Attacking, biting, rearing - HELP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Jan's question about Total Equine--I'd about bet that is is 'THRIVE' that 'used to be Aussie Logic'! THRIVE is what I discovered before 'TOTAL EQUINE', via info from a Texas woman who was posting on the mini driving group list. My daughter was visiting in TX just at the time, and was able to pick up a couple of bags and bring them to me. The 'originator' of THRIVE is an Australian,name of Dale Moulton, who apparently now lives in TX? I REALLY liked THRIVE, but then, I no longer have ANY young stock. It's primary ingredient is alfalfa, second was timothy...so TWO FORAGE plants as the major ingredients. It was around $18.50/40 lb. bag, and recommended feeding level at 4 lb/1000 lb. horse/day, so yes, more expensive than other 'concentrates', probably. Trouble is, it is sold almost NOWHERE outside of TX...hence why I changed to TOTAL EQUINE(which is ONLY available at ONE location in the entire Albuq. metro area; I have to drive a round trip of @ 60 mi. to get mine.)

The two feeds are very similar in concept and composition.I am happy w/ the TE, since I cannot get the other...cost is slightly less than the THRIVE, and it is sold on one of the reservations, so NO SALES TAX! I am pleased w/ how my horses look and act on it!

Margo
My new farrier told me today that thrive and total equine used to be one company and split so yes, it's the same. Total equine is not your average grain, it's forage based and everyone I talked to who never heard of it keeps telling me to "take them off the grain", I halted my geldings feed amount and he's lost weight and I don't like the way he looks, although he's not skinny, but I liked his shape better when he was a little fuller. So I may up him again now that I realized that it's "not the average grain" type food.

Regarding your "how they act on it", did it calm them? I ended up using it after a dressage trainer who owns a stallion told me about it, she used to not be able to bring him in a warm up arena and he would t stand still for pictures etc and it calmed him down. Also it's great for rescues, underweight horses, that's how I got my mini from what she looked like when I got her to now (and a ton of alfalfa of course LOL)

Yes I meant the "positive only", I don't agree with that. I believe in establishing leadership (dogs and horses) using correction AND praise equally. The strength of the correction has to be balanced with the equal amount of praise.

She has a mini (dog) size jolly ball and a big one. She's more interested in the big one, rolling it down the hill and kicking it around
default_smile.png

I'd like some more ideas to turn her pasture in a mini playground, safe and fun - anyone? Playing ring around the Rosie (sp?) with the waterhose is one of her favorites... When I'm trying to pull the hose over the fences she's on the other side trying to wrap herself in it faster than I can pull it :D

I've tried a few different toys with restless/bored horses if you wanted to try them? A big hit is the "nose it" ball, the foals went nuts over it, especially with a few horse treats and hay inside it. Also milk jugs/large gatorate bottles with a little bit of grain in it. They'll shake it all day, it's better if the bottle is see-through because then the motivation to get that grain leads to more play time. I found that to work GREAT with cribbers :)

By nose it ball do you mean the dog balls or do they have some for horses too? Will it work in the stall with shavings? That would definitely be her kind of toy as she's VERY food driven LoL

I'm not positive, but I think they make a Nose-It for horses. and, it wouldn't be the best idea to use it with shavings, but perhaps in a larger feeder.

yes, it is a nose-it for horses :) I used it in stalls with shavings and didn't have any issues with it? Curious about what your experience was with it?

here is the nose-it website http://nose-it.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, it is a nose-it for horses :) I used it in stalls with shavings and didn't have any issues with it? Curious about what your experience was with it?

here is the nose-it website http://nose-it.com/
I haven't used one, but I've had issues with some horses eating shavings if they happen to spill their feed, so just a caution for those that might have hoovers instead of selective eaters.

Hi,

I have to chime in with something I felt quite foolish with at first. I had my young stallion at the trainers and she taught me this. Another stallion at my trainers had this horrible habit of coming up behind humans and trying to mount them and bite with they turned their back. She would run backwards towards them and "squeel "NO" and kick out her foot behind her towards their chest. Crazy as it sounds IT WORKED! She said it was the easiest way for them to understand that YOU are the dominant one of the herd, not them.

I have since tried this on a weanling colt at my place who was starting the nipping at my backside when I left his stall and guess what... I only had to do it twice!

Good Luck!!!

Tell you what, the squealing and kicking towards her (not even touching her with my foot!) works better than carrying a whip! When she sees the whip she keeps her distance since she knows. But yesterday I went in the pasture to change her water and she came up with the goofy playful look on her face head tossing etc and just as she was about to run into me/ rear up would have been next I turned my back, squealed and kicked, she looked confused for a second, stepped away a couple of steps then came walking up nice,y and just followed me around in the pasture as I was doing stuff.
default_smile.png
I think this may be more "her language". Thanks ;)

Glad it worked for you!
default_thumbup.gif

Like I said, I felt foolish at first, but it works! If you watch the boss mare in the pasture, thats what she does and EVERYONE respects her! As you found out, you always have your foot and voice and you don't have to carry anything!

I use a chain on my horses. (Both big and small) A good chain over the nose is nice to have for quick and easy correction. It teaches them respect and to pay attention instead of fighting it. I will attach a picture of how I use it and how it is placed.

P1020149.JPG

A chain is only useful if you actually have a problem that requires quite an aggressive response.

A chain is only useful if you actually have a problem that requires quite an aggressive response.
I only use it as a correction. Many people misuse the chain and really wrench on it. I simply make a small correction with firm but not violent hand. I NEVER am aggressive with it as that is not what the chain is for.

I am sorry I cannot see how using a chain as a punishment can be anything except aggressive.

It does have it's place if you have a horse that is uncontrollable in any other way, but I hate to see them being used routinely in the ring- I have tried this and found they were a definite drawback, not an aid at all, and now use a simple strap, even (especially) on the stallions.

When I am teaching a naughty Big Horse to load my "go to" piece of equipment is a broad chain over the nose, it is a brilliant piece of control/defense equipment and has saved me from flailing hooves many times, but once the lesson is learned it is removed.

Latest posts

Back