ARRESTS MADE UNDER PA HORSE TRANSPORT LAW

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourhorses

Reaction score
Equine Protection Network

P.O. Box 232

Friedensburg, PA, 17933

570-345-6440

Remember to shop at Igive.com & support the EPN!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Permission to Crosspost

ARRESTS MADE UNDER PA HORSE TRANSPORT LAW

Plymouth Meeting, PA –On Sunday September 18, 2005 the Whitemarsh Police Department, WPD, stopped two double deck cattle trailers

belonging to Three Hills Rodeo, Bernard, Iowa for violating the PA Horse Transport Law, Title 18, 5511(e.1). The first double deck cattle trailer had 17 horses and an undetermined number of bulls and the second double deck trailer had four horses in the nose deck,

eleven on the top deck, and four more horses in the rear of the trailer, known as the `doghouse'. The bulls were on the bottom deck

of the trailer.

David Morehead, 50, and Matthew Delarm, 26, both of Bernard, Iowa were issued one citation each that carries a minimum fine of $50.00

and a maximum fine of $750.00, ninety days in jail, and or forfeiture of the horses involved. A second conviction under this section is a misdemeanor which would result in a permanent criminal record for anyone convicted of violating the PA Horse Transport Law a second time. At press time no pleas has been entered.

The Equine Protection Network, EPN, received a call from an alert horse owner who knowing that double deck trailers were illegal in Pennsylvania to transport horses did exactly what we are asking people to do. She looked inside the double deck trailers that were

headed eastbound on the PA Turnpike. "This citizen knew to obtain the license plate and the name on the trucks. Without her

information this violation would have gone unpunished", stated Christine Berry of the EPN. The EPN was able to determine who owned

the double deck trailers and their likely destination. The EPN provided the information to the PA State Police and the Whitemarsh

Police Department, Lafayette Hills, PA made the arrests on September 18, 2005.

The EPN has since been advised by a citizen who filed a complaint in 2004 that horses were being loaded onto double deck trailers at this

very same location a year ago with no action being taken against the violator(s) to the best of their knowledge.

In February the EPN, and the Large Animal Protection Society, LAPS,www.largeanimalprotectionsociety.org, partnered to distribute PA Horse Transport Law cards to the public. The EPN is expanding our

program of transport law cards to include, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and Virginia in an effort to increase awareness and enforcement of these states' laws prohibiting the use of double deck trailers to transport any horse, no matter what its final destination.Organizations and individuals interested can participate in the Horse Transport Law Card distribution by simply

creating a link to the cards on the EPN's website:

http://www.equineprotectionnetwork.com/leg...ansportcard.pdf

"The first step was passing the law, now we need to make sure the law is enforced ", stated Christine Berry of the Equine Protection

Network."Law enforcement depends on citizen complaints of criminal activity. By providing the public with these cards to be carried in

their cars we are providing people with a copy of the law and what to do if they see a double decker in Pennsylvania carrying horses.

For 20 years double deck trailers rolled out of the New Holland and Middleburg, PA horse auctions headed into New York on their way to

Canada. Untold thousands of horses were forced with electric cattle prods and whips into the bowels of possum belly double deck trailers

in full view of people at these sales and nothing was done to inform the New York State Police, NYSP, of the weekly violations. "When I

saw those double deck trailers at New Holland I refused to stand by and allow the law to be violated", stated Christine Berry, "I

contacted the NYSP and provided the information on when these trucks were coming into New York and the violators were arrested and

successfully prosecuted. We can successfully enforce our Horse Transport Laws, we just need the public to keep their eyes open and

call the police when they see a violation."

"I don't ever want to hear another double being loaded. In the darkness you may not be able to see what is happening, but you can sure hear it. The sounds of terrified horses being forced into the black interior of the trailer are not easily forgotten. You can hear them crashing, falling, and scrambling up or down the steep interior ramps and then the sounds of horses fighting for position and balance in a trailer with metal floors and ceiling heights so low

that when the panicked horses raise their heads they are slammed into the 3" metal I beams supporting the top deck. You can hear their frightened whinnies."

"I loaded enough horses when I worked for a leading commercial horse transportation company to know when a horse is in trouble. What I

don't understand is why so many people for 20 years never did anything to enforce the laws that were, and still are on the books making these trailers illegal."

Every year horse publications have a trailer issue with articles on horse trailers, their selection, maintenance, use and methods to

safely transport your horse. Trailer manufacturers are heavily advertised in these special trailer issues. In the thirty-five plus

years I have been in the horse industry I have never seen a double deck trailer described or advertised to transport horses in horse

publications or at any horse industry trade shows.

What the Public Can Do

In states where double deck trailers are illegal, the EPN is urging people to be alert for double deck trailers and to download a copy

of the PA Horse Transport Law card from our website and carry it in your car and keep another one in your wallet. The cards provide a

copy of the law and instructions on what to do if you observe a double deck trailer. If you see a double deck trailer, look inside

for horse's ears or tails. It is vital to obtain the license plate of the trailer and then call police to report the violation. The

location of the truck and direction it is traveling are important to provide to law enforcement. Carry a disposable camera in your car so you can photograph the truck and the trailer. The EPN is maintaining a record of sightings of double deck trailers in addition to maintaining arrests and convictions involving this illegal transport of horses.

PA Transport Cards are available for download on the EPN website,

http://www.equineprotectionnetwork.com

People can express their appreciation for law enforcement's efforts & urging continued enforcement by sending letters to the following

police departments:

Chief Eileen Behr

Whitemarsh Police Department

616 Germantown Pike

Lafayette Hill, PA 19444

Commissioner Jeffrey B. Miller

Pennsylvania State Police

1800 Elmerton Avenue

Harrisburg, PA, 17110

Background

PA's Horse Transport Law, Title 18, 5511(e1) signed into law by Governor Tom Ridge in June of 2001 and went into effect in August

2001. It is the strongest law in the United States prohibiting the transport of any horse in a vehicle with more than one level stacked

on top of each other. It is often mistakenly reported that PA law is a transportation of horses to slaughter law, or is related to horse

slaughter. "Not so," says Berry of the EPN. "PA law applies to all horses, no matter what their final destination." The EPN refused to

allow legislation referring to 'slaughter' to pass because as Berry puts it, "there was no way the EPN was going to legitimize horse

slaughter by putting legislation on the books that referred to the transport of horses to slaughter." This law is non-discriminatory -

it applies to all horses. The language is simple and straightforward making it easy for law enforcement, even those unfamiliar with

horses, to enforce the law. We refused to concede and allow vague and unenforceable language such as, "hold their head in a normal

upright manner above their withers". Vague language requires expert testimony and invites dueling experts in court resulting in

difficulty prosecuting offenders.

Shortly after the law was passed in 2001 Sugarcreek Livestock and New Holland Sales Stables were both convicted on 31 counts under the PA Horse Transport Law.

The EPN sponsored the Horse Transport Bill and provided testimony, video and photographic evidence demonstrating the continued use of

inhumane double deck cattle trailers to transport horses from PA horse auctions. The EPN also provided written support from PA and

national horse organizations for our efforts to pass this legislation. Thousands of individuals also sent written support of the EPN's efforts to the PA legislature. The EPN pressed for a law that applied to ALL horses, not just slaughter bound, ensuring the successful prosecution of offenders. The EPN supported language that was engineering based, (specific) instead of performance based langue, (vague).

According to the United States Department of Agriculture, USDA, horses frequently sustain injuries due to the steep inclines of

double deck loading ramps and the USDA does not believe that equines can be safely and humanely transported in trailers with two levels stacked on top of each other.

###

aktion033.gif
for the lady who reported it and Shame on them.

If there is a violation of the law I am all for prosecuting. I do look closely at who or what is promoting the news release. For one thing I am a rodeo fan and attend every one within reasonable distance no matter who puts it on. I have never seen a rodeo or wild stock broker mis-use or handle their animals in a bad way. Animals are their bread, butter and PROFIT. The source of this information such as "saveamericashorses.com" is one of many fringe groups who are only slightly better than ________ ( you fill in your own good for nothing group). For sure read the press release the group put out but be sure to do a bit of research about the groups and why they feel the need to draw attention to themselves in a press release ???

Last edited by a moderator:
justaboutgeese said:
If there is a violation of the law I am all for prosecuting.  I do look closely at who or what is promoting the news release.  For one thing I am a rodeo fan and attend every one within reasonable distance no matter who puts it on.  I have never seen a rodeo or wild stock broker mis-use or handle their animals in a bad way.  Animals are their bread, butter and PROFIT.  The source of this information such as "saveamericashorses.com" is one of many fringe groups who are only slightly better than ________ ( you fill in your own good  for nothing group).  For sure read the press release the group put out but be sure to do a bit of research about the groups and why they feel the need to draw attention to themselves in a press release ???
472763[/snapback]

wacko.gif
Whatever. Just thought I'd post the info.
biggrin.gif

Well, I for one, THANK YOU for posting this info. While I do think some of the 'groups' tend to go overboard, thank goodness we at least have people that care about animals!

You can bet I'll be checking any double deckers from now on!!

Pam

lilhorseladie said:
Is there a list of states in which this is illegal?  I would  be interested in it.
472960[/snapback]

I believe that law goes into effect in 2006 and it covers the entire US however some states - mostly east coast right now - have state laws already in place. What goes on next year is a law that covers the country.

If you do a google search on "Horse Transport Laws" you should find plenty. If not I'll dig them up for you. If you do a search under my screen name for a thread last year - Sept. 15, 2004 - you will find the story about the tragic accident last year involving a double decker illegally hauling horses.

Latest posts

Back