for about 6 months before the pain in his butt and leg was so severe, he was on the floor in tears! He had an MRI and they realized he needed a disc replacement. He should have had the MRI long before that.

Hope you feel better soon!!

Latest posts

Back