Average Weight of 12 month old foal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Emma Lazarus

Reaction score
My foal is 30" and a bit underweight. I am working on helping it to gain weight. What is the average weight for a foal this size? It measures heart girth 36", length 37", height 30".

QuwonSoo

Reaction score
During the first months of life, the weight of foals increases daily by 1-2 kg, depending on the breed.

QuwonSoo

Reaction score
During the first months of life, the weight of foals increases daily by 1-2 kg, depending on the breed.
By the age of 3 months, the foal's weight is settled. At 6 months, it reaches 45%, at the age of 1 year - 62-65%, and at 2 years - 85-90% of the live weight of adult horses. Unfortunately, I don't know if there are any smart scales for horses like I have for determining BMI, which I purchased at https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/. It would be more convenient to keep track of the foals' development. After all, a horse's body is being formed from the very beginning of gestation. And with the wrong feeding, you may not get a complete animal.

chandab

Reaction score
What size are his parents? Or his expected mature size? Minis haven't been studied as much as full-size horses, so there isn't quite as much data to go on. But, knowing how big he should mature and his age and size now, will give us a starting place.
What's his current diet? All the details.

Latest posts