Arthritis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turmeric is ingredient in mustard. Reduces inflammation naturally. I thought I had old age creeping in. Turned out to be low vitamin D. I'm harping but if you could see me struggling to walk and aching joints and hips blaming horse wreck for pain.. now I throw hay walk miles with the dog..carry water buckets and feel 20 years younger. It wasn't old age yet..it was the D. Really

Well, fiddle; I was looking in my herb growing books. I'm dubious that I could grow tumeric here. I'm still puzzled what you do with the turmeric?

You ingest the turmeric. But be careful of how much, and make sure you drink plenty with it. It's a binding herb, and can cause dehydration and contipation. But it has a lot of healthful uses, not just for joint pain.
default_smile.png

It seems that this winter everything has become achy!! While waiting for Spring to warm me up, I appreciate all the advice here and will definitely try a couple. Haven't been to the doctor in years, so maybe it really is time to go get that blood work done!!

I started Vitamin D today and I'll see how that goes. Haven't seen the sun since last fall except for a moment here and there so hoping that's the answer. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

its best if you get your vitamin d checked first, however, what I take since I am low is 4000 iu daily and I prefer the capsules to the tablets. Some friends have been put on 5000 daily by their doctor because they are so low. For some reason unless I supplement the D, I remain low. Not even drinking milk, sunshine or taking regular vitamins helped me. Keep us posted.

Thanks to this thread I have added turmeric to my cooking ingredients and take it daily in pill form. That being said, I want to say the two best things for my back pain in the Back To Life Machine and daily power walks. Walks are ideal if two miles but in a pinch even a half mile works wonders. We have had the back to life machine for about 8 years and it works wonders on buttocks, lower back, back, thoracic, neck and shoulders. It has saved us dozens of $20 chiro co-pays. Saw it on an informercial, bought it, and love it! Google it!

Now for vitamin D. My doctor has me take D-3 50,000 IU twice a month. A compounding pharmacy produces it. Beats the heck out of Fosamax or Actonel for building bone density. I took them for about 7 years and I was having mini heat strokes which I am convinced was a side effect. They also make your bones brittle. .awful drugs they are. I believe in my heart that Fosamax killed my mom. And btw, has anyone seen Sally Fields advertising Boniva lately? I hope she was not really taking it.

Back to arthritis: My creams include TigerBalm, Two Old Goats, Granny's Pain Away, and Icy Hot. I also love my herbal microwave pillow which is made by Wellness Secrets. It will get rid of all types of pain and let you drift off to sleep. Works miracles on headaches.

Vickie,

Where did you get your Back To Life Machine and your herbal microwave pillow?

The pillow came from Bath and Body Works, but it was years ago.

Thank you, KanoasDestiny, for explaining what you do with turmeric.

My last remembrance of turmeric was one of those little metal cans in which you used to get spices on my mother’s spice shelf. I don’t remember her using it much; I just remember it had a rather evil yellow color.

I didn’t even think about buying it off the shelf in whatever form you can get. When I think of herbs, since I’m trying to expand my herb garden, I automatically think about how to grow such stuff. And when I looked in my books, I came across either a lack of/or conflicting information about the use of turmeric.

It still looks like something not suited to our climate here, but who knows... I’ve been snipping at my rosemary plants all winter and they’re still kicking.

Just an update. I finally broke down and went to the doctor and turns out what I thought was arthritis in my leg was an infection. I'm on antibiotics and on the mend and the pain has already lessened but I learned that as much as I detest going to the doctor, sometimes you just have to go. So if you're having any new or unusual pain or symptoms, please get them checked out.

Latest posts

Back