at what age

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevycouple

Reaction score
I'm new to this mini training stuff. So I would like to know the average answer to my question. Also how many of you send them away for cart training? When do you start ground driving? Thanks again
default_yes.gif
:

I never do anything before they are two years old, and then they are not hitched til three years old and they will not be shown before four years old.

In the mean time there is LOADS els you can do in the way of teaching a good firm stand, voice control etc.

I have never sent any horse anywhere in my life- this is what I do, but I will always advise other people to send the horse to an expert or get a trainer- IF they are not 100% certain they can do it all themselves.

It isn't like training to ride- if it goes wrong it can go badly wrong- you may never get the horse into harness again, so it is worth taking the trouble to get it right.

Would never start one before it's two.. and dont be in a hurry. Have shown at three, but not a heavy show schedule either. Ha, we had a big horse that was screwed up by 2 'trainers' and we thought we would never get her under saddle again, but did- and did it ourselves, with no help from a 'trainer'.

If you do use a trainer, check out their references thoroughly is all I can recommend and talk to LOTS of people in the area, not just their current customers. A cart wreck can be detrimental in more ways than one.
default_wacko.png
:

Good luck and enjoy!

Ground driving at 2 and hitching up at 3, is pretty common. However, each horse can be different with their mental maturity. Some may not have their heads together at age 2, only you can evaluate your own horse.

MA

Depends on the horse. I have one that was not hooked til 5 because mentally he was not ready to drive until then. I go by the horse not the age. Linda B

I'd second that wholeheartedly Linda- perhaps the answer should be- "When it is ready"

Thanks everyone!!!! I'm not in any hurry thats for sure. I was just curious because I've never delt with it before. I whole heartedly believe in waiting until maturity level is ready. My yearling isn't registered and is here for a "pet" more than anything. Hubby calls him my dog LOL! So have no worries no rushing here.

Thanks again

[SIZE=10pt]This is an interesting thread. Ok - here is MY question! If you have a five year old mini that is pretty small and is about 29.7" - would he be to small to be trained to drive? Not saying this is in the plans - this thread just got me entertaining the thought. Thanks for any input.
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Lori

[SIZE=10pt]This is an interesting thread. Ok - here is MY question! If you have a five year old mini that is pretty small and is about 29.7" - would he be to small to be trained to drive? Not saying this is in the plans - this thread just got me entertaining the thought. Thanks for any input.
default_smile.png
[/SIZE]

Lori
I don't think that's too small
default_smile.png

Its not so much the height as it is the build and the ability of the horse. I prefer taller horses but I have driven the smaller ones with no problem. I just keep in mind what that particular horse can handle. Linda B

Depends on the horse. I have one that was not hooked til 5 because mentally he was not ready to drive until then. I go by the horse not the age. Linda B

Ditto to that. (Especially with the boys!
default_wink.png
: )

And just for the record........my husband trained a 28.5" stallion to drive and he was awesome! He ended up being a great all around family GELDING.

MA

Latest posts

Back