Artificial Insemination information

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hi again!

I am hoping to breed my mare in the spring and I want some thoughts and info on AI. How many have had luck? Costs? Do you know of any farms I could look into?

Thanks again!

Wow surprised that you didn't have more responses to your question! I am watching for any good answers as well. Good Luck

From what I've read the conception rate isn't that good with Minis. I don't know of many farms that do AI, easier/cheaper to do live cover.

At the clinic where I work, it's $800 to have your mare bred one cycle with cooled shipped semen, not including board, any flushes that are necessary, stud fee or shipping fees. We breed up to 80 mares a year through cooled and frozen semen, but we've never bred a Miniature mare anything other than fresh AI - stallion on site, semen collected and mare AI'd - so I don't have any first hand info on conception rates.

I do plan to do a cooling trial on my young stallion, probably next year ... see if he cools well enough to offer shipped semen.

I agree with Kendra... With the ultrasounds, collection and shipping fees and insemination attempts, it's expensive. If you're hoping to create a $40,000 andalusian foal it's worth the extra couple grand it might cost to create the breeding as well as reduce the chance of injury with a live cover.

But for minis, which are rarely rare or expensive, the cost isn't justified.

I charge $400-600/cycle which includes all charges except the cost and shipping of the semen.

I do not believe miniatures are any more or less likely to get in foal than any other breed. National averages are about 75% of mares that are bred each year get in foal and about 75% have a live foal the following year or about 2/3 of mares bred in any one year have live foals the following year.

Price is NOT an advantage of artificial insemination. But there are some advantages;

1) Able to keep control of your mare

2) Able to keep control of your foal (if she had a foal by her side)

-how often have owners sent mares and foals to breeders/trainers to only have them come back thin, sick, injured, or dead

3) Able to use stallions from a farther distance away

4) Able to breed tall mare to short stud easier or vice versa

5) Safer for the stud

6) Can still breed a mare who doesn't show heat well

In my experience the difficulty to get a mare to settle is related to the quality of the semen and better semen comes from farms/stallion stations who collect often. Most of the pony/mini breeders I have dealt with collect rarely if ever and simpply aren't organized enoug to ship.

Dr. Taylor

I charge $400-600/cycle which includes all charges except the cost and shipping of the semen.

I do not believe miniatures are any more or less likely to get in foal than any other breed. National averages are about 75% of mares that are bred each year get in foal and about 75% have a live foal the following year or about 2/3 of mares bred in any one year have live foals the following year.

Price is NOT an advantage of artificial insemination. But there are some advantages;

1) Able to keep control of your mare

2) Able to keep control of your foal (if she had a foal by her side)

-how often have owners sent mares and foals to breeders/trainers to only have them come back thin, sick, injured, or dead

3) Able to use stallions from a farther distance away

4) Able to breed tall mare to short stud easier or vice versa

5) Safer for the stud

6) Can still breed a mare who doesn't show heat well

In my experience the difficulty to get a mare to settle is related to the quality of the semen and better semen comes from farms/stallion stations who collect often. Most of the pony/mini breeders I have dealt with collect rarely if ever and simpply aren't organized enoug to ship.

Dr. Taylor

Latest posts

Back