• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Miniature Horse Talk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Horse Wanted Baby dwarf

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QPDOLL

Reaction score
I’m looking for a baby dwarf mini filly. If anyone know where I can buy one…. Please let me know. Thanks.

If you can't find one local, there are a few auctions that would have them. Buckeye miniature horse and donkey sale in ohio has a sale quarterly and always has a few tiny dwarf minis. If you are on the other side of PA, Lebanon valley livestock has a monthly sale and they usually have some small minis, thought I don't think they usually have any that small.

I HIGHLY discourage buying a dwarf unless you are experienced and able to pay large vet bills. Dwarfism in minis is a terrible genetic condition that results in bad proportions, bad conformation, and often very low quality of life. The dwarfs that usually do end up doing well usually have an insane vet bill and were not severe to begin with. Good breeders are trying to breed it out because it’s easily tested for and can be easily avoided.

Little Americas breeds really small ones. Under 23 is probably always going to be a dwarf. But they have several that are 25 or so. Be aware most anywhere you buy them, that small will have a very large price tag.

I wouldn’t pay “BIG” money for a dwarf, but if you want to rescue one and give it a good life then go for it. I would pay “BIG” money for a tiny correct mini.

I wouldn’t be on a search for dwarfs either, but if one falls into your lap and you have lots of money to spend and want to help one out, then by all means go for it.

My tiny Thunder is a dwarf with minimal characteristics, he coliced 4-5 times last year and he is only 2 and a half now. He also has some deformations issues internally that you can’t see. For example, the vet has to hold his head at an awkward angle to get the tub down his nose when he is colicing… among other issues. He is only 28 inches tall which is tiny….. and only 23 inches when I first brought him home.

I agree with Elizabeth. Save your money in vet bills and spend your money on a tiny correct mini. Don’t go for a dwarf unless you are experienced and have lots of money to spend constantly in vet bills.

Oh… and Tony at Little Americas is wonderful and very honest!!
https://minihorseforsale.com/
And a filly? Why specifically a filly? Surely you won’t be breeding her?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t pay “BIG” money for a dwarf, but if you want to rescue one and give it a good life then go for it. I would pay “BIG” money for a tiny correct mini.

I wouldn’t be on a search for dwarfs either, but if one falls into your lap and you have lots of money to spend and want to help one out, then by all means go for it.

My tiny Thunder is a dwarf with minimal characteristics, he coliced 4-5 times last year and he is only 2 and a half now. He also has some deformations issues internally that you can’t see. For example, the vet has to hold his head at an awkward angle to get the tub down his nose when he is colicing… among other issues. He is only 28 inches tall which is tiny….. and only 23 inches when I first brought him home.

I agree with Elizabeth. Save your money in vet bills and spend your money on a tiny correct mini. Don’t go for a dwarf unless you are experienced and have lots of money to spend constantly in vet bills.

Oh… and Tony at Little Americas is wonderful and very honest!!
https://minihorseforsale.com/
And a filly? Why specifically a filly? Surely you won’t be breeding her?
I want a female so I can dress her up when taking her to see children with cancer. I beat cancer last year and this is my way of giving back.

Congratulations QPDOLL! 🤗

You have a beautiful plan, and it is hard to beat the child (of any age) and pony connection! Look at everyone on this forum! 🤣

The wonderful thing about this forum is all of the experiences people share and lessons learned.

All of my minis have taken part in a variety of activities over the years including preschool and nursing home visits. They range in size from 30“ to 35” so none are dwarf. I appreciate their good health as traveling, visiting, showing, etc can be stressful for them as well as us. (Remind me to tell you one day about our one ton truck, 20’ stock trailer, 4 minis, two grandchildren, a Target parking lot, and the back right end of an innocent Honda suv 😚)

The minis have grown older along with us and now range in age from 16 to 30. I am grateful for our years together!

When you look at minis you may find that connection with a mini and size will have little to do with that bit of magic!

Enjoy the search!

An A sized mini would fit the bill just fine! No reason to go that small for what you want to do. They really do have a lot of health problems. My boyo is 31” and a total doll with the perfect personality to do visits. I would say look around 28-32 and choose based on personality. Gender won’t make a difference. Not all minis are suited for that kind of work.

I'll agree that a tiny dwarf is going to cost a lot. People sure seem to want them and they bring top dollar at the sale. But maybe don't rule out a gelding. I think they tend to be more tolerant. And really, you can dress him up in a pink tutu and call him princess it's not going to offend him.

I dress my poor geldings up ALL the time with ribbons & bows and they don’t seem to mind 🤣

choose based on personality.…. Not all minis are suited for that kind of work.
Exactly!! Originally I was thinking of using my dwarf Thunder as a therapy type horse, but he wasn’t having any part of that. He isn’t a people person, he is more of a one woman type horse.…and he sometimes lets my hubby pet him…but only sometimes. 🤣

Stormy, my gelding, is my therapy horse. I take him to visit the seniors and he absolutely loves it. He is 32 inches tall and I find he is the perfect height for those in wheelchairs or with walkers. Any shorter and the seniors would really have to bend over, which isn’t good, I don’t want anyone falling out of their wheelchair!

Congratulations QPDOLL! 🤗

You have a beautiful plan, and it is hard to beat the child (of any age) and pony connection! Look at everyone on this forum! 🤣

The wonderful thing about this forum is all of the experiences people share and lessons learned.

All of my minis have taken part in a variety of activities over the years including preschool and nursing home visits. They range in size from 30“ to 35” so none are dwarf. I appreciate their good health as traveling, visiting, showing, etc can be stressful for them as well as us. (Remind me to tell you one day about our one ton truck, 20’ stock trailer, 4 minis, two grandchildren, a Target parking lot, and the back right end of an innocent Honda suv 😚)

The minis have grown older along with us and now range in age from 16 to 30. I am grateful for our years together!

When you look at minis you may find that connection with a mini and size will have little to do with that bit of magic!

Enjoy the search!
😊 Thank you!

Hi QPDOLL, did you ever find that tiny mini? I'm just updating.

I want a female so I can dress her up when taking her to see children with cancer. I beat cancer last year and this is my way of giving back.
They don't have to be micro size to go visiting in care centres. Jasmine is 36" and she fits in the elevator and goes into rooms, even crowded ones, just fine! The disposition is far more important than the tiny size. Congratulations on your success and bravo for giving back and inspiring others!

Attachments

• Jasmine Crowded Room.jpg
    Jasmine Crowded Room.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back