Are these appy spots?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindyLee

Reaction score
Last question of my colt for awhile.

So I clipped his lovely red sorrel baby fuzz yesterday and I knew he was going to be a roan, but the spots have me scratching my head. His sire is my King Supreme son who is a buckskin roan, Little Kings Sentra Supreme, which I dont believe has any appy. His dam, my buckskin mare(AMHA) Alvadars Champagne Elegance (AMHR) KSB Champagene Elegance, I'm not sure about. I know she has some blk/whit pintos on her sires side but know clue from her dams side.

Are these just spots or possibly true appy spots?

I counted 18 spots total.

THANKS!

IMG00496-20120620-1411.jpg

IMG00497-20120620-1411.jpg

Does he have any other appy characteristics, like mottled lips, white around the eyes? They could be bend or spots, or smut marks, lots of sorrels have smut marks. Maybe an appy breeder will chime in with more info for you. He really is a cute guy!

Not appy, bend'or spots
default_smile.png

They might be Bend Or Spots, which are dark smudgy spots in the coat, and seem to be more commonly found on red-based horses. Here's wikipedia definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bend-Or_spots

And, in that definition they talk about dark spots found on roans, so it could be those type of spots.

Thats what I figured! But had to ask! Seems like Im pretty educated in minis and then the last 24 hrs excpecally with this lil boy, I feel like Im learning so much more!

THANKS GUYS!

I did however poke fun at a friend of mine who now owns Scott Creek Tatoo who is breeding for appys, and pintoloosas and all she got where pintos or solids... Told her I got more spots then her from 2 solids! LOL

If your horse has no Appy characteristics, they would definitely not be Appy spots.

If you have a colt, check in all places they can hide appy characteristics. My colt is just like his dad and keeps his pink skin "private".

NOPE all black skin and yellow hooves! Did'nt think appy but need more opinions!

I'll register him as a sorrel red roan.

THANKS!

His name is... Silver Maples Century Supreme "Duke"

Whats everyone think? Hubby named him and for once did a good job! No stupid names this time like he always comes up with!

Last edited by a moderator:
If he's a true roan they look like they are probably roan "corn" spots. They show up at shedding time (or when clipped) where the coat has been damaged. Some years you will see a lot of them, some none at all, depends on if they've been bit, kicked, scratched, etc. Corn spots are really noticiable on blue and bay roans but often don't stand out as much on chestnut based roans except when clipped.

I swear, I learn something new everyday, I have several blue roans and glad to know they are called corn spots, PLease keep giving me an education, I'm loving it.

Latest posts

Back