At what age do you find the stop growing

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I know recently you can bring a horse permante at 3. But in your opinion at what age do you find most of your horses stopped growing? I have found mine pretty much stopped at 3.

I've actually had some that were almost totally "done" growing by 18mos. From what I've observed, it varies a lot depending on bloodlines. But, I've had a number of horses who were all but done growing by 18mos, including one of my stallions... it seems so far that his offspring may follow the same trend.

I guess it s like people. And all too often people dont measure for awhile so it ti hard to say when they stop. Although min never stop growing the other way
default_new_shocked.gif

I've actually had some that were almost totally "done" growing by 18mos. From what I've observed, it varies a lot depending on bloodlines. But, I've had a number of horses who were all but done growing by 18mos, including one of my stallions... it seems so far that his offspring may follow the same trend.

I agree with Jill, some do get their growth early. Most by the age of two have reached their mature height.

We had a yearling who was 28.5" in January and by August had grown 4", but after age two only grew 1/2 inch. The growth chart on the info page gives some reference for predicting height.

From my experience, it seems that for some reason, the boys stop growing at an earlier age than the girls do, but I agree that a lot of it depends on bloodlines, etc... However all the boys I have had pretty much quit growing in height at about 20 months. I have had mares continue to grow until they were about 4! (more than one)

Laurie, that is interesting! I had not ever factored sex into my observations of when they stopped growing but I'm going to see what I can find in my records and refresh my memory with that in mind. It seems an obvious thing to factor in, but it hadn't crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing that experience!!!

I think bloodlines have a major role in how fast a horse matures and grows. I have a stallion who throws HUGE foals-most born around 23"-24". So far they have all stopped growing after about 12 months and have matured between 31"-34". None over 34" (yet) like the height chart has said.

Many years ago my grandmother bought a leopard Jandts Bay N Bee son who was 4 years old and 31"-32". At age 5 he grew to 36.5", no joke! She still talks about it because she was so disappointed (we breed for 34" and under).

Both of my yearling colts this year are very mature and I think are just about done growing. They'll maybe add another inch tops.

Another huge factor is feed. If a young horse isn't getting the proper food it needs to grow, it's going to take it a lot longer to get to its mature height.

Well my gelding didn't stop growing until he was five. In AMHR (permanent at 3 yrs), his permanent papers state he is 33.5". But in AMHA (permament at 5 yrs), his papers state he is 33.75''. I do keep records of his weight year to year, and he weighted almost the same when he was measured. When he has put on some extra weight and taken to a show, he measures 34". His hooves always have been trimmed when he's been measured. I have talked with other people who have had minis sired by my geldings sire and they have noticed the same thing. One lady had bought a mare who was sired by my geldings sire that had A and R papers, she was a hair under 34" at 3 years old. At five she was measured to obtain her permament papers in AMHA and was 34.5". She was very mad.

Shandoaharabmini

Another huge factor is feed. If a young horse isn't getting the proper food it needs to grow, it's going to take it a lot longer to get to its mature height.
That's why AMHA voted in that horses couldn't be permanently registered until age FIVE..........Too many old time breeders were withholding feed to their pregnant mares to keep their foals tiny, and then the foals were withheld proper food which stunted their growth. Eventually the foals did "catch up" in their growth but it took a couple of extra years.......

For OUR OWN young ones, we classically see them do about 95% of their growth in their first 12 months and finish off height-wise as 2 year olds............They begin filling in and looking more mature as 2 and 3 year olds.

Latest posts

Back