Are you ready?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel this should of never been made a big deal in the first place.. but that is what the NEWS like to do these days... get people all sucked into a tizzy.. Once this one dies down, (which it already is because the truth is coming out..) the NEWS will find something else really stupid to get people going.. It is like a constant daily feed of craziness..
default_aktion033.gif

Like you I cannot believe this is "News" Reading the first story I knew something was missing as no sources etc were listed.

Now there is a second story. Geesh. The real story is this preschool was trying to get a higher state rating for their daycare so they started checking sack lunches to see if they complied and got a little over zealous. Note that they corrected that it was not a "state worker" checking lunches.

I worked in a school cafeteria for 12 years. And I have to say, just because a child is "served" a fully balanced meal...DOESN'T mean they ATE a fully balanced meal! Just as in this case, the kids eat the nuggets and NOTHING else. I have seen many hungry little ones only drink their chocolate milk for lunch. So, What now??? will it get to where the kids are told they have to eat everything on their plates or they don't go out to play?

I dont see how there is really anymore to the story than previously reported other than they are saying the parent wasnt charged for the lunch....do not see how that makes any difference. Of course a 4 year old is not going to eat her lunch when an adult tells her that its not right so here eat the school lunch...the fact still remains I don't think its the schools business what the parent packed....as others pointed out, what if there are food allergies, religious or lifestyle beliefs that keep her from eating certain meats, etc...so what are they claiming was missing from the kunch that they deemed inappropriate anyhow? I do think it should of made headlines, because this is just another instance of govt too much in peoples lives.

I think this entire post really shines a much needed light on the danger of the media and sensationalism. I think the entire topic of "living of the grid" is a very interesting one and agree that there a way to many examples of the federal government getting too involved in policing personal choices, but this is not one of them. Actually this whole situation has made me really rethink my thoughts on some government issues. This story is trying to insist upon us the dangers of big government; when in reality it is actually showing one of the possible dangers of the effects of the "free market" on the education system. It was the CHOICE if this school to attempt to get more students and more money by increasing their own "nutritional rating". It sounds like it was not a "government official" who made the poor choice. Yes, this person made a mistake, but that doesn’t mean the policy is the issue. Any rule or policy needs to be worked out. In this case the policy was so definitive, other times they are too vague to have any power. It simply is a learning opportunity to fix in the future, which I am sure the school is doing. To act like this has caused some horrible situation that should result in the parents suing the school system? What was lost here exactly that needs to be regained through legal matters? Was there some sort of mental anguish I am missing? Do we really think this has shaken the bedrock of the parents ability to parent their child because a teacher told the child that their meal wasn't balanced? I am sure a 4 year old is not now thinking, "forget listening to Mom, she can't even feed me a balanced meal."

In reading the last updated story, it says it was not a State Worker. But I do do agree that that sounds unlikely, wouldn't any employee of the school work for the state?

Nevertheless, this was an individuals mistake in judgement. State worker or not, that individual needs the adjustment. What's the saying, "dont throw the baby out with the bathwater".

The way I am,i just dont want anyone messing with my childs lunch....we eat organic....what I send is what I want my child to eat...i hated school lunches growing up...processed nastiness is,what it was. If I dont want my child eating school lunch,which is far from organic,that should be MY choice,not the school system.my mom works in the lunch room...you woukdnt believe the way this food is made.....buttered toast is a sprayed flavoring....what if my,child was allergic to it,and as mentioned before..against religion. There are just too many regulations and laws going into effect for me to be comfortable with,this...

In reading the last updated story, it says it was not a State Worker. But I do do agree that that sounds unlikely, wouldn't any employee of the school work for the state?

Nevertheless, this was an individuals mistake in judgement. State worker or not, that individual needs the adjustment. What's the saying, "dont throw the baby out with the bathwater".
If this was a preschool then there could be any number of employees who did not work for the state, namely all of them. The preschool I went to wasn't part of a public education system, it was more like a private school. You paid your tuition to have your child enrolled in it and it just prepped them for elementary school.

Now this may have not been a preschool but judging by the age of the girl I have to say it most likely was. I don't know many 4yos who are able to be enrolled in elementary school.

We have a 'head start' program at the elementary school I work at, and children as young as 3 can be enrolled. That means our kindergartners range in ages from 4 to 6. I believe that the 4 year olds have to turn 5 within a certain amount of months after the school year begins to be eligible for kindergarten.

You would be amazed at what some parents send their children for lunch. While I do believe that in this case, the school showed poor judgement and acted quite stupidly, I do think school employees should be more active in making sure children have a balanced meal. We know of several cases where the school's free meals are the main meals the kids eat daily. Then there's the kids who don't get free meals and their home made lunch is nothing more than a twinky or small bag of taki chips (no drink). So while I understand why you guys are upset over 'this' incident, I don't think the majority of those who have posted have taken into account that irresponsible parents are on the rise and someone has to have a voice for the children who need it. It isn't fun to have a small child cry to you because they're hungry after their parent saw fit to only send them three cookies for lunch.

Back