Are your Minis always sick?? Funny thing someone told me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
I know someone who doesnt like the idea of minis AT ALL!! She says they were inbred so long to get the result..Not like a real horse. Minis couldnt live in the wild cause they werent like real horses...

Anyway she doesnt have much use for minis..

I told her I was wanting a buddy for my boy and she told me we are SO LUCKY we havent had trouble with our mini cause she sees So many in the vets office, they ALWAYS have health issues due to their inbreeding.. In other words DONT buy any more of those minis!!

I just ignore her, I know if she liked them they would be the best thing since sliced bread! But since she doesnt she bad mouths them...

Now I know there are issues with owning any animal, but she acts like you are just setting yourself up for tons of health issues if you own a mini..

Do you all have tons of health issues with your minis??

Last edited by a moderator:
Silly people.... I have had minis for about 4-5 years and there has only been 1 time I have had to call the vet for a yearling that I had just brought home a few days before that was ill. And we figured it was just from her going from one house to another. She was also my first mini that I brought home. I also have had big horses for 12 years and have only had to call the vet 2 times for them in 12 years being sick. Otherwise the vet has been out for things that are routine, but they also have taught us to do alot of things on our own.
default_smile.png

default_wink.png
You are right-- just ignore her. Minis do not have any more health problems than any other horse.

We have 28 of them -- I think we have had 2 that ever had a colic -- 3 have had a problem foaling to need a vet's assistance. Most of our vet bills are for "healthy" things like coggins for shows, health certificates to cross the border & for vaccinations -- rabies, etc.

That is over the course of 12 years or more raising minis. They are wonderful little animals . Enjoy yours & if you want another go ahead -- IF you get a good one it will have no more trouble than any other animal.

3 years +1 mini= zero problems
default_smile.png

I had more problems with my throughbred (not many) than with my mini.

We have had little horses since 1991 and presently we have 28.

Only this past year did we have issues due to difficult foaling with 3 maiden mares.

I was actually just thinking that miniature horses are very healthy and easy to manage, much more so than sheep, which we also had for a few years.

I have seen some sick horses, big a small, which were due mainly to poor animal husbandry practices by the owners. Not worming and not handling regualrly, to observe changes, not trimming hooves and just plain letting the horses "fend for themselves".

Like any animal they need attention and proper health care.

You might want to make a copy of these responses and send them to her. People who go around spouting information like they know it all, but yet have never experienced it, should be shot!!

I have had Minis for over 10 years. Right now I have 48 of them. They are very healthy and have no more problems then big horses. (I used to breed Morgans) The exception might be colic. Because they are so small, they have less of a chance of twisting their intestines when rolling.(so in that case, they are better than big horses)

The gene pool for Minis is far greater than any other breed out there, so her pontificating that they are so inbred is just her flapping of the lips. Her horses are more inbred than Minis.

I have been in minis for 10 years also. I actually find them more hardy than my big horses. The resist illness in my opinion. I too have had more vets visits with my big horses.

In 10 years my minis have had to see the vet for illness 3 times. I think that is pretty good odds.

What do they know ? LOL I have owned both big horses and minis and there was no difference. I take excellent care of my horses and that helps, also I do not breed.

No, no routine health problems here! Actually, throughout the years, most of my vet calls have been in regards to emergencies (foaling problems, eye injury) or routine care (gelding, dental). I have not called them for general unhealthy horses! I called last year when my yearling filly was not feeling well, thinking it was ulcers, and also several years ago when I bought a colt that brought an eye infection in and it spready through my herd so I had to put drops in everyones eyes. Other than this, I have not had unwell or unhealthy horses that I can think of, and I have owned them since 1994. I find them to be VERY hardy, and mine live outside year round, with run-in shelters and in 40 below winter weather! They do come into stalls during foaling season, but that's all. My horses are very healthy!

Maybe you should be asking your friend why SHE is at the vet to see those sick minis!
default_wink.png

I've only had one problem with Rain that we had to contact the vet about, the blisters in his mouth and that was it. Minis are hardy little horses, i think they have less health problems then big horses.

I've only had my minis for about 3 years now, and had to call the vet twice over that time span. Once was a stomach infection possibly from drinking flood water and the other was for colic. Other than that, they've been healthy (knock on wood please).

I always thought minis in general were much sturdier than some breeds of large horses (i.e. thoroughbreds). I used to have one and I had non-stop problems with him because of "bad" hoof quality, thin skin, etc. What a pain in the butt that was. I was relieved to finally have horses that could stay outside most of the time, didn't need blankets, and didn't have hoof quality problems.

JMO...I also think they're good health is directly related to how they're cared for by their Owners, as I'm sure many of you will agree. I spend a lot of time doing what I call "preventative maintenance" for our horses to make sure I don't have to call the vet very often. Like making sure they have good quality hay/feed, free choice salt, fresh water every day, etc. Although even with the best of care, sometimes they get sick anyway
default_no.gif

Just ignore other people's opinions and enjoy!
default_yes.gif

May i ask how much miniature horse experience this lady has? Im guessing little to none. I think she is just uneducated on this topic ..

I've had minis for 6 years ...not any real big health problems, nothing beside the normal cold once in a while. I have mares that are out living in the pasture as a herd and they are doing perfectly fine ...
default_smile.png

I have had my minis going on 4 years, I have NEVER EVER EVER put an emergency call into the vet. My vet comes to vaccinate and thats the only time hes here. Oh and last fall to geld one. I have had one colic, and banamine fixed that. Thats it!

That lady needs to do a little more homework before she can assume things like that.

Maybe you should be asking your friend why SHE is at the vet to see those sick minis!
default_wink.png
What the friend isn't seeing, of course, is all the other horses that were too big to bring in, that were more expensively treated at home!

Thanks everyone for commenting on what I already believed..

Leanna, she has NO mini experience per say, but has big horses herself.

She just finished vet school and is doing an internship currently.

She has such a closed mind about many things, thinks shes right and such.. I think this is another thing she has no idea about but thinks she is the authority on the subject!

She was definently trying to get me to NOT buy any more minis... Every time she mentions how minis are inbred ( like I havent heard her every time) and they are So different from big horses... I have shown her how sweet and loving my boy is and how much we love him and she doesnt get it..

Her husband is tactful talking about my baby, doesnt bad mouth him at all, he thinks he is a little cutie!!

I just looked at her when she was spouting off. Of course I am gonna do what I want..

She helped me pick my big horse and I wonder if she is jealous because I didnt ask her opinion when i bought my mini. I did all the research myself and bought him. If I had of listened to her I wouldnt have bought my mini... I am so glad I did..

My biggee is a thoroughbred, which she helped me pick.. Then if I say anything(in conversation)about him being a constant eater, or alittle head shy, or he will love you on his terms, she says well thats what you get for buying a thoroughbred!!

Hello, she thought he was great when i went to buy him.. He is a great big horse, he just isnt as loving all the time like my mini. I am spoiled to the way my mini acts all the time with us... So i think you probably cant win with this person...

Does this person work for a vet? If not, I would ask her WHY she's always there "seeing Minis."
default_wink.png

*Seeing your latest post, that explains it.

Now in the past ten years I've SEEN Minis suffer everything from cases of mild to severe colic (the latter resulting in death) and choke, to sudden, unexplained death, dystocias, red bag deliveries, abortions, strangles, common colds, mild to severe eye injuries, seizures, sprained to broken bones, dog attacks, snake/bug bites, malnourishment, etc. That's no different really than big horses, but no doubt there's a reason for the lady you know thinking Minis are often vetted. Perhaps Minis in her area aren't taken care of as well as the big horses (or they are better taken care of) so they DO end up at the vet's more often, or she simply might hear about incidents more often around town. Either way, I doubt she's intentionally trying to bad mouth the breed and if she is, so what? What's more, your and her comments about your Thoroughbred don't sound to me like she's trying to "win" anything, they're pretty typical stereotypes of the breed. Overall it sounds like you're pretty dissatisfied with the relationship between you two on this front, so maybe you should think about finding someone else to talk to about horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
She was definently trying to get me to NOT buy any more minis... Every time she mentions how minis are inbred ( like I havent heard her every time) and they are So different from big horses... I have shown her how sweet and loving my boy is and how much we love him and she doesnt get it..
This would be a good time to tell her thank you for your opinion ..one of those you do your thing i do mine kind of thing
default_wink.png
. I would have a big problem with her trying to tell me how to spend MY money for what I want
default_biggrin.png

This would be a good time to tell her thank you for your opinion ..one of those you do your thing i do mine kind of thing
default_wink.png
. I would have a big problem with her trying to tell me how to spend MY money for what I want
default_biggrin.png
I totally agree. Some people like to judge when it isnt their place.

As I tell my kids- Just because you think it, doesnt mean it needs to come out of your mouth!! This person should check her mouth most of the time...

In the ten years I have had mini's the worst I have had is warts this year.. I think the virus must have come with a purchased horse as I have

never had them before..

Latest posts

Back