Back from nationals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffian

Reaction score
Just got back from Nationals. WHEW! There were some gorgeous horses there!

There's been a lot of talk about one particular person sweeping Amateur classes. Yep, there was, but the horses were pretty, conditioned and groomed to perfection. Nuff about that. I think that AMHR needs to follow AMHA with splitting Amateur divisions into newbies and non-pros. Those who have won numerous Champion titles should not be showing against those who are Nats for the first time. It's very intimidating to the newbies and we NEED newbies!!!

I missed Double Diamond. They always seemed to have the best deals. Seemed to be a lot of jewelry vendors, more than in the past IMO. Still had some great vendors.

Lots and lots of great show clothes for sale, both in the vendor area and in the barns. I was able to pick up some great deals for next year, but was limited due to flying and not driving. Had to haul everything back on the plane, so couldn't shop like I wanted, and that sucked!!
default_biggrin.png

Some of those classes were HUGE!! 50 - 60 horses. I was very impressed that while there were some very "shetland" looking horses, the majority of the top tens were more Miniature in appearance. Of course some exceptions were made.

While I know of several cases, I HEARD that nearly 50 horses measured out. THAT is fantastic! It wasn't just because of how the horses were being stood up. A friend had one measure out and was talking about how the horse was stood up. She borrowed a stick, and I measured it standing as she wanted. Unfortunately, it was still out. Even stretched, it was out. We need to have stewards that are tough enough to not bend to pressure and we had them at this show. If the horse is out, it's out. I personally witnessed from afar one being measured by a big name. Officials were polite but firm. Horse measured out. End of story. I do know that a trainer was sitting at the table watching during some of the measuring, and that probably should not have been allowed. That's up to the stewards to control.

It's virtually impossible to tell a horses height from above, where the stands at the video cameras are. There looked to be some HUGE horses there, but when you got down to their level, they didn't look nearly as big. My mare measured 1/2" into the taller division. So she was 2 1/2" smaller than what the tallest could have been. So yeah some looked huge, but were within spec.

Loved the Chariot classes.

Really liked the Open costume with the Margaritaville winner. It was unique! Also liked the Reserve. What a lot of thought and effort goes into these classes! Although I heard the Colonel was looking for his chicken!

OFFICE STAFF -- They were fantastic! They had to be dead on their feet and still had a smile and helping attitude!!!! They deserve the roses and SHOULD be recognized at the show one evening!!!

OK - the downside - What's with the brown ribbon for 8th? Come on - brown? It is NOT the new black!!
default_rolleyes.gif
I would like to see a different color there.

There was one class where the horse who won I M O did not meet the standard for a miniature, PLUS had major unsoundness in it's front legs. They kept buckling to the front and side. Don't know who it was, don't know who owned it, and don't care, but would have liked to have the judges recognize the unsoundness for what it was, a major fault.

I'd like to see an order of go for entering the arena. Don't stand first in line with a number when your horse isn't ready to get in line. That's just rude. Don't make a big deal about being last either. Just get in the ring. I can see not wanting to put a black horse between 2 other black horses, or something like that, but get in line and go in!!

But the show is in the books for another year, we had fun, got some ribbons, and home safe and sound. Hopefully everybody else did also.

There is an order of go in A'S and in my opinion it creates a mess getting ready outside the ring. I much prefer the way R's does it. If you want to go first, then get up there and wait, that's just my take on it. Personally, I tried to go in first as much as possible, because I hate the way the horses are set up in the ring. It's to easy to get lost, so position is important to me.

I've shown Shetlands since 1970 and, traditionally, 8th place, is indeed, brown.

Just got back from Nationals. WHEW! There were some gorgeous horses there!

There's been a lot of talk about one particular person sweeping Amateur classes. Yep, there was, but the horses were pretty, conditioned and groomed to perfection. Nuff about that. I think that AMHR needs to follow AMHA with splitting Amateur divisions into newbies and non-pros. Those who have won numerous Champion titles should not be showing against those who are Nats for the first time. It's very intimidating to the newbies and we NEED newbies!!!
Erica worked her butt off to be the star that she was (is) at Nationals. Huge congratulations to her for breeding/training, fitting/showing so many National Champions. Now that's consistancy that can be respected.

I don't think that Nationals is the place for a maiden handler class, but maybe a novice division would be in order for the new handlers, as you suggested. But, generally, I think that if you want to play with the big dogs, you need to learn how to bark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those talking about Erica.. well first off RUDE

I realize that the OP didnt say anything but comments have been said both online and thru the grapevine

secondly for those that might not know

Erica has been showing since she was a child-she has perfected her handling skills and knows how to condition and present a horse she has spent many years doing so. This is not the first year she has won tons of classes and will not be the last year she will win tons of classes.

The consistency in her wins year after year speaks for itself and she sure as heck should not have to feel she needs to defend those wins

Eighth place is traditionally brown. The colors of the Nationals ribbons are the same color schemes that have always been used by most breeds for the placings! You just don't see the brown often because most shows only place to sixth.

As to "accomplished" amateurs showing... while I agree that two "levels" of amateurs would be good, I personally have never had issue with amateurs that were previously professionals (you could be a top professional for twenty years and then give it up for a year, and then show ammy) or amateurs who strive very hard to be as good as they can be. It's a horse show, and even the "good ones" can be beat. I always felt that if I could place against "that" person, the win is just that much better!

Andrea

First I'd like to say kudos to Erica... and I don't think the person mentioning her win ratio was trying to be rude. As mentioned earlier, Erica's horses were very nice, conditioned and groomed to the hilt. She didn't just win in amateur, but also in open classes. Presentation accounts for a lot in horse showing. I don't know Erica very well, but have always found her very nice and friendly.

I also agree that there should be consideration between an "amateur" which is basically anyone who does not get paid for showing etc. and can have all the experince in the world...and a "novice", which is someone just starting out. There is a learning curve and usually quite obvious difference. Besides the learning curve, it is also recognition.

I also don't agree that a junior who comes up through the ranks, who has won numerous times at the national level and just because they are no longer a junior, can be considered a novice. In AMHA, juniors that have done so... can even go into Level 1 Amateur... I just don't think that is a fair competition. But that's just IMO. = ) There's something about having brand new novice people having to compete against VERY seasoned youngsters or other seasoned amateurs, I don't think judges always take that into consideration. Like I mentioned... presentation is a lot in showing. On the other side... it IS an incentive to become better, something to work for.

Nationals not a place for novices? I wholeheartedly disagree...why wouldn't they deserve to be there as well? I believe we need to nurture new members and exhibitors. = )

For those who say not a place for a novice I can tell you if there was a National Champion award for a doofus handler in the ring I WOULD BE THE ALL TIME WINNER! In fact I could win a grand in a doofus class LOL

I have taken horses to Nationals several years and managed to get a top ten with every horse so it is possible even as a doofus :)

For those who say not a place for a novice I can tell you if there was a National Champion award for a doofus handler in the ring I WOULD BE THE ALL TIME WINNER! In fact I could win a grand in a doofus class LOL

I have taken horses to Nationals several years and managed to get a top ten with every horse so it is possible even as a doofus :)
Too funny
default_risa_suelos.gif

NO! I would win in the doofus class!!! I'm the best doofus around!
laugh.gif

Seriously, at a show a few years back I was showing Sera (now owned by White Tail Farm) in open halter and was somehow lucky enough to win so went back to the grand class and then someone won (thanks to the quality of the horse and NOT the handler!) and when it was time for the Supreme class I actually, accidentally of course, was so nervous that I let a nickermaker slip from my hand and hit Sera in the head with it when one of the judges was looking at her.
new_shocked.gif
I bent down to pick it up, which now I realize I should have kept showing her and left the bait on the ground...but I needed it!lol Then when the next judge came by, again accidentally, I slapped her across the muzzle with the stop at the end of the lead! TOTAL DOOFUS!!! And bless Pretty Sera, she won supreme under two of the three judges.
wub.gif
When a horse is good, the horse is good. Even a total idiot handler couldn't mess it up in this case.

I dont know Erica personally BUT I have watched her website, her horses, her sales, & her accomplishments through the years as she has become a well reconized person in the miniature equine world and I give her 2 thumbs up as she is doing what all of us little no named farms would love to become. She has worked very hard and I congatulate her for her sucess and the future/influance she will have to the wonderful world of small equine!

On the other hand, I hope to someday particapate and show at the nationals and next yr maybe a dream come true. I swear I was stuck to my computer screen for the whole time is was aired, even till wee hrs of the morning!

GREAT JOB EVERYONE WHO ATTENDED THE NATIONALS THIS YEAR!!!

First off, I really like Erica, she has been nothing but helpful and it does take a lot of work to get where she has gotten and she deserves everything she has gotten. Really it makes me want to get better. She started at the level I am on now so it gives me something to work for.

With that being said I do think that having different levels like in the AMHA would be help attract and keep new people. I would change it a little. I think after they win say 10 or 15 total National or Reserve Championships in level 1 that the person should then be allowed to move up to the next level.... it takes some of us doofuses a little longer to learn than others lol

Well...with all the talk about ammys and Erica I have to say. I definitley consider myself an ammy. I didn't show at all as a kid, and now, as a 31 year old I'm still learning the ropes. I feel like with each show I learn somthing new. I work hard to improve and have had wonderful help along the way. This year was my first nationals. I went with no expectations of bringing home any ribbons. Just hopes. I'm very proud of my 3 year old, who just happens to be Erica's Big City Conspiracy Theory, and his 6th place win in a class of more than 20 horses for ammy ladies wcp driving. He's only been driving since his birthday back in April and I couldn't be more pleased. I don't typically do halter with him, but he's turned into a nice performance horse. I was excited to get to meet his breeder "Erica" back when I first got him and I met her at a Tennessee show. She couldn't have been nicer and she gave me lots of tips to help him look his best. Congrats on your wins and best of luck in the future. Hopefully "Bishop" will do you proud.

Laura

I have watched Erica grow up...showing horses. I have told her, and will tell anyone who wants to listen that, IMO, she has one of the best breeding programs going. I admire her, she works hard and still manages time for her horses! I just wish I had 1/4 of her energy...anymore and I'd probably keel over
default_yes.gif

GREAT job Erica!! And, well deserved!

Pam

I understand that you weren't insinuating you felt it was unfair just wanted to add
default_smile.png

But just for the record I deifinatly feel erica has some of the most competetive well fed;groomed and cared for animals in the ammy division. She puts ALOT into her horses and every single one is in amazing weight with a sheen and lots of muscle
default_smile.png
I spent last nationals grooming for her so really got to see everything and she is not only an amazing and generous person but also breeds some outstanding horses! way to go girl you deserved it
default_smile.png
Also it is 3 judges i am sure not all 3 would be biased to one person
default_wink.png

I guess I'm the only one that likes the brown ribbion lol. When I was going into my horse's halter class there was 9 of us I knew we didn't stand much of a chance but I was hoping to get that brown ribbion but nope we got 9th lol. I will support the ribbion and I also want a black ribbion that would look fancy lol.

I would LOVE it if they could spit Ammy or have a AOTE division, but unfortuantly the show is too long, we can't even really add anymore classes much less a whole new division at this point in time, if anything we need to drop a few classes or do something. I really do appreciate them adding ammy obstacle tho, I defintelly plan on going in it next year.

I also missed Double Diamond and I knew a few others did as well, I was kind of disappointed with the vendors for some reason cause even Jearld wasn't there. Oh well.

I don't know as I would say a novice doesn't belong at Nationals, but I would suggest that a novice likely should not have high expectations. If it's a novice that has a lot of confidence and natural ability and a good coach and good horses it's one thing, but many true novices do not have all of those things. If they win that's great, but if they don't it's a great learning opportunity if they choose to make use of it. Take notice of how the winning handlers do things, what the winning horses look like.

I don't think that there's any need to add classes and more classes/divisions to try and let everyone win something--it's just not ever going to work that way. I don't see the need for two levels of Amateur but I admit that I do not show Amateur, even though I qualify for the division.

I still say that it would level out the playing field for and may encourage real novices to show.

When talking about adding a new driving division, I recall reading some of the same response... we don't have room for another division.... but look how popular that class has become! I believe that new or novice people can be intimidated about having to compete against seasoned competitors in the same class... so they just don't show at all.

Another aspect to think about is that show's survive by the number of "rides" that enter. When a class or division is added, it also affects at the local levels.

I don't think that Nationals is the place for a maiden handler class, but maybe a novice division would be in order for the new handlers, as you suggested. But, generally, I think that if you want to play with the big dogs, you need to learn how to bark.

Just to clarify, I am in support of novice handlers. I just was saying that for a maiden handler...nationals is probably not the best place to start.

Another aspect to think about is that show's survive by the number of "rides" that enter. When a class or division is added, it also affects at the local levels.
Not really, at least not always--hopefully not in many cases. Western Country Pleasure got added to Nationals--so far it has not been added to our local shows.

If Amateur were to be divided into two divisions, I surely hope that it wouldn't have to be divided into two divisions at all local shows. I can say for sure that here we would not want to have to divide it up that way--our amateur classes here are not big as it is, maybe 2 or 3 entries at most. With only 2 or 3 entries per class it is not worthwhile for a small local show to have to divide each class into two.

Latest posts

Back