Are you making goodies for Christmas?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
With Christmas coming up sooner that we think, got me to wondering. Are any of you working on, or planning to make arts & crafts to give as Christmas gifts to family & friends?

And if so, whatcha making?
default_smile.png

I'm thinking on it LOL

I actually have two commissioned quilts to get finished for a customer before Christmas, and I really need to get moving on them.

Otherwise, I might make a few table runners as gifts, but not certain, yet.

Nope, I no longer make or give gifts to family. All they do is complain about how they won't use this or that or they don't like that piece... or that the handspun yarn isn't perfect like machine made and too hard to use. sigh ~~Not worth the frustration.

Will be making the neighbors cookies or bread for Yule.

I am either your favorite friend or your worst nightmare.....depending on whether or not you are currently dieting. LOL If it is made with sugar and/or chocolate I can probably make it. I make my Dad several dozen chocolate cherry cordials every year. Mine are waaaayyy better than the Queen Anne ones sold in stores.

I am either your favorite friend or your worst nightmare.....depending on whether or not you are currently dieting. LOL If it is made with sugar and/or chocolate I can probably make it. I make my Dad several dozen chocolate cherry cordials every year. Mine are waaaayyy better than the Queen Anne ones sold in stores.
It wouldn't take much for your chocolate cherry cordials to be better than the Queen Anne ones, those are very icky. [i'm sure yours are wonderful, as they are homemade. I get mine from a friend that makes them, and just a couple a season is enough to tide me over to the next season.]

I hadn't thought much about it up to now; but if I am still off work because of my messed up ankle; I might as well get creative. I like baking; but a friend and mini club member suggested something to me today that I might do. For our club's auction (fund raiser for the club at our Banquet) I make gift baskets. I get the baskets at the thrift stores (cute and cheap and interesting ones). Then I start at the dollar stores and find a few things that catch my eye; like unusual pot holders/dish towels, cheese shakers, etc. etc. and run with an idea. For instance, today's baskets were: an "Italian" basket with pot holders and dish towel with a chef and wine theme, a small spiral Italian cookbook, jar of a nice spaghetti sauce, spaghetti pasta (made in Italy), olive oil, and a cute parmesan cheese shaker. Then I had a "tea basket" with two boxes of organic teas (green and black chai) and a container of homemade Chinese Almond cookies and the recipe.....and so on. So, I think I could do that for Christmas gifts. My friend suggested I start a small business that way. Problem is there are business like that out there already; most with pricey items (which I couldn't afford to do). But, that's what I might be doing for the holidays then.

I'm busy making cards. All kinds. I'm working on Christmas cards to sell but also I'm working on note cards and birthday cards which usually sell pretty good.

Barefootin, you're killing me! Sounds so yummy!!!!

GET READY to post your items to sell right here in a few days! Read the above pinned topic
default_smile.png

Update on everyone's creative items, please??

I have a couple of things that aren't finished yet. I need to make buttonholes for one (Yay!) and have mom measure for the elastic waist.

I've been making wreaths for our home/yard out of junipers. Ours have lots of pretty blue berries this year.

A cookie exchange coming up, so I need to decide on what cookies to take.

We watched an older Antiques Roadshow last night and someone had a 1st edition Betty Crocker cookbook--signed by Betty Crocker(!). It did not have a red cover, but a blue one. They said there were just a few of that edition printed. That is my go-to cookbook; others get browsed occasionally but the old Betty Crocker stays at hand.

I did a few items up for my secret Santa recipients, I have two for two different groups. Just received my MIL's gift in the mail, ordered a piece of jewelry from a friend that makes lovely pieces. I did buy a couple little shirts for my niece; went easy with her this year (made something the last 8 years for her, and I need new ideas, so took the easy route this year). Might make something for my sister, if I can figure out something easy to make and in the right colors; maybe some seasonal table runners (then matching their décor wouldn't be as much of an issue).

Same here Chanda! I can't yet post the things I've been working on since they are for secret santa LOL

I haven't had as much time to make things this year, this being my first year in college. I did manage to find enough time to make an order for a friend. Here it is.

101_2393.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are the two commissioned quilts I made this year, they are for two little girls for Christmas. Grandma who ordered them is thrilled, and can't wait to see her grand daughters' reactions.

fairy Quilt 1 - complete - 11-15-13.jpg

Fairy Quilt 2 - complete - 11-15-13.jpg

They are both around 56x72" give or take a little. And, I also made a pillowcase to match each one. Both have purple backing.

I made a crocheted scarf for my auntie, she needed something to keep her warm at work, so I made an infinity cowl type scarf. My mom is getting a crocheted hat, and my dad a fleece beanie in his favorite football team's fleece. I don't usually make stuff but it just happened that way this year.

Those are really pretty! Was that the fabric with Fairies on it?
Yes, this is the fairy fabric collection. There was the fairy fabric (on white), butterflies (on a greenish yellow), green plaid, paisley (also on a yellowish green) and I think the pink is a floral.

Couldn't figure out what to get my sister for Christmas, so last minute, I decided to make these for her; and, one for my MIL.

The blue and cream snowflake one is for my MIL, the other 4 are for my sister.

Tablerunners - Christmas 2013.jpg

And, I have enough fabric to make 3 more of the rust and fall leaf one, they are in process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my grand daughter liked her cow. I made it with a raggedy ann pattern. Had to make some adjustments to add a tail, and to make the "arms" into "legs". Couldn't decide how to dress the cow, so ended up putting a baby tee shirt with a cupcake on the front on the cow and putting some cow socks on the feet. I wanted her to be able to undress the cow, or carry it around without too much foofoo on it.

Is&cow.jpg

Latest posts

Back