Arena/Barn Roofing....experiences?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connie Ballard

Reaction score
We had alot of damage to our arena roofing from the Ike windstorm that came through Ohio a month ago. We were driving home from the AMHR Nationals in Tulsa the day it hit ...followed it east had good driving weather...but my niece called us along the way with continous reports of how nasty the winds were. She said you arent going to like what happened to your arena roof...I said I didnt care long as she was safe with Mom and had our horses all in out of the weather.

We lost alot of the roofing, ripped the cupola off the top. It is 65' x 80' had regular shingles on it.

We've had quotes on the repair in the neighborhood of $18,000. They tell us they can do metal roofing for $200 less than shingles..!!! I couldnt believe it. Question I have is...wondered if anyone had experience with this type of replacement roofing?

Did they tear off the old roofing or put metal over the existing shingles? Did it hold up well in storms?

We have 3 other barns (all alot smaller)..that have metal siding and roofing, they had no damage...but am curious about a large span like the arena...how metal held up in storms?

THANKS for any input you all can share....

Connie

Well, I can't address this from a 'reroofing' standpoint, but our barn, which is 30' something x 70' something is a metal roof and has withstood several near misses by tornadoes (80-90 mph winds). Now the house roof with shingles..........
default_new_shocked.gif
We had to have it reroofed after one storm (house is about 150' from barn). That reroofing lasted 2 years till a terrible hail storm. In hind sight I wish I had put metal on the house also. I see so many very attractive ones.

I'd vote for metal. Not as much of a danger in a wildfire situation also.

Charlotte

We lost a bunch of metal panels off our old barn... of course, it wasn't on that great, plus the barn itself blew 10" off the foundation. Gotta love wind! The lower barn, which is bigger than the barn that blew down, was in a valley but suffered no structural damage, although the floor sand did blow out.

We've owned two barns over the years with metal roofs...........Pole Barns. We don't live in an area of tornadoes or hurricanes but we do have regular high wind storms every year that are at 70 to 80 mph. Both metal roofs withstood the annual storms.

The only problem I have seen with our tin roof is that you can't hear yourself think when it rains hard. Sure keeps my horses from getting spooked at shows that have tin roofs over the stalls. They think they are right at home. our tin has held under some really strong winds for over 12 years now.

Connie,

Here in Iowa people are covering the shingles on the barns with steel. It is fairly easy if your roof is straight/structurely sound.

What alot of roofers do here(if the roofline is straight) is nail 1x4'' boards over the shingles every 2 or 3 ft spaced horizonal lines across the roofline......then screw down the new steel roofing down to the boards. The screws are key here in application. The reason is.... screws keep the roof down tight in high winds etc.

With putting steel over shingles....there is an insulating/sound muffling effect of the shingles....under the new steel. They are actually worth leaving on....it works as a slight sound barrier. In the barn we did....I don't even hear a heavy rain when in it.

Key to choosing steel....make sure you pick steel that has a good quality fade resistant paint warranty.

There is a new shingle out. It is supposed to be lifetime. It's actually steel pieces covered with the same rough stuff that regular shingles have. They look like shingles, apply like shingles but will not be damaged by hail, wind or snow. Expensive though but many new homes are putting them on as they are to last 50+ years.

Viki of T/C Mini Family Farm here in OK just had her whole barn 'skinned' with metal. It had a composition shingled roof and they put metal right over it. Looks like a brand new barn!

Russ covered things quite well. In our construction business we do both metal and shingles. The metal will hold as long as it is properly screwed down. The 1x4 pine strapping nailed over the current shingles gives a good base to anchor the metal roofing to. Keep the spacing of the strapping 2' on center. If your in OH you should be able to get Everlast brand roofing there. It is one of the very best made and has a really tough finish in about any color you could want. Everlast is Made in PA and IN. We have used many of the brands out there and most have a much softer finish that scratches much easier than the Everlast does. For a roof never use thinner than 29 gauge roofing (lower the number the thicker the metal).

Mark

Geez Connie I didn't know your roof was THAT damaged..... Hope you get it done soon and priced reasonably! We got our new house roof on last week. Robert S did it. Another selling point but not in this economy! Hope all else is well.

Viki of T/C Mini Family Farm here in OK just had her whole barn 'skinned' with metal. It had a composition shingled roof and they put metal right over it. Looks like a brand new barn!
Ike severely damaged our home's composite shingle roof here too and we are going for metal this time. We live on TOP of a lovely mountain in the heart of the Ozarks and it's wee bit windy~LOL During storms Steve will call home to ask if there are any minis blown up against the fences
default_wink.png

WOW...thank you all for such GREAT responses!

Russ and Mark...thank you both for such detail in your response! We have 2 quotes so far...one was shingles, the other quoted shingles...and then metal. He mentioned putting 2x4 on top of the arena roof, then putting the metal on. A friend from New Orleans is visiting...said they'd used 1x4 on a friends barn and it worked good.

The guy quoting metal...said our perlins (?) 2"x4" should have been installed flat so the wide part 4" was against the sheets of wood on the roof....ours are on end...the 2" wide side of the 2x4. He said it would be hard make sure they hit the 2" wide board and suggested putting 2x4 on top of the shingles...then the metal. Since it is such a big roof...might be good to do the 1x4 pine strapping and keep the added weight down. I was thinking with snows....it'd probably melt faster and slide off the roof faster which would be nice too. Seen 'snow load' disasters in horse magazines over the years and it freaks me.

Russ....I'm from Iowa too!
default_smile.png
A fellow Hawkeye....turned Buckeye after being here since I was 6yrs old...born in Burlington, Iowa...my dad was a policeman there.

LAURA....Tim wants to know if you use special fencing to keep your minis from blowing through...like small box wire????? That was too funny...we all just laughed out loud!

Cathy...I was stunned when they told us the price on the roof repair...it is just the roofing. When I first called...they said think it will be over $2,500...I had no clue...if its over that...has to be handled by the Storm Team out of Cincinnati office for the insurance. So an adjuster from the Cincy office pulls in...she's on assignment...lives in Montana...here 2 wks running Storm Team assessments. There are so many blue tarps on roofs its unreal. We've had road trips to Columbus and today to W. Va...you can see blue tarps here/there in both directions. Those winds were wicked.

Connie the 2x4 for purlings should be ok as well. we have used them in some cases as well. Just cost more unless your need the extra support.

Mark

Latest posts

Back