Australian owners rugging question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Molly

Reaction score
Hey there
Looking for aussie mini owners
First time show season coming up and horses have just been clipped ahead of our first show.
I am wondering what rugs i should be using as its around 10°c over night and 18-20°c during the day in victoria australia.
Ive got them in fleece and 300g fill 1600 denier top rug but they seem to be to warm over night and just in fleece and cotton during the day as they were sweating. What would you be putting on them?

Hey Molly, Victorian here :). Are they sweating during the night or just during the day ? 18-20 is quite warm and my big horses will sweat. As I dont show , I dont rug my little ones. My big horses are currently wearing Cottons with a fleece over the top and a canvas rug( during the night). ( anything over 17 and they are in cottons during the day, under 17 and they wear a canvas over the cotton)

Im not a big fan of the synthetic rugs, as soon as the sun comes out they start sweating and the other thing Im not a fan of is, they just dont last.

Hi ryan i have removed the fleece completely and just gone with top rug over night cotton during the day seems to be better, just was concerned about how much growth it would promote if say they did get cold but dont believe they do get cold at all

Latest posts

Back