Are you and your partner BOTH

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My partner is DEFINITELY behind the horses and is very supportive of my training business. In fact, as of today, he told me he's leaving the city and his job in the metro to move to the farm with me.
default_smile.png

Mona you and I should talk!

My husband loves the benefits for his gardens, but the horses do tie us down and limit things like vacations....

If you love it like I do it is not a problem. But if is your partners interest I can see how it could wear on you.

I board, and my boyfriend hasn't even been out to see my ponies.
default_wacko.png

No, not a horse hubby here... or at least he pretends he isn't. He has tried to convince me many times over the years that he "isn't an animal person" but you could sure fool me! He is the treat giver in our duo, and from being a non-animal person he "puts up with" my animals rather gracefully LOL We have 3 birds a cat a rabbit and mice at home and the two horses boarded a half hour away. He likes to bring friends to the barn to show off the babies and they love to see him coming cause they know he is sooo generous with the cookies! He is always concerned with thier health and happieness and will hold them if I need him to when he is around and tries his hardest for the picture taking. I know that when we have our own place I will still do the day to day horse chores but I also know that just as he never gripes about feeding the "zoo crew" in the apartment when I go away he will feed ponies when I go away too... and just like he doesn't do litter boxes (and I never ask him to) I can't see him cleaning up pony poo for me either hahaha

That said, I can totally see him becoming a "part time horse person" when we have our own place and he gets out on the trails driving. Thats why I have the second horse now, Hero will probably be his horse soon!

The horses are mainly my passion but my husband enjoys being around them and helping me with them. In fact, my only complaint is he's TOO agreeable about my hobbies, I have to be the one with all the self-control
default_wub.png

My husband doesn't necessarily love horses, but he does love me so he supports our little farm. He built the barn and put up our fences, he goes every other Saturday for Hay and Sawdust. He pays the bills and never complains. So yes, we're in it together. Are you likely to ever see him in the showring?? Not a chance, but he'll be right there cheering us on
default_wub.png

My hubby is not into them at all!!! He wants me to get rid of all of them including our riding horse whom my daughter is in love with and whom I ride also. He'll never be into horses, he dosn't even go to the shows unless he's forced to. Like the show this weekend and the show and camping the weekend after. I don't know what to do as he's always complaining and he doesn't support Cassidy with her riding. He thinks it's a waste of money, it doen't matter that ie makes me sane and that Cassidy is horse crazy too.

Christy

Edited to add: He doesn't want to pay for them and the only thing he does to help with them is trow hay into the barn for me to stack.

Last edited by a moderator:
My fiance takes a mild interest in the horses. He'll feed them if I'm too busy, take covers on and off etc. he likes to give them a pat, thats about it. Hes been to a couple of shows with me but absolutely hates it, he finds it too boring lol. He understands that they are my passion and bring me so much happiness, just as I understand he feels the same about his motorbikes, so he doesnt complain if I have to spend money on vet bills, feed etc and I don't complain if he need a new tire, or whatever. I think it works well for the both of us because if hes talking about needing a new helmet I'm like "Just go for it honey, you deserve it" knowing that he'll have to say the same when I need a new cover lol.
default_rolleyes.gif

My hubby loves all animals, including my minis, but he's not "crazy" about horses like me. He loves that I'm happy and since I've gotten them, I don't give him a hard time when he wants to go hunting (which is like every weekend between October and January) !!!
default_new_shocked.gif
He lovingly helps me with the "heavy" stuff like getting/stacking hay, etc.
default_smile.png
I'm on my own for the daily chores, hooves, etc., but I'm not complaining either. He's wonderful about helping me out when I'm really sick or if I get the chance to go away for maybe a day or so (once in about a blue moon!). I think he gets a little jealous though when I give them so much attention and then I'm too tired for him!
default_wink.png

Thank goodness he is as obsessed as me and my daughter are, I know I couldn't do it without his support and help.

Oh, I love answering this question.

default_laugh.png
One day the ultimatum came up "It's either me or the horses"...well, guess which one I picked!!!
default_saludando.gif
default_laugh.png

One of the best decisions I ever made!
default_saludando.gif

Liz R.

My husband is definately NOT interested in the horses, and if not for my love for them, they would be gone! That said however, he supports my interest fully in all other ways. I am normally the "keeper of the horses", and I do the general chores, hooves, and those types of things. However, when I am away and unable to feed etc. he will do it for me without complaint. I never ask him to muck stalls or pick manure from the pens, as I feel that can wait until I get back. I only stall during foaling season so stalls never get dirty anyway, and I am only gone for hours, never days! As for the pens, yes, I am sometimes gone for days, but the extra manure to clean up when I get back sure won't kill me. He also does all my fencing, repairs etc. Again, he does not complain...sometimes he jokes around...ok, almost everytime I ask him to do something for me or tell him something needs fixing, he responds with his usual, "You can't AFFORD to hire me." line!
default_wink.png
He supports me financially too. I try to pay for the horses I buy and to feed them and pay the vet bills etc., but if ever I am short, and really want a horse badly, he will help me out when he can.
default_wub.png
I think it makes him happy to see me happy! I do know he misses us being able to get away now and again because of the animals, but we are working on that.
default_smile.png

Edited to add...All heck can break out when it comes to picture taking! THAT and that alone is the root cause of more
default_new_argue.gif
than I care to mention! He absolutely HATES it when I ask him to help with pictures!
Oh you and me both on this part!! I get soo frustrated when I can't get pictures of my guys standing. He gets the same way when I bother to ask him to help. I'm very passionate about pictures, I have thousands. He doesn't seem to share the same feelings though.
default_gaah.gif

Nice topic to answer and read!!

My husband helped pick my baby colts out, built the stalls and 3 pasture fences, feeds grain morning and night, brings them in at night, leaves them out in the morning, goes to buy the hay and feed and helps to clean the stalls for me.

He is not a horse person but he likes to make things easy and nice for me. We both have a nice garden from them and a living picture all day everyday of two beautiful stallions out grazing and playing that can not be replaced.

FLFlyingW

My hubby is not a horse person either but he knows they make me happy and that is what makes him happy.

He helps when I really need him to and fixes (or makes sure it gets fixed) whatever I tell him needs to be fixed. He also makes sure my hay is put up and bailed the way I want it bailed. He will go horse camping with me and is happy to sit in camp while I am out riding with the group. If I'm not home and he sees there is a problem he will do his best to take care of it even if it is just shutting one of them in the barn.

He loves to fish and I don't, so I tell him to go catch lots of fish and have fun.

Well, when we met, Craig had no interest in horses. Regular horses scared him. But he really liked the minis.

I co-owned a bs paint mare with the guy I dated before Craig. When that guy and I ended our relationship, I bought his share of the mare, and gave her to Craig (perfect hubby horse). After three years with only getting him on three times, I gave her to a friend! LOL

Craig is over his fear of the regular horses, but still doesn't care to ride. He does like to talk to them, pet them, ect though.

He doesn't like horse shows. He goes to them with me, supports me, helps me, but he'll never show in them. But he's a great helper and photographer for me ;) (big horses or minis).

Then after awhile he decided to learn to drive and joined the drill team I'm on as a flag horse (they bring in the team, then lead the team out). He was using one of my horses, my combined driving horse. But he decided he wanted his OWN driving horse, and that was a GREAT day for me ;)

Now he has TWO driving horses. One he does the drill team with: and now he does the drill and has performed it (but he prefers the flag position, doesn't like to be the center of attention or worry about messing up lol) AND he does combined driving. He really likes that
default_smile.png

He also enjoys the babies. Our first baby, I was at work (watching via marestare) and left when she was in labor, but I didn't make it home in time. I was on the phone the whole drive home telling him what to do, but he delivered Sierra by himself
default_smile.png
(haha ok, COCOA did, but you know what I mean). He loves the babies.

He feeds them, plays with them, does anything I need help with, is happy to go to shows (as long as football isnt' on lol), ect. He'll never be the horse-obsessed person I am, but I am VERY happy with his involvement with them
default_smile.png

Jessi

Liz R, you sure did make the right decision haha! I would have done the same thing!!!

One thing that REALLY got me interested in Craig: he was talking about a lab he had. His sister has Bronco now, because it was a better situation for Bronco (Craig's other dogs weren't friendly with him). But anyhow, he needed TWO knee replacements. Lots of $$$, and I know a lot of people wouldn't spend it on a dog. But not Craig, he got Bronco the surgery! That told me what a good heart he has for animals
default_smile.png

A love of animals (or at least liking them) was a requirement for anyone I would date lol! They had to understand I"m obsessed with animals, and will ALWAYS have mulitple dogs, cats, and horses ;)

Jessi

Oh, I love answering this question.
default_laugh.png
One day the ultimatum came up "It's either me or the horses"...well, guess which one I picked!!!
default_saludando.gif
default_laugh.png

One of the best decisions I ever made!
default_saludando.gif

Liz R.
Liz --

You need that t-shirt:

[SIZE=10pt]I Got A Horse For My Cowboy[/SIZE](best trade I ever made!)
Jill

My hubby likes to say that his dad and I wanted the horses and he had no choice. Now he does most of the showing and I have to work to get him to sell any one of our horses--and we have several dozen. I will say, "someone has emailed about 'special horse'--how much do we want for her/him" and he will put a rediculous price on her/him. Then I contact potential buyer and give a much more reasonable price and don't ask him again
default_biggrin.png
I love the horses, but can sell most of them to select buyers. I do have a couple of favorites that will die here if I have a choice and so does he. He just has a much harder time selling than I do. I want good homes, but can say goodbye if they will be taken care of. Also, every horse is perfect to him. He doesn't ever see a fault in any of his horses. That from someone that says we 'forced' him into the mini business.
default_new_rofl.gif

Mona... I can so identify with you on many points..

My husband is definatly not a horse person but we work it out anyway..

He did not even know when one of my mares was ready to foal this year that she was even pregnant!

I have learned to keep my mouth shut about the horses, and pick other topics to talk about.

(And believe me we have plenty to choose from.) lol

They are my secret delight, and since I like being an outdoor person, they fit right in!

And I know better than to let my husband to help me take photographs of my horses, even though he keeps telling me that he could get the best one...If I just give him a chance.

He saw all the hoopla that goes on when I take pictures with my oldest daughter, and he tells me all the time how much time, and energy he would save me if I just let him take the pictures insted..
default_laugh.png

But I value our marriage too much to let him do that,
default_wink.png
so we dont go there.

I do all the horse work, and most of all the yard work, and dont ask him to bother with anything involving horses, and that keeps things rolling smoothly, and everyone happy.
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back