Baby Blue Roans

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southern_Heart

Reaction score
At what age do these baby blue roans start getting in the roan color?

Gee now wasn't that short and sweet and to the point?
laugh.gif

Joyce

Blue roans are always born blue roan but often times look black until they shed or clip. If you wanna know if your foal is a blue roan then clip them.

My Bay Roan was born solid Bay, by the time she was five months old she looked Black Roan- no clipping here!!
smile.gif
I have never had a Roan born the colour it will be, they have all been born the solid version of their base colour. I do believe, though, if you turn the body hair back you should be able to discern the difference.

My blue roan was black at birth. He didn't show his blue roan until we clipped him at 2 months.

The day he was born. He's all ready dried off here.

fuel2.jpg

This is him at 3 months but his guard hairs are all ready starting to show and make him darker.

diesellft%20.jpg

I just recently bought a red roan mare and her little black filly. Well I clipped the filly cause it was so hot out and the black hair just draws the heat. To my very happy surprise she turned out to be a georgeous blue roan with all the black points and a beautiful almost silver body...she was just two months old.

Ginny StP

Our "BAY Roan", Baylee, was born very bay....I even parted her hair to see if she was roaning underneith, as her dam is a Bay Roan. Didn't see any indication of roaning at all. Then I clipped her at one month old & was very surprised to see how much she had lightened into her Bay roan coloring already!

f40f7f24.jpg

This is Baylee after her first clip

f3bb8fa6.jpg

f3bb8fa3.jpg

Then again after her second clipping....she just keeps on getting lighter & her legs & head keeps on getting darker. She actually looks more like a Blue Roan...but I know she's a Bay Roan.

f351c966.jpg

f351c96a.jpg

Dona said:
Our "BAY Roan", Baylee, was born very bay....I even parted her hair to see if she was roaning underneith, as her dam is a Bay Roan.  Didn't see any indication of roaning at all.  Then I clipped her at one month old & was very surprised to see how much she had lightened into her Bay roan coloring already!
f40f7f24.jpg

This is Baylee after her first clip

f3bb8fa6.jpg

f3bb8fa3.jpg

Then again after her second clipping....she just keeps on getting lighter & her legs & head keeps on getting darker.  She actually looks more like a Blue Roan...but I know she's a Bay Roan.

f351c966.jpg

f351c96a.jpg

433099[/snapback]

WOW. She is a GORGEOUS filly!!
new_shocked.gif
wub.gif
wub.gif

I happen to be a person who loves roans!!! and that Baylee is a real knockout!
wub.gif
wub.gif
just love the third and fourth pic of her. What a doll baby she is.

Thanks....we love her too.
wub.gif
She has the sweetest disposition...follows us around like a puppy dog. She's a little "pudge" because she's so small...but that's OK. Just makes her cuter!
yes.gif

Thank you all so much, Loved seeing all the pictures.
aktion033.gif

This is Southern Hearts Unrivaled Valor. She was born at end of May and 16" tall at birth.

I guess I'll have to get the clippers out and see whats under there.

Thanks so much

Joyce
saludando.gif

1stdayoutB.jpg

Ashley said:
Blue roans are always born blue roan but often times look black until they shed or clip.  If you wanna know if your foal is a blue roan then clip them.
433045[/snapback]

Our filly born this spring had maybe 2 white hairs in her flank as a newborn ... I know, because I was holding out hope she might be roan and looked at every hair on her body! At about three weeks old when she started shedding though, she turned blue for sure!

fergie05fillyroan.jpg

my boy Bandit is 2 1/2 months he is shedding out now and the roan hair is everywhere i dont have clippers so he is just going to have to shed out as is

unless some of you wont to come and clip him.

he was born black

Baylee wow wee come and live with me i love her and so would my Smokie

yes.gif

Baylee is welcome to come be with my 2 blue roans!
wink.gif

i love the roans too! jennifer
saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back