Are you and your partner BOTH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NO!

My husband does not like horses and would not even approach the barn!!

He would never help out in any way, except to pay for them!!

I wouldn't say he is supportive of my hobby, because he would love if they were all gone.

BUT he tolerates it well.

However, if I ever complain about the work he says "it's your hobby, get rid of them and the work is gone!"

He does pay for all the bills and never complains or questions that!

His view is if it makes me happy then that is what I should do but don't expect him to help out!

Sometimes I wish he would have a little interest! especially when unloading hay or when I am repairing something in the barn.

Honestly, if I sold out tomorrow it would take him a few weeks to notice!!

I feel for those of you who don't have help, if even a reluctant helper.

I could not handle what's happening here alone, so the fact that my husband will fix things, help with hay straw, barn cleaning and all things connected with the little ones is a blessing.

If something happened to one of us we would have to sell most of our animals.

No No and NO! Hubby thinks they are a total waste of time and money.

However, if I need something like straw etc he is really good to do that type of stuff for me. As far as actually touching them, not very often maybe a scratch here or there, but he is first to let people know that that I've sold them all over the US.
default_rolleyes.gif
But he still complains..........tells people they are for sale........ha ha ha

If I get a new one, I just sneak it in. If he notices it takes a few days......LOL

I have my horses that I truly love and he understands that but he has his boats, old cars and snow machines!
default_wink.png

My husband is not into horses....at all, but in all honesty I'm not a big fan of hunting or fishing so I guess we all have our vices.
default_wink.png

He will help on big things, such as putting up hay or like this year he grew oats just for me. He goes to some of the shows, not to help with the horses but to help with the kids so I won't trade him off just yet.

Our house is the same as Mona's and Margaret's. My husband is very talented in hoof care when he wants to and can foal out when he must. Sometimes he visits with me shows its not his favorit thing to do.

But he is the only person I trust with my horses!

He cannot understand a person likes to smell, clean and brush horses for hours and hours and call it the best time in life.

In moment we take horse pictures together, oh man........................

Anita

ACEYHORSE, OH HOW I CAN RELATE!!!!!!

We have team "horsepower" around here, dirt track cars and horses. We have had more fights on who gets the truck for the weekend, his cars or my horse trailer. It was really hard about five years ago before HE bought my first mini after knowing my love for horses. I was so jealous over his friends, hobbie, money spending, time away, and I had zero interest in racing at all, so I was alone, alot. So he got me the mini, from a car parts dealer of course, to pacify me. Well, I don't think he realized then what lifestyle he started. Now, five years later, he has not raced in a few years and the race car is getting dusty while he builds my barn and pasture, even on most Saturday nights (race night, he won't even go to watch). Out of twenty or so shows, parade, or events, he has been to maybe five and quitely learned more than he let on. He has even followed me to Equitanna when we were married ten years ago and then to Equine Affaire this past spring. We have made more of a comprimise lately, but he will never love them like I do, just help out when needed. AND don't think all equines are the same either. He can handle the big horses, the little horses, but he despises the donkey. Two stubborn asses don't get along, HAHA.

Now that I have gotten sick with the brain tumor, a marked difference has come over him and he is pushing to get the farm done. See, my minis are boarded for the last five years, so now we are planning for them to come home. We moved in last summer and it still not quite ready. The barn was done in the spring, but the pasture fence hasn't been finished yet. They (hubby and friends) literally finished the posts yesterday. It is so hard to push for time urgency when you can see him doing it every weekend, no race, no golf, just him and the tractor. Plus, I get reminded every time I do complain about time or money, that it is all for me, that he could tell me no, and spend the same time and money on racing. But, it's all good most of the time, he understands my love.

Well I am truly blessed. My husband WAS a city boy. In 1995 we moved to the country. I was the horse crazy one. In 1997 we went to a local auction and literally saw and purchased our first miniature. Little did we know what that one day would eventually turn into. Eleven years later we have 46 head and when I am trying to cut back a little, HE is the one saying "Oh No, Not her!!!". I surely couldn't have all of these horses without him. He is my best friend and we both share that passion for these little horses as well as cherish the many great people that we have met and become friends with since our discovery of miniature horses.

My hubby is not into them at all!!! He wants me to get rid of all of them including our riding horse whom my daughter is in love with and whom I ride also. He'll never be into horses, he dosn't even go to the shows unless he's forced to. Like the show this weekend and the show and camping the weekend after. I don't know what to do as he's always complaining and he doesn't support Cassidy with her riding. He thinks it's a waste of money, it doen't matter that ie makes me sane and that Cassidy is horse crazy too. Christy

Edited to add: He doesn't want to pay for them and the only thing he does to help with them is trow hay into the barn for me to stack.

My dad was the same way when i was growing up. Always complaining about costs and the extra work. never supported us in our riding. It was our mom that got him to let us keep the horses. When my parents moved to Maine last year my dad bought a standardbred mare that he rides on the trails and does a little barrel racing. Where was this Dad when I was growing up?

Count your many blessings girls, those of you that can talk your husbands into loading hay for you.

For those of you that that cant, might I suggest paying for a squeeze at a time, and if necessary paying the boys that bring it to stack it for you.

I bought a squeeze (56 bales) this year that had loafs that weiighed 120. pounds each, and in no way was I about to ask my hubby to get involved, and I wasent exactly right for the job either at 115 pounds myself.

After talking a bit with the men that brought the hay, they aggreed to unload it at $1.00 per bale.

If you think about it, thats pretty cheap if you consider all the wear and tear I saved myself not to mention how much time it would have taken me to get the job done.... (DAYS)

Oh yes.....I'm lucky to have a spouse that LOVES every bit of it...his love of any equine actually started after he met me and I think he is even more hooked than I am if that is possible.

We have many miniatures but our other 2 favorite breeds of horses (which we don't even own--go figure)

are Friesians and Belgians. One day!!

I'm lucky. We both love 'horse 'n around!' Together, we've made the transition from Standardbreds and riding horses to the minis. He's my horseshoer, errr hoof trimmer now
default_rolleyes.gif
, I'm his paper shuffler. We are horrible together at horse sales. We have no self control when presented a wonderful horse at a decent price. Our worst case scenario was going to a horse sale on a weekend between our birthdays, only 6 days apart. I bought him a mini for his birthday, and he bought me a mini for my birthday! The miniatures in the truck on the way home cost more than the truck we were hauling them in!
default_wacko.png
default_biggrin.png
I'm the logical one...I sell, he 'un-sells'. Literally! I had a mini sold once and when I told him, he called the buyer back and said his wife made a mistake!! When I mentioned she was priced on our list, he said he'd changed his mind. He just realized that is the last daughter we have from a stallion we've sold. We spend many winter evenings deciding who to breed to who, and what bloodlines will cross better with our stallions....and what will the babies look like this spring. We started with a pet mini for our grandkids, and have gradually improved our bloodlines as we fell deeper into the mini world. We both lived and breathed horses as children. We've both dreamed of being able to look out any window of the house and see horses...and we've realized that dream. Funny, in our dream, they 'looked' like big horses!
default_saludando.gif

My husband is more interested in my minis than he was in my biggie! He didn't like the biggie at all! But, he likes the little ones. I do probably 80% of the chores; feeding, cleaning, brushing, washing, hooves, all that stuff. I don't show, so I don't have to worry about how he would feel about that! My babies are just my spoiled rotten pasture pets! He helps out sometimes, and he will take care of them when I'm not around to do it, which isn't very often! However, he does most of the really hard work like building the stalls, putting up more fence, putting in hot wire and solar electric fences. He built my very first big horse stall for me and has built me 3 mini stalls since then. I help him whenever he is building these projects, but I still have to say that he does most of the hard work! I no longer have the big horse, but I have a mini for each stall that I have now! We are going to build 1 or 2 more stalls yet!

Even though horses aren't his passion the way they are mine, he supports my love of them 100%. He knows how much they mean to me! As a matter of fact, I know that he wishes we had more ground so I could have the whole herd of them that I want to have!
default_smile.png

Well, here, at our house, I think it is pretty even. We both love animals. John has always had big horses-- riding horses, bred & raised & trained them, for all of the 50 years we have been married and even before that, he had his own horse. THe kids always had ponies to ride - then bigger horses- I was always a bit afraid of the big ones, but always loved them.

When he took me to see my first minis , it was love at first sight.

John likes to train them, especially to drive - that is his favorite, although he is very good at halter as well.

I was over 60 when I learned to drive & started to drive at the shows. So, I always tell people anyone can learn. It is so enjoyable & so much fun to go for a drive together.

I am the one that wanted to show the horses. We spend all of our spare time together, breeding, clipping, grooming, showing and travelling. We have been blessed to have so many of our grandchildren also interested in the horses and so, spending time with us as well.

When I read the article in the Miniature Horse World about the driving hitches being a dying art, I thought how lucky we are to have young people interestsed in learning the skill.

Joseph is getting to be quite good at driving the hitches, last year he showed both tandem & unicorn.

He has driven the teams for awhile and now is learning to drive 4 horse hitch. Joseph just turned 16 and has been driving since he was 6 years old. His sister Jami loved to drive the team as well. She also showed with us for a few years, but is off to Universtiy in Ottawa this fall, planning to be a Doctor.

Everyone knew Scott & Kevin who showed with us for years as well. Scott loved the Obstacle driving classes & was a Reserve Youth National Champion in that class as well.- he has gone West to college - took Ranch & Feed lot management- now is working on a ranch -- has his own horse out there, so he will have horses in his life for sure. Kevin has gone off to college in the forest industry -- he loved the travel actually more than the horses, but was pretty good at it. Shelby also shows sometimes with us, when his sports allow him a few days away. He has also gathered quite a few ribbons.

We ahd Scott, Shelby & Joe on a trip to a performance only show in Arkansas-- a 1 day show-- they had a ball & all did really well - Charmer finished his HOF in Ctry Pl Driving at that show. However, we will never be able to tlak Gramsp into another trip like that for 1 day. Still telling stories about that trip-- but it WAS fun!! LOL!

Tiffany & Jesse used to show the horses as well, and Tiffany minded the farm when we went to shows from the time she was 16 until last year, after her second baby. She & Jesse are both married now -- Jesse also has 3 little ones -- so now the great grandkids like to come & play with the horses.

They both came with the kids to Drayton to see us showing & Tiff brought the kids to Hanover to see them as well. I am sure in a couple of years , we will have a crew of new, small helpers. So, we had FOUR generations at those 2 shows.

So, at our house, it is a mutual passion, although John does much more of the work than I do. He does the barn cleaning, hooves, etc. I clean the harness - help clip - though now Joe is so good at it I have not clipped once this year.

default_biggrin.png
- Just hope we stay healthy enough to keep at it for a few more years. I would love to see some of the kdis take over in a few years.BUT, they all have to go college first so that is awhile away.

Interesting thread to read for sure. !!

Forgot to add - I am now a carded judge as well with AMHR & I just love that part as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are a team. Twenty three years ago we saw our first miniatures,
default_wub.png
both of us fell in love with them and have had them ever since. It is still a team effort.

Every so often one of us will say I am tired of staying home and taking care of horses, lets sell them all, ha! Somehow we never get around to that.

Guess after you do this for so long you just don't know how to stop
default_saludando.gif

I'm in the 'hubby doesn't know a thing about horses' crowd! City boy grew up with a parakeet as the only pet, met me and knew he was getting involved with 'Noah meets Ace Ventura meets Dr. Dolittle' many many critters later he's adjusted into living in the country.

He's actually a great help - has helped deliver a foal in a pinch, feeds when I can't, fixes and repairs things and the biggie - supports my addiction! I am glad though he wants me to be happy and knows the horses are a required part of my life.

I mentioned it once to one of my friends that I wished he was more interested in the horses (showing/breeding, etc) and she said no you don't then he'll tell you how to do things and you wouldn't like that!!! Highly likely - LOL!!

Interesting topic!

I'm not married but my boyfriend comes out to the barn almost every week to help me out :D

The first time he came out, he helped move full sized round bales and the owners were like "Well now we know you picked a good one!"

My husband is VERY much into the breeding, showing, training and all other aspects of the miniature horses and shetland ponies that we have aquired over the years with recently purchasing a modern shetland to add to our showstring in 2009. Scott has done a excellent job in representing our farm and up until last year I did also show some of our horses, mostly stallions of ours, but we decided that he does better with doing all the handling and I do all the grooming and prep work prior to heading into the ring and it worked out the two of us work as a team in everything including purchases of new horses to bathing, ect. and all barn chores we do TOGETHER. The horses respect him better than myself and it so it did make a difference. There are a few friends of ours that the husband's are not horse lovers or any other type of a animal lover and we are fortunate that we do share this interest in the horses and all work involved. We have a 72 acre farm as well with Texas Lornhorns, and at one time years ago we had other animals here at having 40 butchering hogs, 48 head of grain fed and hormone free beef and 12 horses and both of us working day jobs and us farming over 300 acres in crops of hay, oats, corn and corn silage and when we had some time we showed at some of the local rated AMHR shows. We gave up the farming ourselves and have it leased out and still have few head of beef and we gotten into more of the traveling and showing of our shetlands and miniatures and having a great time enjoying something that we both love to do being with good friends that share the same interests as we both do as well.

My husband is not into horses at all. He says if it doesn't have an on/off switch, he is not getting on.

BUT....he loves the horses. I am in the process of selling my TWH to buy my first mini and he is 150% happy and interested in that idea. After my fall 3 weeks ago he really would rather me not ride. And I got so excited when he said if I get one that drives and I learn how to he will even go out with me. yay!

Latest posts

Back