Baby calves

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluebell2

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
Spring on the farm is amazing. We have a small herd of black Angus cows and have our 4th calf on the ground now. Only 1 more to go. So enjoy watching them. But this is our last year for having the beef cows. It has been a blast! Animal instincts are really something aren't they.

Red Angus are very popular here now. A favorite spring sight is watching the baby sitter cow with all the calves laying around her while their moms are grazing. I've always wondered if they take turns or if one cow chooses it. They look alike from the road so I cannot tell them apart. I've asked farmer friends, but no one seems to have noticed. My mom, a farmer's wife, said the only time heifers would get out of a pasture is if they were looking for a bull. Animal instincts, for sure!

We have had our 1st calf heifers in the barn on my foaling camera and they actually moo softly to their calves, before they are even born. They have contractions, get up and look where they were laying as if they are looking to see if the calf is there yet. Cute. Having a small herd it is easier to notice those things. It seems like our cows take turn baby sitting. Yes I believe your Mom is right!

Latest posts

Back