Baby Stealer

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greystone

Reaction score
I have (or should I say had) one mare that was definitely pregnant. The other two may be a couple or more months away. Seperated younger mare to stay with stallion and put boss mare and maiden mare (had a breach 3 years ago) together for company. Well it seems Cashmere (a two time mom) wanted Ebony's baby for herself. She wasn't so much running Ebony off but just loving up on the baby. I didn't want the baby confused so I removed Cashmere much to her dissatisfaction and stalled mom and babe.

Looks like babe and mom are fine. Babe was nursing when I left and had already pooped. I am giving them some time before I go out and do my routine including a sex check; quicky feel gave me a sense it is a filly.

I always watch and make sure that mom and baby are together for at least 3 or 4 days before putting them with another grabby mare. Usually don't have a problem unless another mare has lost a foal in the 2 or 3 days prior to the next one being born. Usually after about 4 days, there is enough bond between the new mother and baby that they will stay close.

Angie

Latest posts

Back