At what age can you clip a baby for the first time?...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrenhart

Reaction score
This is my first mini baby and I have two more on the way but he gets sweaty when he plays and I am ready to body clip him...will it hurt anything to clip him now? He is pretty halter broke but of course dosent tie yet,It is in the 80's here in Ca. Anyone clip a baby 2 months old? Thanks for your ideas too
default_smile.png
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
We have clipped ours as young as 2 weeks when it was hot.

I'm in Florida when I had my baby in April 06 she was about a month old the first time. I did have a sheet in case it got cool at night. Kathy

Mine are usually clipped by the time they are 4 weeks old as living in Florida it does get warm. Last year, I did have to use a little blanket a few nights.

Barbie

I live in southern California and if the babies are born close to summertime, it is WAY too hot for them in their coats.

I usually have the clippers on them the next day any time of the year, to do beards and bridle paths. Minis HAVE to get used to the clippers, it is an important part of their lifestyle!

Anyway, I head/neck them at just a couple days old, and by the time they can be turned out (my vet likes them to stay in their stalls the first few days) I clip WITH the hair to help keep them cool but remove a good amount of hair.

I have clipped them to show as early as one month old.

Andrea

default_rolleyes.gif
You are all so appreciated! Iam so grateful for this forum, thanks he is getting a haircut today! Renee

Latest posts

Back