Are your kids having a dress code this year?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavensminis

Reaction score
:arg! My daughters school is putting a dress code in place for the 2008-09 school year and I am not sure I am very happy about it. I go to all the PTO meetings and never heard one thing about it, except for on the news that the school district were in the discussion phase. Apparently the PTO was not included in the meeting and nor did we have any input.

The standard colors are navy, white & tan. ( No jeans from what I understand) The schools have the option to add any 6 colors they would like to these. They choose Red & Black (school colors) and bright UT Orange. UGH!!!
default_smileypuke.gif

Can you see the small kids out on the play ground in 90 degree weather with all these dark colors on.

I am just wonder why they did not add some lighter colors.

For all of you who are already in place with a dress code, any suggestions as to making this transition a little easier. Or where to find these clothes.

I don't have any suggestions, but I am definitely against dress codes. Instead I think they should have guidlines such as no short shorts, no sagging pants, no belly shirts etc versus colors. It makes it harder on the parents to buy clothes for their kids and no jeans??? are they supposed to wear dress pants? they are kids!! (I assume this is middle school or high school we're talking about)

NO--Its K-12 even worse!! It going to be extremely hard dressing 6 year olds this way.

what are they trying to accomplish with this color dress code?

Do they just want everyone to match? seems a little odd to me.

Oh, im sry. I don't like dress codes at all. And we don't have on thank god. We don't have Any limitations on what we can wear. So all of us girls can go into school wearing short shorts if we wanted to (which we do in the summer but) and im in High School. But the middle school has strict limitationa like shorts/skirts have to be at the knee, no shoes w/ out backs, tank tops must be 3 fingers thick etc.

I don't have kids but i know that Khols has school uniforme clothes for little kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the higher grades, is what they wear now becoming a problem. I know schools have dress codes, like no belly shirts etc. But what happens is it becomes a discipline problem and it is on going. That is usually why dress codes are in order. Or is thier is a lot of gang realted attire going on in the schools?

They do it district wide so when the youngest get into high school it is more accepted.

Im going to say keep an open mind and you may find that you love it. My son started Criminial Justice a few years ago and for the first time I had to buy uniforms. To me I thought it was so odd and confining etc. Now I love it and he loves it. No stressing about what to wear as he knows every day what hes going to wear. No running out to get the latest "it" thing in clothes or tennis shoes. And now his "going out" clothes last much longer and stay nicer. My son is graduating this year but he now says he wishes he had uniforms all through school as the stress is so much less.

For your colors (which I have seen a lot of schools use) just buy some khaki pants and red, white and blue polo shirts.

While uniforms can make sense in simplifying the parents' and kids' choices and avoid peer fashion pressure, this color code is just stupid.

I could perhaps see if schools wanted to avoid gang colors, but that's obviously not the case here.

So, now the rich kids will wear unaffordable designer red and blue polo shirts and the poor kids will whine that mommy and daddy are ruining their lives because they won't buy the "in" blue slacks -- but at least those crotch-high miniskirts will be the correct color...none of that dangerous, immoral purple!

some of the schools in our area do the tan & white ect. I know Target carries a big school uniform section, and maybe old navy too. Try online, if not in the stores. Good luck.

Here in Australia (or atleast my part of Australia) school uniforms are very very common.

I LOVE them. The kids don't know any different as they have always been to schools where it's the rules.

The uniforms are wash and wear, no ironing! The boys always look neat, tidy and respectable.

After seeing what some of the kids in my grandchildrens schools are wearing I would opt for uniforms any day. I dont know about the color thing but rules regarding what is acceptable I guess I would be for that for alot of reasons. No more butt crack or who who's hanging out which in our middle and high schools there are plenty of.

School "dress codes" can be complicated and confusing, IMO. Brianna's school has a "dress code".

Her previous school had uniforms which was much less complicated and actually cost less every year, in the long run!

If they are going to put all those stipulations, why not just go for uniforms, ones that can be purchased or provided by the school for little money.

I'm so glad I didn't have to wear uniforms in school, but there were always dress codes. The dress codes were things like shorts had to go down to your finger tips with your arms straight down, tank tops 2 finger width wide straps, etc. I mean those kind of things never seemed like a big deal to me, I didn't have a problem with that. I never really felt restricted in what I could wear, but maybe thats just the way I chose to dress. *shrug* Dress codes like I remember, I personally think are a good thing. Color restrictions though sounds stupid. Little kids in khaki pants, wow how dirty those will get on the playground!

I'm actually FOR dress codes. I wish we'd had them when I was in middle or high school- it would have been one HECK of an equalizing factor all across the board! And you also wouldn't have had to see guy's underwear (no baggy pants was the rule. PFFF.)

We did have "dress codes"- or rather, lists of what was and was not allowed. Problem is, the only rules anyone strictly enforced were the ones about graphics (no drugs, no nudity, no curse-words, no suggestive stuff etc) on clothing, shoe style (only in PE was that enforced), and no body parts exposed. We actually had a girl sent home for wearing a shirt that showed some chest anatomy- and a boy got sent home for wearing a marijuana leaf tee shirt.

It would have been hard on my family- we were at that point a single-parent family and had been for ages. I would have ended up with maybe three sets of school clothes that I'd have had to of taken THE BEST care of, but I wouldn't have been made fun of and treated like dirt for not wearing skimpy clothes, or the best brands, etc etc.

[SIZE=12pt]I'd also rather see uniforms than school "colors"...how is that helping things?? Mia's school does have a dress code, but I think it's pretty lax...my personal dress code for her is FAR more strict!!!
default_wink.png
No hoochie-kid wear on MY kid!! [/SIZE]

You might find this interesting......

Tammi

Dress codes have to be reasonble.

Yours is not.

Our dress code is based on blue jeans because these kids get outside and tackle eachother and cotton pants just stain and tear up too easy.

Boys have to wear shirts that tuck in with a belt and NO CRACKS showing. Shirts cannot say anything or have "logos" on them

Girls, no belly shirts and sexy type clothes.

I think you should boycott that dress code and have them make it reasonable.

I have no kids, but was one, once, or so I am told
default_rolleyes.gif
I am all for dress codes and/or school uniforms. It was tough when I was a kid not to have the 'it' jeans, 'it' shoes etc. And it is so very much worse now. These codes are meant to help alleviate all that bs. Kids are mean and cruel, period. Let them dress how they want out of school, where they are'nt trapped with bullies and teachers whose hands are tied.

Pepi,

I agree completely about uniforms...they greatly simplify the parents' and kids' choices and expenses and help level the playing field, as it were.

Dress codes are great for helping eliminate inappropriate clothing.

But the code being discussed does neither...it merely limits color choices...it does nothing to limit out-of-hand spending or to keep things modest. It sounds like nothing more than a ppwer play.

Latest posts

Back