Baby Teething Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharmedMinis

Reaction score
Karo is 2 months old now and I'm a little worried today.

On one side of her lower jaw is this big hard as a rock swelling, like right on the jaw bone itself. The other side is normal. I felt inside her mouth and on the normal side her molars have come through totally. On the side that has the swelling they are just starting to break through the skin. The swelling seems to coincide with the location of her molars erupting, but it's a really hard swelling and it's cleary uncomfortable for her.

She's eating hay and grain fine and drinking from Mom fine. She might be a little lethargic, but it could just be the heat.

I don't remember any of my babies from last year doing this.

Is this normal, and is there anything I can give her for the pain???

Worry wort, worry wort
unsure.gif

I would call a vet and ask them about it. I have never had a foal do this but I have seen an older horse with a retained cap get an abcess and it sounds similar to what that was like.

The vet will either tell you it is fine give it time to erupt on it's own or want to see her. I think maybe the latter though

I agree with Annette. This doesn't sound right. A call to the vet is order, in my opinion.

MA

Thank you Annette and MaryAnn
saludando.gif

I have a call into the vet this morning. Probably won't hear back until this evening.

Good news........the swelling has gone down somewhat from last night. It's still there, but not as bad and it's not quite as painful to her this morning.

I took her temp just to be on the safe side and it's normal. She's still eating and drinking fine.

Do you think it would be okay to put some like mineral ice or icy hot on the swelling for today???
unsure.gif

Is it possible she got stung by something or an insect bite? I also just went through a jaw swelling with a mare that it ended up being a thorn in her jaw.

Hope your baby does ok and it is something that heals quick.

If I was going to do anything I would clip it down close and see if I could see anything like a sliver, bite, sting or anything else that pierced the skin. That may give you a clue whether it is external or internal. More info to tell the vet too when they call. Is there heat where the swelling is?

I did not think about this but watch the swelling that it does not spread enough to effect her airway. I know you said the swelling was down and that is good but just keep this in the back of your mind whenever you have swelling in the head and neck area.

Latest posts

Back