Attaching Driving Reins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandee, Good to see you here!

As I mentioned earlier, I LOVE the buckle nose/harness halters -- especially those with both buckle nose and throatlatch snap. These are also wonderful for grooming and clipping.

Those that lie very flat allow the halter to go on first, underneath the bridle, and can remain on until after the horse is completely unharnessed. These simplify unhitching and allowing your horse to graze on trail drive breaks.

Don't forget to keep the bridle (and reins) on as long as your horse is hitched to the vehicle -- this constitutes an instant disqualification at most shows (all ADS).

Don't forget to keep the bridle (and reins) on as long as your horse is hitched to the vehicle -- this constitutes an instant disqualification at most shows (all ADS).
They have actually made a new rule for ADS that not only do you have to have a bridle and reins if your horse is hitched to a vehicle there must also be a driver in the seat unless you are in the act of hitching or unhitching. You can no longer have your groom hold the horse at his head OR sit in the carriage as a driver unless they actually are drivers.

How do they define "actual drivers?" Does it have to be another registered participant?

In the past at Happs, numerous people have allowed others to try out their carts...is this now forbidden other than with your own horse?

What about last minute potty breaks? (Non-negotiable for me...) Will that require completely unhitching?

At the one schooling CDE we've entered, I let Keith (who drives Mingus almost as much as I do) drive him at a slow, relaxed walk to cool him out after marathon (while I, uhh, went to the restroom)...I guess this would now be out?

I guess I see the reasons...just want to be clear on any rule changes (I must have missed that discussion on those lists and forums that we are not allowed to mention).

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Actually, its not a rule, but a strong suggestion. There was quite a bit of discussion of the concerns of enforcement, which is why it didn't make it all the way to "rule" status.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]From the ADS rulebook:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Article 5:7 [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]"The ADS strongly recommends that no turnout should rely solely on a groom or [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]other attendant standing on the ground to control the horse or horses, with the [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]exception of hitching and/or unhitching. If a driver dismounts for any reason other [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]than to make minor adjustments to harness, carriage, or to unhitch, the reins [/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]should be given to a driver seated on the vehicle."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]Anybody that is handling the reins/horse needs to have signed the ADS disclaimer, so other drivers test driving your cart are not an issue. What they mean by "driver" is that you shouldn't hand the reins off to your grandma that has just come to watch the show and has no driving experience, just because you need a warm body in the vehicle. It needs to be someone who has a clue about driving a horse. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt]I was at an ADS show this summer where the novice gentleman driver got out of his draft horse cart, and his adult daughter headed his Percheron. There was no accident, but had the horse decided to react to something, there is no way that woman was going to be able to keep horse and cart under control from the ground. I mentioned the strong suggestion, and she entered the cart with reins in hand. They just didn't know. [/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
That makes sense...actually, I think all spectators at a CDE should sign a release. I thought of this as I was making my way out to a hazard to watch at Happs -- thinking, watch the woman with no peripheral vision get run over by a 4-in-hand...

Another thing that makes me cringe is when people for whatever reason stand in front of a shaft, so they would get skewered if the horse took off.

It looks like there would be no problem with Keith tending Mingus...but he should be in the cart instead of heading him, even with a VSE.

Back