At the end of my rope ~ could use any insight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We went through the same exact thing so I so know how you feel. Its horrible. We had numerous tests done that all came back negative. My vet said even though the fetus was negative for rhino he felt sure that was it. Last year he had us start giving rhino shots every 2 months all year. So they got it before they were bred, and then every two months from then on out. This was every horse on the farm wether they were breeding or not and included the stallion. My vet felt since we attend shows and cant really seperate show horses from breeding horses that the critical thing was to give rhino shots every 2 months. It was a pain giving that many shots that often but I have to think it worked. We have one foal on the ground and the rest of my mares are in their final month. But believe me Im still praying to get the rest here healthy.

There does seem to be a lot of this happening, if you read this and other threads. I believe I read somewhere (on this forum?) that 250-280 days or so is a critical period in the foal development, but I have no idea WHAT is happening then. Does anyone know? Anyway, I wonder if it would help if someone started tracking these late term abortions to see if there is any kind of a pattern (feed, vitamins, minerals, infections, ??)? Did I just volunteer?

We know how this just tears you up! I'm so sorry!

We went through 3 years like this here on our farm. We tested everything we could think of FOR everything we could think of.

In our case the problem turned out to be black walnut trees. We removed 12 beautiful, big trees and the abortions stopped. MANY veterinarians, both private practice and research said the trees weren't a problem but our research indicated it might be. We were desperate and since the abortions stopped when the trees were gone that had to be the answer for us. Nothing else had changed.

As many abortions as you are having it points to something enviornmental or something in management. I hope you can find your answers soon because I know this HURTS!

Charlotte

Do you think that we could have Rhino like that even if we don't have any horses going in or out from our ranch? We also opted not to have any of the foals tested as the vet told us that it was usually 99% inconclusive. Unless my vet has no clue she did not think it was Rhino. So who do I believe? All these samples are being tested by Texas A & M.

I'm also lost to what it could be environmentally since they don't have access to anything other than the few leaves that may fall from the fruitless mulberry tree that is about 8 feet away from the lot they are in. Anyone heard of fruitless mulberry being toxic? To add to that the vet said that there were no signs in the foal that they necropsied of toxicity. So again do I believe the vet or not? :arg!

Last edited by a moderator:
The first year we had so many abortions, my vet in Illinois just said sometimes you never know why mares abort(when rhino tests came back neg) We had 2 foals necropsied and they could not find anything wrong. When it happened again here in Ohio, my vet was adamant that it was rhino and that we had to give the shots more often. In talking to big horse farms they ALWAYS give rhino every 2 months to all horses. I know its so hard to figure out what is happening and in the meantime your heart is breaking. But I know since we followed this Ohio vets advice we are doing miles better!! Before I had never thought to give it to the non breeding animals or the stallion. The problem with rhino is mature horses have it and you never know it as they show no symptoms until they abort. When younger horses get it sometimes all they have is a runny nose. Well we all know runny noses happen so I think most of us dont think "rhino" when we see a young horse with a runny nose. So then that young horse has just infected the entire herd. But then you dont see it until 9-10 months later when the mares abort

My ohio vet said in a nutshell when that many mares abort in one year it is almost always a rhino abortion storm.

Sending good wishes to you that you get to the bottom of it and have no more bad years like this!

I'm also lost to what it could be environmentally since they don't have access to anything other than the few leaves that may fall from the fruitless mulberry tree that is about 8 feet away from the lot they are in. Anyone heard of fruitless mulberry being toxic?

I really don't think that fruitless Mulberrys are toxic; I had a big one in my back yard and I let the horses out there all the time to graze. They loved to eat the fallen leaves and I've had no problems. This sounds just "tear-your-hair-out" frustrating!
default_wacko.png

Ok hypathetically speaking.....if this was Rhino would they not all still have it? Or does it just fix itself on it's own? Also how does it make sense that some people can go without giving any Rhino shots and have healthy foals every year and some have to give it to EVERY horse every two months? Those Rhino shots make my girls so sore I dred giving them at 5 7 9

Just kind of thinking out loud
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back