ASPC-AMHR Convention Info

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yaddax3

Reaction score
There are several ASPC-AMHR board members who use this forum, so I'd like to suggest to them that at future Conventions they designate someone to post updates from Conventions on the official ASPC-AMHR website about what the heck is going on.

Just because people aren't there doesn't mean they don't care greatly about what is happening, particularly with rule proposals.

It almost seems as if there's an informational blackout in Orlando. Unless you know someone who's there, or know someone who knows someone who's there, you don't hear diddlysquat.

I will share what I heard and perhaps others can do the same.

When discussed with general membership, the proposal to limit exhibitors to just two horses in Hunter, Jumper, Obstacle and Liberty was defeated.

And ...

AMHR Park Harness horses can now wear a Liverpool pit.

Adding Foundation Roadster was passed.

A proposal to limit a gate hold to two minutes was defeated in the general membership meeting for AMHR. (I always thought it was in the books, but, apparently, it was taken out several years ago. I was told the board is likely to ignore the general membership vote and institute a two-minute gate hold.)

All those proposals still hadn't received final approval/denial by the board.

I'd sure like to know about that Jumper rule proposal to have just one round, and if one of the rule proposals for AMHR youth qualifying was adopted.

Anyone know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! I agree I wish there was some better way of communicating about what happens at Convention. I know last when I went I gladly shared information that I knew. Perhaps they can get something done next year.

Anyone else know anything else?

I haven't heard anything official either but I doubt the board will pass the two minute gate rule. My sole theory on this after discussing this rule with my own director is that there are classes at Nationals and Congress that can not get in the arena in two minutes. They have to accept or reject the proposal exactly how it is written. The way the 2 minute gate rule is written states when the first horse ENTERS the gate so at Nationals it is impossible to get a class of 20 or more in the arena in 2 minutes.

So here are the judges as I heard them. May not be spelled right.

Amateur and Youth:

Kurt Ford

Jon Wolf

Les Zadina

Open:

Ray Randall

Bill Fairchild

Kim Seipp

Performance:

Gary Edds

Amber Montgomery-Kildow

Austin VanWyck

They did say that there were 2 of them that had been contacted that were not confirmed to be judging. They did not tell us which 2 they were.

Yaddax: The jumper rule to only have one round was voted down in the committee, but it had to go before the board yesterday after I left.

Who are the new officers? Anyone know?

I would like to know that too. We had to catch a flight out before they did that.

Looks like a nice group of judges. Did they say where the area shows are going to be held? Also where is the next Convention. Did they also talk about the membership fees? Also what happened to the Super Gelding program?

I can answer a couple of those questions, too.

The only Area show they said was Area III would be in Perry, GA. They said the rest would be in the Journal.

Next year's convention will be in Little Rock, AR.

And the Super Gelding program is alive and well. They said the information was on their website. www.supergelding.com I haven't actually looked at it yet, but they said it was there, so hopefully this link works. Just went and looked and the information appears to be there.

Don't remember hearing anything about the membership fees.

I've heard President is Larry Parnell and 1st Vice President is Pat Sanders.

The Area VI show will be in Winona, MN, over the Fourth of July weekend.

I just got home and can say this was a very disappointing Convention all the way around.

We had NO CHANCE to discuss or ask questions on certain issues in the committee meetings were told by directors make sure to bring it up in YOUR GENERAL meeting the key word there being YOUR- General meeting well let me tell you they could not have shut it down any faster it was almost like a magic act one minute they are there the next they are gone.

It seemed like a very stratigic move to ensure the discussion never came up. THey might not have wanted to answer they might not have wanted to hear but the reality is this is our meeting and our membership it does not belong to 17 people. We had and have the right to be heard and ask questions. If they would have allowed 3 people to talk and ask and vent instead of running out of the room in avoidence I do feel many would not wonder what/why the need for the secrets . In any meeting it is customary for 3 people to talk -people go out of there way to get there to Convention- talk to directors as they are told to bring it up and then have no chance to speak - while the BOD may feel it is hashing over the same thing the members have not had a chance to hash over anything and now have to wait another year.

Talk to your directors.. what a joke call me negative.. (apparently many directors spent a bit of time calling me much worse ) ;) I am simply saying it like it happened. One of my area directors listened and asked questions I wanted answered. THe other one.. I never even spoke to her she overheard my conversation with my other director.. then promptly went out and sat down and told others(including more directors) I needed to shut up I had no right to be questioning anything... Amazing my director feels those in her area have no rights to info... After sitting in the board meeting for a few years now I know which directors I will choose to talk to. They may not always agree with me and might not vote how I want but it is not what they want or I want it is what the majority wants after all that is who they represent.. US

Interestingly enough .. the OPEN board meeting shut down after very little open time.. and during the 2 hours it was open there were several breaks and a dinner break. They did not discuss private things the entire time in closed session in fact I was told so by 2 directors...

Obviously the info we all had was very worriesome to the board.. to hear it is being taken care of well ...... we have heard that before. To be treated as if nothing should be reported on these boards and to hear what a majority of the 17 feel of these forums.. well that is a whole other subject and those actions only lead to more distrust.

Now to the positive.... I will say this I heard one director question things that were not right and dig deeper when given the usual round about no answer answer. Not that it got them far but they tried

I heard 3 directors use the sentence MY AREA WANTS before they voted on one issue so that was refereshing

I am thankful to one director and his wife well make that 2 directors and there wives for spending the time to really explain to me there want and reasoning behind some of the rule proposals. Going into detail as to why they feel something truly is for the betterment of the registry I did not always agree with them even after they took the time to go over there side but I am very appreciative of the time they took to help me understand some issues and there own reasonings and beliefs.

Many left those rooms saying the same thing.. change must happen this is our regsitry and we need to work together as a group and stay banded together to ensure our rights and needs as members are being met and that our directors work for us - again not as individuals or private agendas but for us and our areas as a whole and if they are not doing that rally and find and elect someone who will it is your only chance to have a voice. And trust me you do not want that voice to belong to one of the directors saying you have no right to be heard. I am sure the not so positive things about me will continue to fly and that is ok this is not about me this is about doing what is specificed in our rule book we have by laws and general rules for a reason.

This is about our directors accepting the fact that .. be it the show person,or client- or trainer or friend.. or the small breeder or backyard pet owner all who pay the same dues and registration fees getting the same respect from those we elect to represent us.

I agree directors do not always get the respect they deserve it is not an easy job they can not please everyone. However it is very hard to earn respect when it is not always given and hearing the things I did this year (and not just about me lol I have thick skin) it is understandable why the respect is not always given on both sides.

A final note the most positive thing that came out of this Convention in my opinion is that many people who have perhaps even been on different sides of many issues are coming together from both ASPC and AMHR and we as members are realizing the power truly does belong with us as a united group. And that together we can move forward and ensure we are part of the process

I encourage all of you to go to an open board meeting when you can it is a truly eye opening and education experience on being able to hear the reasoning and other thoughts you may not have had and being able to understand the reasons for things being passed or not and to truly watch your directors in action which enables you to make a very informed decision when it comes time for elections.

If anyone has specific questions please feel free to email or PM

I'm sorry you got that response Lisa. That sounds very disturbing.

Guess we will be at Little Rock next year
default_laugh.png

I do not post to the forums as a rule but I do read them daily. Regarding the activities and procedures which occurred during any convention and more importantly regarding the structure and operation of our organization I cannot state the following strongly enough. READ and UNDERSTAND the articles and bylaws of our organization. DO NOT assume or take for granted what someone say is a “rule” or says “that’s the way we do or have done it”. Do not ask “isn’t their a rule/bylaw that says such and such …find it and read it and state it…if it is not there then it is not a rule/bylaw. Again if it is not there it is not a rule/bylaw. The rules/bylaws are what is written and they are as written. Understand your rights authority and exercise it to its fullest. Demand compliance or work to change it. Understand your rights or authority how to exercise it. This organization works exactly as we as members allows it to if it has a problem it is because we collectively as members accept and allow them to occur. Thing do not change by posting here they are changed by the manner and means which are stated in our rules/bylaws. Again READ and UNDERSTAND what we collectively have adopted and either accept or change it. Every thing we can/should or shall do is all written in the rules/bylaws if we accept or fail to enforce or conduct business in a manner other then it is written then it is because WE allow it to happen that way. If you allow yourself to be convinced to conduct or condone a matter you otherwise have a right to change or enforce then you have done so because you allowed it to happen the blame falls on you.

There is no “they” or “them” there is only “we” and “us”. There is only follow or accept or change you have the power, right and authority to do any, all or none. Your choice. ....Your right ….Your decision

If you do not allow yourself to understand how to do this then the fault is yours

Thank you Lisa for the information and for being the squeaky wheel so to speak.I am also sorry and a little discouraged for the way you were treated and talked about. You kind of expect people to have more class than that. I think it is so disappointing that a (was it a director?)director would talk about you and your concerns in such a fashion. For me, if I was an area representative I would want to know what the people that I am "supposed" to represent,what their wants, needs and concerns are. Isn't that what they are there for????????

It would have taken such a short time to talk with you, acknowledge you and your concerns and then move on. You as someone in their district would have gone away with a feeling of respect for that person even if you two disagreed. That person missed a great opportunity for personal growth for both of you.

My goodness I thought that was what a convention was for.I have found that usually people just want to be heard. If people feel their concerns were heard. They go away with a good taste in their mouth even if they did not get what they wanted.

What a shame.......

Bonnie

thanks bonnie and yes it was MY director well one of them talking to other directors. They can be disrespectful all they want I can assure you and them.. all it is doing is fueling the fire not just for me but for others. The more disrespected we are the stronger we as a group become joined together to ensure our rights as members.

Minis have joined USEF that part never even came up to the floor for discussion in the AMHR committee meeting a directer pointed that out but the answer was basically oh well and it passed although I do not think that is a bad thing I am in favor of it.

The issue of Johnny Robbs book came up let everyone be clear if the book is purchased thru anyone but the main office... amazon or anywhere online- bookstores the place most people will purchase it if they are not memebers.. the money does not go to the registry it goes to the publisher and whatever contract the author had with them to get paid from the proceeds.

I have no problem with her writing a book and making money more power to her however I have heard from her this was part of our great breed pomotion in meetings and that we should all go purchase the book online now or in bookstores shortly (and the office was mentioned) however there was NEVER any mention of the proceeds not going to us. I pushed for that answer privatley with Johnny.(which to her credit she did come out and tell me honestly)

Let me also say this the way we are making money is the book (which has some wrong captions and wrong credits of whose horses they are) was purchased by the office at a lower price I believe we purchased 2000 or 2500 books I think the amount was 37000.-- but I have the numbers outside not in front of me so could be off there. They intend to sell us the book for more money I think almost triple and so for those amount of books if and when they sell they will bring in of course more money then we paid for them . I am not sure if that money will then go back into our marketing budget as no director asked that and many directors had no idea that we did not get any money if purchased online at Amazon and Borders which were the two places mentioned in the Marketing Committee meeting. I can say for a fact Joe had no idea that this was the way it was working nor did the 4 directors I spoke to on the issue. Good thing I asked or none of us nor our directors would know.

So once again we are giving money to the registry they paid 9 bucks we will pay 30 but we are supposed to give give give and not have a chance to ask or question spending?????? We need to raise money buy water have bake sales for congress and continue give more but have no right to know where what we give is going?

This is why our questions and opinons can be vaild and important to our BOD

We have also heard for 2 years possibly 3 now that the huge number of people going thru the Arabian Nights show would see our Shetland Ponys and it is great promotion. Well everyone around us said ohhhh a baby horse no one knew they were shetlands.. now we are told oh no the literacy is the promotion which is a great program... however it is NOT WHAT WE HAVE BEEN TOLD FOR YEARS BY OUR MARKETING DIRECTOR. We were given more the once the number of people walking thru the doors at Arabian Nights for the shows and how many of those would now be exposed to the American Shetland Pony again cute ponies nice of the owners to donate them one was a bit naughty lol but that is horses just like kids bad at the wrong moment ;)

It was a great thing for Zona and Bruce Becker to get there ponies there but my only gripe is the show at Arabian Nights is NOT a breed promotion like we have been told.

I have a serious problem with the book. We pay Johnnie Robb to be our marketing director and in her capacity of that position she writes a book. We in turn have to buy it (large amount) and she gets paid by the publisher for those books. Talk about double dipping. Yet - another area where decisions are made and no one seems to know who made them or how.

I have only attended one convention but will never go again - what an incredible waste of time and money. The directors were not even in most of the meetings and I feel that most of them only vote how they feel not how their area feels. I have certainly tried to vote a few directors out.

But on the flip side - there are several very good directors that really care about the club and their area members. They do lots of work and take a lot of time during the year.

My suggestion to you Lisa - run for director, make a difference.

Gypsygal

Latest posts

Back