At My Wit's End...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JMS, I wouldn't know that was the same horse! I use the purina mini feed which he likes. But maybe the Prime Glo would make his coat look better. Will be thinking of a change.

Ok, I take back about what I said for her weighing 310, I had looked at the wrong paper, which was her weight this summer when she was still overweight. I just weighed her tonight and she weighs approximately 334lbs based on the (HG x HG x Length) / 300 formula. Right now I'd just be happy for her to get to 300lbs in the summer, let alone her ideal of under 300. I'd love for her to drop 5-10 pounds before winter hits, but I'm not sure if she can get to that point in a month and a half. I did more research and found that, just as I thought, starved horses tend to hold onto weight more than a normal horse. Poor girl, if only there was a way to change her mentality on food. I recently got her registered and plan to show her at several AMHA and AMHR shows next year in performance classes. Any other suggestions, especially for conditioning and preparation coming through winter? I will have an indoor available for my use all winter as well. I'm definitely going to consider that Prime Glo feed over the Purina feed now that I saw those pictures. What a difference!

Here are the pictures of her tonight. Sorry if they aren't the best, they are from my iPad.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I also attempted to feel ribs tonight. My fingers were lost in a layer of fat and I absolutely could not feel them. I weighed her hay and she got 2 pounds of nice quality grass hay, and it was on the light side compared to what I give her in the morning, so I guess she gets closer to 4-5lbs of hay a day. Sorry for the late information, and I really appreciate your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
She is so pretty,

she looks the size of my little 36 inch mare.

except i think her flank is a little bigger.

the vet mesured my mare at 300 lbs in september.

i hope you find something that works for your pretty baby.

i am new to minis so i am learning from all of you.

It is her belly that is the worst. She overall has this bloated look, and not nicely tucked up at all. Plus she is extremely round from viewed at the front

Gads! You are describing me to a "t" !!!

First, I agree with everyone! That's right I do because everyone covered all the basis there could possibly be I think. I have the same problem here with two of mine and it is a constant battle. I did get them off of Strategy last year and went to Purina Miniature Horse and Pony Feed. Their necks did decrease first then their bodies did get a little better with the exception of those two! Darn it. I did incease the Miniature feed and went to alfalfa to mix with their grass hay and it didn't work really well so I'm also still at a loss and pretty much decided that's the way they are going to be no matter what I do and believe me, I've done everything short of work them to death and that ain't going to happen.

I did however do a comparrison of Safe Choice and the Miniature feed and found that Safe Choice was more fattening in their contents so I don't buy that anymore either so I'm no help at all..

I do want to say your girl is so pretty and I wish you well with her!

Hi there, I just wanted to add a couple more tips that might help. And thanks Jamie for the ADM information! We can't get it here yet.

First there is a more accurate calculation table for miniature horse weight, actually three, developed by the Kentucky Equine Research Center, here's a link;

http://www.ker.com/l...ion/N08.pdf. I have tried all three on one horse and they are very accurate and helped me a lot when I had the very same problem as you with a 2 year old rescue filly. Only she was very small, 30.25 inches and always looked like a water balloon. So I was in the same situation tho she was a little younger. I started her back on a little alfalfa, slow feeder hay nets, and now use Safechoice Special Care which has no corn, and lower starch and fat than the original. I did all the things advised here and yes unlike my Quarter Horses, their mouths never stop searching. Here is what helped her,

Besides the added alfalfa, I started using Ration Plus after trying everything else including probiotic paste. It is a supplement for the fermentation bacteria in their hind gut, and I started using Karbo Combo, which is an immune booster and more. Then she also turned three. The result was she lost the bloated belly, quit eating everything in sight including manure, and they all started looking better.

I have a two year old now again and the same problem. Everything is the same as you again, the same feeds, same bloated horse eating everything constantly. I have tweeked her schedule and routine a little and tomorrow will start her on the Ration Plus. It sure helps them digest better so that they lose that bloated belly. Wish it worked on humans. I also have a lot of muzzles.

Your mare is a pretty girl, hope you can give us updates, and I agree that she doesn't look obese at all. Now mine do but they are much smaller.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back