At what age do you wean your foals?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildhorses

Reaction score
I am just curious at what age you wean your foals at, provided the mare is doing well and not losing too much weight, going downhill, etc. with the foal at it's side. Thanks!

We normally wean around 4 months we would wait longer if we felt the need for the foal but I believe it was only once we had a filly we left till 5 mos as she was really mommy dependent

Granted the mare is doing fine, 5-6.5 months, with 5ish months being the norm. I just feel there is too much stress on the foal otherwise.

We wean between 3 1/2 months and 5 months. We like to wean all at the same time so they are weaned with a buddy. The year we only had one, we waited till nearly 5 months. We find they just do better with buddies. We put them 2 or 3 in a stall for the first two weeks with free play all together every day. Then we separate into individual stalls next to their buddy for a minimum of 2 months. Many times we will then start mixing them up so they don't become completely dependant on one other horse in the barn. They still get to play with their buddies on a daily basis though.

We do not wean our foals so called. Usually at 4 - 5 months have been Sold.

Our mini's run together with their sire, our 3 gelding and mares.

I am a believer the stallion and others help teach what they need to learn.

We find the mares start weaning themselves away, and the foals learn from others. Just have worked for us in the last 9 years.

We wean at 5.5-6 months.

Years ago we weaned at four months, but the foals were just not ready yet. It was just too frantic.

We like a soft wean with the foals in a pen next to their dams. They can both see and call to them, but cannot nurse. If there is a late born foal they will often be left with their dam and the other weaned foals. The mare seems to add stability to the herd of foals, especially over winter. Some mares are excellent nannys and watch over the foals.

You can sort of tell when the mares and foals are spending a lot of time apart and not nursing much.

Reble do you wean your foals simply by them getting on the trailer and leaving?

We wean 6-7 months old

We do a sudden wean however, the mares (all of them - pregnant or open) live in the same paddock & pasture year round with their "protector" a standard gelding donkey about 41" tall. He lives with them year round, even with the foals and so when we wean the foals, the donkey goes with them not only as a babysitter but as protection as well.

We usually wean at about 6-7 months old. We find they are more mentally and physically mature. If the mare is getting pulled down (we have one mare who is 15 this year and gets pulled down easy) we wean as soon as we can.

It's all about what works for your farm!

About the same here. I like to wean them all together(I usually have only 2-3 foals a year). When the youngest one is 4 months they all get weaned. I do a soft wean also where they spend a month with the mares in the next pasture so they can talk/touch noses but not nurse. Then I put the mares in the furthest pasture. Haven't had any problems weaning and usually don't get frantic at all. When I have a single foal I put whoever is the best "foaling buddy" in with them so they're not alone.

As a rule, I wean at 4.5-5 months. I begin by separating at night in a stall next to mama,for 1-2 weeks, then separate 24/7 but always in adjoining pastures for probably 2 months.

This year I pastured the dams with a not-so-nice mare(to the foals)and left the rest with the weanlings in the adjacent pasture.This works best IMO.

Usually the foal is gone to his new home before this, but the keepers' dam's won't let the foal nurse at this point when they are reintroduced.

I also spend even more individual time with the weanies and they love the attention and independence:)

Note: Once, I was forced to wean at 3 mos., far too young IMHO.The mare went ballistic, when a short time later, her colt went to his new home.

Like most here, my preference is about 5 months, give or take a month based on circumstances. I once weaned one at just over 3 months for transportation reasons, but now think that was not the best decision. I doubt I would do that again unless it was necessary for the sake of the mare.

I prefer to separate for a few hours to several hours a day to begin with, then move the mares out to a pasture separated by a lane where they can see and talk, but not reach through to nurse. That leaves the foals in familiar surroundings with their friends.

Usually at 4 months we wean the foals ...We never had a problem with weaning them in that time frame and by then ... the mares are pretty much ready for them to leave...We usually take a weanling to Nationals for their Futurity class and have them paired up with another miniature so they have a buddy and it all works out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
No rush here. 6+ months has worked very well for me...I have bred and will continue to breed only every other year, so I don't worry about the stress it may put on a developing fetus (if any).

Reble do you wean your foals simply by them getting on the trailer and leaving?

We wean 6-7 months old
No they are not just put on the trailer.

The foals go into their stall at night for feeding and again they get fed in the morning, than back out with the herd, so I know they are getting proper feed, and what they are eating and drinking.

I did say: We do not wean our foals so called. Usually at 4 - 5 months have been Sold.

If not sold the mares usually wean their babies themselves.

Sorry did not give all the details.

I have never weaned as I have never bred however I have purchased 3 weanlings in the past. Their weaning ages ranged from 3.5 to 6 months and were all weaned by being taken to a new home or show. I think weaning in general is stressful but I think having buddies make it easier!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back