Baby oil for shedding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockysticksfeatherfarm

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? I have read it in a few books. You cover the horse in baby oil, leave it for over night and then wash the next day. Supposed to really get all the loose hair out and almost slick them

Sounds like more a mess and work than brushing. But boy would they be slick.

I am looking for options to not clipping.. But helping him shed out before summer hits here in Texas, we had another cold snap but on warmer days its already heating up

It's really hard to get that oil out of just the forlock and the mane when showing. Try this instead: On a very warm day when the temp is at least 70 bath your horse, scrub with a brush all the way down to the skin, before rinsing coat him with conditioner, and kind will do I use diluted pantene, then rinse with the shower attachment, then starting on the center of the back use the full attachment and hose down, the hair usually just cascade offs Then use your sweat scraper, and towel off. Let the horse dry in the sun. Spray with show sheen or similar product and use a shedding blade, then brush as usual. It won't get it all out, but believe me it will get a good amount of dead hair off.

lf you use a shedding blade every day for a week sometimes twice a day it's amazing how much hair you can get of and the minis enjoy it...l am not a baby oil fan it is really hard to wash out especially a shedding coat everything sticks to baby oil so elbow grease or reversed clipping is the route l'd go to help them along...

Use a "Zoom Groom", it won't irritate the skin and hair sticks to the brush and you simply pull off the lumps of hair that it collects. Any hair loose or semi loose is removed.

Afterwards spray down with olive oil spray and cover with slick nylon blanket to help heat coat up and allow coat to break away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our horses seem to shed a lot better when we add ground flax seed to their feed. It's simple, but I haven't tried a "feed through" conditioner I felt worked better and they do seem to shed faster and nicer.

Nutrition is always the first step as well as a great worming program.

I've used baby oil to get cocker burs out of tails and manes, it works good, but very messy. I can't image doing the whole horse. Someone on here posted a pic of a pushbroom (with handle removed) zip tied to stalls or fence, so horse could rub on it them selves to remove hair. I think I 'am gonna try it.

Baby oil is a mess... and every speck of dust will stick to it. You might end up with an oily dustball lol. I would go with Riverrose's method. I have two horses already clipped here in Texas, am blanketing at night but they have been ok with just a sheet in the daytime and will probably be able to go bare in a day or so.

Jan

I use a shedding tool then I use the grooming block and then brush off the hair , after that I spray with any grooming spray and wipe off .

Wow! I can't even imagine the mess after leaving baby oil on overnight.

I am distinctly unenthusiastic about clipping/shaving because our first two came to us with really bad clip jobs complete with razor burn. I've been trying various grooming tools/brushes (and saw a couple mentions on this thread that I may try) but to date the best I've found so far are my hands. ....just wish the hair didn't stick to me and my clothes so well.

We're supposed to have some pretty warm weather here this weekend (mid sixties and up) so it's going to be bath time. I'm not sure what temperature the water should be (and am worried that water from the hose might be too cold) so we'll be dragging out the propane beer making stove and heating big pots of water. ...and then watch that hair float right off!

We're supposed to have some pretty warm weather here this weekend (mid sixties and up) so it's going to be bath time. I'm not sure what temperature the water should be (and am worried that water from the hose might be too cold) so we'll be dragging out the propane beer making stove and heating big pots of water. ...and then watch that hair float right off!
Hi AngC
default_smile.png

Do you just wash with warm water and then brush (with what type of brush?) and the hair comes off if it's ready, or what?

Trouble is, I will be very unpopular with my daughter if I take all the fur off this cuddly teddy bear...

Scooter, go to page one and read my other post, the water will cause the loose hair to cascade off and leave the healthy coat. Here a tip, if it is a sunny warm day, turn the water on to your hose and let it set in the sun, the water in the hose will warm up for washing. Of course you need a sprayer attached, then when you are ready to rinse, the water should be warmed up by the sun as well, cause I don't know about you, but it takes me a while to wash and scrub.

Great tip Riverrose--I do exactly this to heat water for horse-baths, except I hook 3 hoses together so the warm water lasts longer!
default_smile.png

Scooter... Sorry, I don’t have answers; I’m just winging it. But I have observed that squirting with water melts off dirt and hair.

Regarding brushes, I’m still experimenting. Some folks on this thread have mentioned the sweat tool. I bought one of those (after reading here) one side is flat and the other side looks like a curry comb; I held it up next to the curry comb I bought and the teeth are pretty much the same size. I read on the internet that one shouldn’t use a curry comb. The flat side of the sweat tool is near to useless. The “toothed” side of the sweat tool removes hair in large swathes. None of our horses like it (my test method is if they’ll stand still out in the pasture while I use the tool on them, i.e. not tied up.) To date, the best tool I’ve tested is my hands.

Riverrose’s tip about warming the hose in the sun sounds interesting, but her horses must be much cleaner than mine. If I were to warm up a few hundred feet of hose, it wouldn’t take long to use up the sun-warmed water--probably about the time it would take me to wash one horse leg--and then I’d be blasting them with cold water. I’ve read in books and on the internet and know the general body temperature of a horse. I sure wish I knew what temperature range a horse can handle without shocking them. No offense intended Riverrose; I’m still learning. Your comments gave me an idea; I will measure the temperature of our well water off the hose tomorrow; to me it seems cold but it would be nice to know the actual water temperature. I still don’t know what temperature the horse can handle, but that gets me one step closer to understanding.

I haven't given Halo a bath yet...I am praying she is use to one. I may get the ranch owner/trainer to help me, the first time out. They have cold and hot water, so I would be able to give a nice warm one. I just need to get some shampoo and such for her. I have some shedding brushes and combs. I am going to read back into this thread and see if there is any other shedding brush/comb that others are recommending. I can't imagine using baby oil. I never used that even on my children. LOL Too greasy.

Latest posts

Back