Are you and your partner BOTH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Just wondering how many have their partner behind them 100% with minis, breeding, showing or just loving them as a pet?

Since way back, my husband and I had always wanted a horse farm? Talked about this for years, before all our children.

We have 4 grown children and after our 4th child got into horses for riding, driving and sleigh rides.

Bordered for about 5 years than bought a place where we could have our own horses outside our back yard.

We raised Tennessee walkers than Paso finos and now Minis.

We did show a little when the kids where young, but do more now with our Minis.

We breed, show, drive and enjoy just miniature horses now.

Husband does the training in driving and I do the obstacle, jumping and halter training.

He does the evening feeding and I do the morning.

We do try to make it 50/50 sharing the chores, getting ready for the show, he clips and trims the horses and I bath the horses, etc.

Is it just one of you guys interested? or both and what does your partner do to help with your interest?

I hear alot of people saying my partner is not interested, but is Ok with me having minis?

I think it would be hard? Yes, or No

Last edited by a moderator:
Both hubby and I love horses. We have most of the same ideas. I want to breed some and he wants to just have some and show a bit later on. But same dreams are there. We both came from the AQHA world and showing. Both our parents still have our big horses that we showed on those years ago. We currently have our first mini. We are loooking at moving here soon after hubby gets back from his coming up deplyment and we will be getting more land and with more land comes more horses. We can't wait.

I'm glad I have a hubby that is on the same page with animals. I can't imagine being with someone that didn't understand the love of animals. I do think I hit the jackpot with my husband! He helps me feed, he helps with holding her while I trim her feet so she is calmer. He will let them out to pasture and bring them in and he also just loves to go out and sit with me on the ground and just draw all the surroundings of our animals and nature.

Harvey and I are both interested. We each love them, and we each have our favorites. Harvey does a lot of the horse work here.

Basically its all me thats interested in the horses. My boyfriend wanted some. His idea to buy them. But I take care of them, and I drive them, I train them, etc. I'm sure you see how this is going. He works alot of hours at work and its hard to get him to help me at all. I have 2 that are mine. My mare who he sold to me becuase she is very attached to me, and her 08 filly. He tends to get on these kicks where he's selling everything. Its really hard, I have no support at all and I'd love to do more and show, but with his work it doesn't happen, and when I have the chance he wants nothing to do with it. Just wants to work around the house or ride his new harley. I work 3 part time jobs to be able to take care of everyone, and have the time availablilty for them. I have no insurance and no financial help from him. He pays for hay and vet bills for his. I pay for grain and vet bills for mine.

Both my Hubby and I have an interest. I stay at home so do the feedings-cleaning stalls-shots-wormings and such but John helps with the hoof trimmings and does ALL the imprinting on the foals(he would live in the stall with them if he had to) he loves the foals alot and it is hard for him to sell them. He does the heavy maintenence on the barns as in building stalls and such. Since we have not had a chance this year to show (health issues) he has volunteered to show for me if need be. We have 13 minis-1 donkey-1 llama-3 dogs-1 kitty & a parrot
default_wub.png
We sold three big horses as I cannot ride anymore.

We both love the horses. We both share in farm chores. Walt will show mostly since he can pull the trailer and I watch the farm. In the beginning I showed went with others in there trailer to show. We now have a trainer do most of the showing since Walt still has to work and can not take allot of time off to show. I usually do the foal stare but Walt has helped at many a birth. We both enjoy and do what needs to be done and who is avalable at the time. The horses have a special place in our lives and also keep us seniors in shape we other wise would become couch potatoes. We also on the most part have meet some very nice people with a common interest.

It's probably an 80/20 split here. My hubby likes the minis and feeds when I'm at work and especially when I'm away at shows! He helped me show a few times the first year but was just not his thing. I think he liked the actual show ring stuff but it was all the "downtime" when it was mostly visiting with the girls that was his undoing!
default_rolleyes.gif
Now he's just as happy to stay home and take care of the critters. He does love foaling season and will help out with mare stare! He even had to deliver a tough one while I was at work. I do the cleaning of stalls and all the maintenance and training...and he sometimes grouses over how much I spend on them! But all in all, I think I'm pretty lucky to have him around.

My husband is definately NOT interested in the horses, and if not for my love for them, they would be gone! That said however, he supports my interest fully in all other ways. I am normally the "keeper of the horses", and I do the general chores, hooves, and those types of things. However, when I am away and unable to feed etc. he will do it for me without complaint. I never ask him to muck stalls or pick manure from the pens, as I feel that can wait until I get back. I only stall during foaling season so stalls never get dirty anyway, and I am only gone for hours, never days! As for the pens, yes, I am sometimes gone for days, but the extra manure to clean up when I get back sure won't kill me. He also does all my fencing, repairs etc. Again, he does not complain...sometimes he jokes around...ok, almost everytime I ask him to do something for me or tell him something needs fixing, he responds with his usual, "You can't AFFORD to hire me." line!
default_wink.png
He supports me financially too. I try to pay for the horses I buy and to feed them and pay the vet bills etc., but if ever I am short, and really want a horse badly, he will help me out when he can.
default_wub.png
I think it makes him happy to see me happy! I do know he misses us being able to get away now and again because of the animals, but we are working on that.
default_smile.png

Edited to add...All heck can break out when it comes to picture taking! THAT and that alone is the root cause of more
default_new_argue.gif
than I care to mention! He absolutely HATES it when I ask him to help with pictures!

Yep.
default_yes.gif
We both got into minis as a team and we still are.......18 years later.

Well, i am slightly interested in them...of course
default_wink.png

Well i do not have that kind of "partner" but my father is my horse buddy
default_wub.png
. To say i am a daddys girl is putting it mildly. Mom doesnt really do the horses, not her thing. But i guess you could say dad and i are "partners".

Now, no..he doesnt really have a huge interest in the minis, he does the big horses but he helps me when am clipping and goes to the shows and helps out with chores sometimes. We actually butt heads allot as we are both so different in how we handle things. He will complain when he is twitching, taking photos, standing in the heat at shows, holding horses ext ...but i think he secretly enjoys it or else he wouldnt go with me
default_laugh.png
. Kind of scarry to think one day i might have to do all this on my own
default_no.gif
. Just hard to imagine not having him there to help, he is 78 years old and i cherish every moment with him ...like i said, daddys little girl
default_wub.png

One day i would like to find someone who is interested in the miniatures ..but it seems they are all taken or well....you know
default_smile.png

37 years with the same girl and still going. Cindy has had mini's for over 25 year and started with them when I was involved with rodeo and performance horses. (cutting etc.). As I got older and the ground got harder I quit the performance horses and started helping her with her growing herd of the little guys. That was about 10 years ago.
default_rolleyes.gif

Now days I help with the breeding program, some of the actual showing and some of the grooming at the shows. Cindy with the help of Jose/Kelly run the show and I basically provide financial backing, along with cheer leading duties.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_new_shocked.gif

When the grandkids got involved (7 out of the 10 show) it made it a really fun deal and I dearly love it. The people in the industry are what puts the icing on the cake, as we enjoy those relationships a great deal also.
default_yes.gif
default_saludando.gif

My hubby didn't start out much of a horse person, BUT-- over time he has become quite knowledgeable and more and more interested in them. At first he just supported my passion for horses, and that involves quite a bit: financially, and also time and labor, with hauling and stacking hay, fixing fences, etc. Then he became my "stable boy" and helped me at shows, and learned how to groom and learned show rules, taken over showing Hunter and Jumper for me (injured feet and ankles on my part) and even taken a turn in driving at a show, and showing a weanling in halter because, in his words, "all you have to do with weanlings is try to keep them from flipping over". LOL!
default_wink.png
Is he crazy about horses like I am? No, but that's ok.
default_wub.png

My husband is also not a horse person and I do not get any help from him or my 2 grown children that still live here. My grandaughter likes to help but I find it takes me twice as long to get things done so I often bite my tongue. I also have cats, ducks, chickens and Mike is not interested in them either but I do have to say he helps when anything needs to be repaired or built for the animals. He does however enjoy when he is sitting outside watching the antics of my animals so he gets pleasure that way from them and he will be the first to come into the house and say you know what so and so did? lol.

Interesting topic Mary.

My husband was not a "farm boy" but knew me from when I was 15 years old and hung around our farm a lot.

We are now 67 and 69 and returned to my home, the farm, when my parents passed away 20 years ago.

We got animals.... litttle horses and three big horses right away.

He has always looked after the buildings and fences and whatever project I needed for the animals. He does beautiful work, however the animals are up to me.

He will help if asked and certainly watches for foals when that's happening, but mainly I know that if there is a problem or health issue, training or showing. farrier work etc. I better notice it, and do it or it is not going to happen.

He can't remember most of the horses names or anything about their breeding and is quick to tell anyone who comes in to see them, that it's my department.

He is always encouraging me to buy a horse if I like it, and has an excellent eye when we are looking at horses, but is just involved with the animals because he knows I love it.

If I could get everything sold and the workload reduced he would breathe a sigh of relief, but he doesn't make it difficult for me while I do my thing.

By the way, Reble helps me more with my horses than hubby does...hahahahahaha

My Husband is NOT a horse person. He didn't like the fact that I had a TB when we dated and I brought him with me when we moved in together. However, when the prefect foundation stud for my future mini farm drop in my lap from nowhere he was very supportive and told me to go for it. I may get him into the minis yet, he's partial to palominos and he liked my little pony that I had when I was a kid. So maybe theres a Palomino mini out there with his name on it. He has a good eye for minis that look like a full size horse rather then a mini horse.

No my hubby isn't into the horses. He says he will take me to the shows I want to go to because he'd like to see what we can do. We do trade off the chores. He feeds the animals and helps out with heavy stuff. I really need to find a handy man though cause he is no Harry home owner either. I need fence put up and stuff like that. I do have my nephew and my daughter that both like to earn cash so they will work for pay. We are breaking in my daughters boy friend also, money talks! They are both a blessing and hope I can keep them around. They are 17 but real good kids and they both like the horses. They help me with everything animal. We have cats, dogs, big horses and minis, and my sugar gliders, I love my sugies. Luckily the kids are talking about making an apartment in our garage to live. They do like it here. Its funny because her boyfriend has never had to do anything for his money, he lives with his Grandparents and they give him everything. They have been working all day today. He loves it and says he wants to come over and work to earn his money, go figure. I guess my husband did do one thing really special and that's my girl, I'd be so lost without her ok now I,m baling.

My husband is not a horse person. When a mini yearling preferred to hang around, grazing where he was working, he swore he was going to get a T-shirt with "I AM NOT A HORSE!" printed on it. He likes most kinds of animals in a general sort of way, but considers himself a dog person.

He is, however, married to me, and I was born horse-crazy. I was pretty sure I would be going to my grave horseless, just one of those unfulfilled impractical dreams (practical is my middle name!) but he says he knew better. Most of the time, he is supportive, and really does like them as individuals. I suspect he may tell himself it could be worse, it might be Clydes instead of minis!
default_yes.gif

Interesting topic and interesting timing. I just came in from outside where both Gary (my hubby) and I drove two of the minis. Well, I drove Princess and we each drove Ruby. He doesn't have as much time as I do to devote to the horses, but he loves them all - especially Ruby!!! We both show at the Pinto shows where there is only one halter class, so that lets us show two instead of just one.

Nope the old thing l'm married to 31 years now has little interest in the minis though he does like them to a degree....it's my daughter and l who love them with a passion and it works out fine for us as he has his passion we have not a lot of interest in either so we're okay all around as long as each has what makes them happy..and we can all sit around and talk about what we liked or didn't concering our seperate hobbies at the end of the day..

[SIZE=12pt]Hubby is not a horse person! That being said he helps daily with feeding and cleaning up after them. He knows these guys are my love and my life and he is willing to do anything necessary. One example we just got back taking the chuckwagon buggy that is going to Worlds in Dallas. We drove to Van Horn[/SIZE]

Texas to meet CMHR President Jess Freer to put it on his truck going north to Brookston. Left Friday morning and returned Sat nite so like I said he will do anything to help me with the horses and CMHR Rescues

Latest posts

Back