Are you having Rain or Snow this week?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everything seems so extreme, Madmax. Extending the ski season up north!
I am little worried about finding alfalfa this year; the fields are mostly under water. Alfalfa can tolerate some time under water, but this may be too much.
Glad you found some hay.
We did not go to the Memorial Day ceremony at the cemetery as we are isolated by roads under water. Hopefully by tomorrow they will all be passable. Tried putting out the flag, but it is too breezy. Our governor declared all OK counties a disaster area.

Attachments

• may 27 east of bridge.jpg
    may 27 east of bridge.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 2
We Finally had some decent rain over the weekend , a total of 115mls of rain and more is predicted over the next few days. I can only hope that they are getting it where our hay comes from :)

We had three wonderfully sunny days this weekend. It was supposed to rain today, but not a cloud to be seen. We haven't seen so much sun in months. My husband and Mom and I did lots of outside chores and got tan.
I worry about hay this year, too. Afraid we will have no more dry spells for the farmers to make it.

Everything seems so extreme, Madmax. Extending the ski season up north!
I am little worried about finding alfalfa this year; the fields are mostly under water. Alfalfa can tolerate some time under water, but this may be too much.
Glad you found some hay.
We did not go to the Memorial Day ceremony at the cemetery as we are isolated by roads under water. Hopefully by tomorrow they will all be passable. Tried putting out the flag, but it is too breezy. Our governor declared all OK counties a disaster area.

We had rain for so many weeks, then finally dry for the same, go figure with this climate change stuff. We pay a pretty price here for alfalfa since it is shipped in from afar. Same for timothy, we rely heavily on grass hay and farmers were finally able to cut and bale, it feels so good so see some green new cut bales. I hope all goes well so I can possible store up the second cut. I mixed the new with the last of the brown bales so the horses' systems could adjust gradually but they were too wise for me, so far so good. Square bales are $7 here in all the outlets, 30 years ago I paid $2.50. It is cheaper in the long run to buy round bales but I cannot wrestle them anymore without some help (and when that help is available).
I have wondered how close you have been to those tornadoes.

We had three wonderfully sunny days this weekend. It was supposed to rain today, but not a cloud to be seen. We haven't seen so much sun in months. My husband and Mom and I did lots of outside chores and got tan.
I worry about hay this year, too. Afraid we will have no more dry spells for the farmers to make it.

I hope you get some dry weather Cayuse. Unfortunately when faced with drought and floods and constant wet weather here, it seems to have a domino effect for a few years to follow. Many parts of the country have been in drought so long, feed prices are just crazy here at the moment. I had 120 Bales of meadow hay delivered ( my base hay) (which usually lasts me winter) and I am flying through it :(

So heres to hay production ;)

We had rain for so many weeks, then finally dry for the same, go figure with this climate change stuff. We pay a pretty price here for alfalfa since it is shipped in from afar. Same for timothy, we rely heavily on grass hay and farmers were finally able to cut and bale, it feels so good so see some green new cut bales. I hope all goes well so I can possible store up the second cut. I mixed the new with the last of the brown bales so the horses' systems could adjust gradually but they were too wise for me, so far so good. Square bales are $7 here in all the outlets, 30 years ago I paid $2.50. It is cheaper in the long run to buy round bales but I cannot wrestle them anymore without some help (and when that help is available).
I have wondered how close you have been to those tornadoes.

Grass hay here at the moment is close to $20 per bale ( small square) Alfalfa is anywhere between $25-$29 a bale (small square) :eek:

It is back to cold rain today, not just sprinkles but downpours. Wish I could send it to those who need it.
$20 a bale is bad and $29 is awful! I will never complain about the cost of hay again! I am paying about $9 or $10 right now. Three years ago I was paying $12+ when we had a summer drought. This are about 45 pound bales I would guess.

Our water is back on again; they got one line repaired across the river. Cannot drink it, but it's nice to have plumbing again. More rain is due tomorrow; we'll see if it shows up. Roads finally all opened in our area today.
I rehomed my injured chicken today. She got out of the area I had her separated from the other hens and got in with them. By the time I got out there, they had injured her again. I am glad she is rehomed. Just a little too much drama around here lately.
Soon as it dries up a little, lots of erosion repair.

We had bad tornadoes go through East Texas where I used to live tonight, I really hope that everyone there is safe! My family and friends came through safely. Appeared to be quite the storm system.

They have predicted severe weather and rain for us today. Im happy for the rain to come , even willing to do a rain dance :)

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 1
@Ryan Johnson I hope the severe part of the weather went around you. Does your part of the world get tornadoes?

I'd like to know if you have tornados too, Ryan. I remember hearing something about hurricanes and maybe also tornados revolving the opposite way in the southern hemisphere as opposed to the north. Are hurricanes in Australia called hurricanes or something different? Typhoons maybe?
Hope it is raining for you today.

We dont get tornadoes here where I am, though they get plenty in Western Australia. Definitely not to the extent that you guys get them. We get hurricanes, but where I am , we are not usually affected by them. They usually do most damage up north in Queensland. I live in Victoria and we are known for quite weird weather. It can be 40 degrees Celsius and then two hours later it can drop to 16 degrees Celsius . Thansk For the rain wishes , we got about 50mls :)

We had a wonderfully sunny day yesterday. "Something" was going on in the atmosphere and the weatherman said that many round rainbows (we call them "sun dogs") were spotted during the day. I was kinda bummed because I didn't see any and then at the very last minute, right before sunset, my mom spotted one from her bedroom window. It was gorgeous. I tried to take a picture but there was too much glare for it to be picked up on my camera. But it's in my memory :)

Right now we are having to much rain. Part of my pasture flooded and is all muddy now.

We had a wonderfully sunny day yesterday. "Something" was going on in the atmosphere and the weatherman said that many round rainbows (we call them "sun dogs") were spotted during the day. I was kinda bummed because I didn't see any and then at the very last minute, right before sunset, my mom spotted one from her bedroom window. It was gorgeous. I tried to take a picture but there was too much glare for it to be picked up on my camera. But it's in my memory :)
There was a storm on the sun from the 11-13. Lucky you to see phenomenon.

Latest posts

Back