Attaching divider in a 12x12 stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
Im looking into dividing a 12x12 stall with either a goat panel gate or with a mini panel. Does anyone have pictures of their stalls setup like this. Im actually trying to talk a BO into it, and pictures of the setup would probably help.

Wood or metal stall and what do you have to attach it too? Also what type of floors? Who's sharing? Two stallions would require a more substantial divider than two mares/geldings.

We have an stall divider made by R&R Ranch Supply (nice as part of it slides out so can be used as a gate and fit to any length up to 10-12' ft - never measured it). It will really stand alone as it is mounted on two supports. Usually we tie it off with zip ties or baling twine for added security - depending on if its a show stall, etc.

The problem with a stationary gate/panel you have to be able to easily take it down to access the other side unless you have two entrance/exits. Personally if you have dirt floors I would t-post and use and 8 ft panel and a 4 ft gate for access.

Wooden stall, dirt floors covered with rubber matting. As far as attaching it, Im not sure how it would be attached.

The horses are both geldings.

Here is a great idea for a removable divider, place 2-2x4s north and south on on each end wall where you want the divider ends to sit. And screw them into place, counter sink the screw heads. You will be making a channel on the two end walls to slide 12 foot boards into for the divider wall. You can control what height you want and you can even remove it all together, and still leave the 2x4s screwed into the barn wall incase you want to put the devider back in place.

Carolyn

The divider would need to be able to swing or have a gate somehow because its a 12x12 large horse stall with only 1 door. It's a boarding barn, so im sure theyre not going to do anything permanent like add an extra door to the stall.

I was wondering if anywhere made something like this: Goat Panel in a 12" foot section if there was somehow a way to attach it to a wooden wall and have it swing open like a gate between the stall.

A bit more pricey than I was hoping for, but seems to be on the right track. The mini corral panels seem great, but I have been able to find ones long enough for a 12x12 stall

I think you need something like this:

panelgate%202.jpg

It is 12 foot overall with a 4 foot gate. If you are worried about the horses sticking their heads through it or under it, you can attach a cattle panel or horse fending to it. And I imagine that you could wire it to the stall sides or put in t-posts to attach it to.

My local Atwoods carries panels with gates in them for around $120. I am sure that any farm supply store that carries fencing and panels would have something similar.

Actually, what I have done here is to cut down the cattle panels to make a small panel and a gate. Then I just used three t-posts (one on each end of the panel, and one for the gate to attach to) It was MUCH cheaper, though not as fancy looking.
default_rolleyes.gif

I checked my local TSC, they dont have any panels with a gate that will fit a 12' stall.

I did talk to the BO and I have the go ahead to put up a divider, I just need to figure out how to do it.

Is there any way to put brackets on the rear wall and have a gate attached to them, then somehow attach it to the front wall?

I found panels with gates that are 12', but they were well over $300, which I cant afford right now

The dividers that my husband made for our 12 x 12 stalls were a bit simpler.......

He made a wood frame using 2 x 4's and then attached either a hog or goat metal panel to the frame using U-nails. At first he made it so the entire divider was attached to the wall with hinges and it was like a huge gate to allow horses in and out of the inner part of the stall. Later he changed that so that part of the divider was permanently screwed into the back wall and into the floor of the stall..... and the other part swung. I'm not sure how he did that, sorry to say........We don't own that barn anymore.

Julie, will you post a picture or two of your hog panel dividers w/gates?

Kari

We do this at weaning time with our foals. We use a mini panel and here simply chain and snap it to the metal bars of the stalls. For a wooden stall I would use some large screw eyes and use big, heavy sanps or chain & snaps.

What I like about this is it is very easy to release the end of the partition by the door and swing the partition to the side to move horses in or out.

Just one word of warning....with the pipe panels you want bars fairly close to the floor so that a horse doesn't lie down and slip under. amazing how small of a space they can go under!

Charlotte

we have 10x10 stalls and use a 10' gate as a divider, swings back to barn wall when not needed....you could easily use a 12' gate the same way....its a typical gate with the mesh wire at the lower partition...most farm supply have or can get this type of gate... Michael

after reading again, I see your situation isn't the same as mine....I am dividing a 10x20 into a 10x10..... you could perhaps use two 6 ft gates attached opposite of each other and swing back to barn walls when not in use,,,depending on rest of barn layout,other gates,etc......

A removeable stall divider made of wood wouldn't be too hard or expensive to make. It would be a little heavy and cumbersome, but as long as you don't need to move it often that shouldn't be a problem and there are ways to work it to make it a little lighter. I drew up an example in paint for you:

stalldivider.jpg

Something like this, modeled after the metal stall divider with gate shown earlier in this thread wouldn't be too hard to build and 2X4 aren't that expensive or heavy.

Sorry it took me so long to respond! Just now getting back to work after the long weekend!

I don't have any good pictures of my fencing, but did a quick example for ya. You will need one panel, 3 t-posts, bolt cutters (or something to cut the panel) and wire.

stalldivider.jpg

I make all my gates 4 foot. If you did that too, it would leave you an 8 foot stationary section. And I use wire to "hinge" the gate to the t-post in the middle. You can use wire as a "latch", but I like to buy a snap and attach it with chain. HTH!

Edited to say that this is a very cheap way to make a panel/gate! It would only cost you about $50 max if you had to buy the bolt cutters as well as everything else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing, Julie!!!

I'm looking to temporarily divide 5 12x12 stalls........

Kari

The only problem with cattle panels are those nasty, raw edges -- I'm always scratching myself on them. We use a cattle panel as a gate to one of our dry lots. It works great, but we have to have three or four hooks to close it, or else the horses push at the bottom or middle and bend it. Even if they don't get through, when they pull back the raw ends can dig into their skin. Some sort of frame or edging to prevent this would be wise.

Also, remember to put the small rectangles on top to lessen the danger of a hoof getting caught.

We use cattle panels here for a number of things, but you do need to be careful as Suzanne pointed out with the raw edges. One of our horses required stitches after ripping a 6" gash in his neck literally right in front of me in seconds.

I have looked at different 'covers' for the exposed part - dishwasher ends were an option - but I figured with my horses they'd end up eating them so gave up the idea!

I do have a pass thru in one pasture that is like cretahillsgals picture. It is cheap and is quite a time saver for me.

** Question - perhaps I missed this - you have two geldings do they not get along? Couldn't they be housed together or is it a feeding/dominance issue?

Latest posts

Back