Average Transport Prices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HorseMom

Reaction score
I am curious about average transport prices. I have a woman very interested in my mare, but she doesn't have a way to haul the horse herself. I'm willing to do so for a reasonable amount, but what is a reasonable amount? I want the trip to be worth my while, but I don't want to over charge her when she is already buying my horse. She's about 100 miles away and we would be using a van that was converted to haul minis or the small horse trailer. Any thoughts?

For a short trip like that, I generally figure my fuel cost plus any turnpike fees. I can add meals to it as well, if needed. I try to be reasonable if I can help with transport. If it helps to sell the horse and I can make the trip, then I'm all for it.

I am curious about average transport prices. I have a woman very interested in my mare, but she doesn't have a way to haul the horse herself. I'm willing to do so for a reasonable amount, but what is a reasonable amount? I want the trip to be worth my while, but I don't want to over charge her when she is already buying my horse. She's about 100 miles away and we would be using a van that was converted to haul minis or the small horse trailer. Any thoughts?
Hi Heather,

We deliver our sold horses free within 100 miles of our farm!
default_rolleyes.gif
A happy customer is usually a repeat customer! Plus you will get to see where your mare will be living!

Bill

I would not hesitate to do such a short trip included in the cost of the mare. If anything, I would go with actual fuel costs and not try to earn a profit from the hauling.

I can't answer on the average price, but I can't tell you what I charge as a trainer. If I make a trip with only one horse on the trailer it is $0.50 per mile round trip. That covers my fuel and my time away from other things I should be doing and any meal along the way. That's me with a full size truck and any trailer I use. You could go less as you probably get better gas miliage with the van. Now if it was a horse of mine that I sold, as long as the distance wasn't huge, I would do it for the cost of my fuel as long as the horse sold for a reasonable price. Hope that helps give you an idea

I also do trips within 2 hours/100ish miles free of charge when someone purchases a mini from me.

Depending on the how much the horse was sold for, if the person is within a couple of hours we will deliver for free or just charge for the cost of fuel.

Latest posts

Back