Are there any other people here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marty forgot one of the biggest drawbacks to showing. Eating TONS of DIRT! I showed 4-H for 12 years every weekend and then another 7 years of Q.H.'s Its a lot of work. But I miss it. As soon as my 2 are trained I'll be out there. But this time, just for the fun of it.

I have two older mares with foals on their side now and I seriously think they would go nuts if they didn't have a baby to raise..
Not likely - they might simply enjoy a quiet summer without a little squirt pestering them.... :lol:

I have a mini and i dont show him he gets lots of attention at home!! :aktion033: I have made some jumps so ive started to do that and he loves it
default_yes.gif
: ... Showing is'nt really for me but in big horses i prefer it... With the mini's i prefer to have a bit of fun not taking stuff seriously like some people when they showing there mini's, its not the end of the world if people dont show there's lots of other things to do like jumping or driving etc :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:

We also have a small herd and do not show..I am not a competative person.

They give us great joy. I have a 2 1/2 year old grand daughter who is a perfect lil farmhand, gaining wonderful experience with animals..care, play...birth and death. We also have pygmy goats..which are a HOOT..make us laugh daily.....basically we just adore our little horses..our little goats...the little people who come to visit..and our little farm :0)

:new_shocked: :new_shocked: I came on just a little time ago and I couldn't believe my eyes, with how many responses I've gotten. To be honest, I thought that several of the people who posted on here were show'ers. I'm really glad that I ended up posting this thread. It seems like no matter who I talk to that owns minis, I get the question "Do you plan to show?". Then when it seems like everything is show based on here, I really got to wondering if I was a diamond in the rough. Glad to see that others out there also lead average lives where their animals are concerned.

I've actually learned quite a bit from this post. One thing being that people cart train their horses with no desire to show. I thought it was for showing, but it makes since that this would be just for fun too, now that I think about it.

Marty, your post cracked me up. I feel the same way, but my fear is the cart. Being overweight, there is no way I would dream about making a tiny little horse pull my big butt around. There are several clips of movies that come to mind (John Candy in The great outdoors, when the horse doesn't want him to ride it, and also a movie that had the Fat Boys in it...one gets on the horse and it lays down.
default_wink.png
: ) I could just imagine my little girl trying to huff and puff her way up a hill, as I am in the back laughing and having a grand ole time.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

WantMiniMore, please don't be discouraged by the posts here. If you have any yearning to show, do it. You may or may not like it, but at least you can make the decision after doing it.
default_yes.gif
: I mean, on the other thread about why people show, you can tell that those people LOVE doing it. There are just two types of people out there, and you need to see which one you are.

Thanks for all the replies. This has been a real eye opener for me. I no longer feel like one of the elite few. By the way, do you guys condition your horses that don't show? No body answered that earlier except Marty.

kanos keep in mind that everything cycles on the forum. doing show season of course youll see lots of show posts. during foaling season lots of foaling posts. but that doesnt mean that everyone here shows or breeds
default_smile.png
I have seen several times ppl complain and want seperate forums for foaling or showing. im glad mary lou doesnt do that though. it just goes with the specific time of year

I have shown quite a bit over the years. Haven't shown big horses in a long time. Started showing the minis and liked it, but there was some people I had personality clashes with that just burned me out..... (ie: complaining after every class that they should have won). The final straw for me with that farm was when this person told me I didn't deserve an awesome win I had in a driving class. Made me cry. It just wasn't worth it.

I bought a really nice mini gelding last year and kept him with the breeder in training. I showed one time and won the class(amazingly enough) under one judge. They showed him for several months with much success, but I really enjoyed just watching more than showing. So my now topnotch show gelding is looking beautiful in my backyard and I'm at peace with it.

Just recently I went to see a friend of mine show at a paint show. I waited around all day to watch her show one class. They had 4 judges and it took forever. I went to say goodbye to her after her class and there was someone next to her complaining about how the taller horses(these were big horses) were placing(this was a hunt seat class). All I could think to myself was here we go again. So I gathered my son and quickly found my car! Don't miss that stuff at all.

I find more joy in watching my horses play and graze then anything.

Kay...that makes perfect sense. I have only been here since February, and I assume that is when the show season is beginning?

I think the hardest part is even if a thread doesn't originally have to do with showing, it ends up turning that way... it seems. Please don't get me wrong, I know it is important for a lot of the people here, but there are those people that don't show and it is hard for a discussion to take place when it is turned towards showing constantly. I understand if that post is supposed to be show based, because then we have the choice to click into it or not (to read), but sometimes a normal post gets carried away with things like "What is appropriate in the show ring", "What judges look for", "What the shows are leaning towards (like in regards to conformation or refinement)", etc. I am assuming that sometimes, us non-show'ers just want to have a "pet" thread without all the put downs that come... if it should be bred, or showed, or it's faults.

Again, I never meant to turn this into a "show vs non-show" thread. I really do appreciate all the wonderful posts though.

I showed for many years but do not show anymore. My minis are mostly pets now but I do a live Natvity scene every Christmas, have done parades and convalescent homes.

painthorselover - I love the picture in your advatar!

I don't show, been in the local parade and thought about going to the county fair but I can't be gone for days in a row from home and I will not leave my minis there without me. So we just love them here mostly :bgrin

Well, I'm at fault for one of the "please help me with horse prepping for a show" posts.
default_whistling.gif
: lol

I actually don't show...well, I did just do that one, but it was more of a clinic. Does that count?? lol I can say that by going, I learned a lot and I'm happy that I went. I didn't go to place, I went to learn.

Overall, I am NOT a competitive person. My motto for this show was "I don't need someone to give me a ribbon to tell me my horse is pretty". (I DO know that it's not that black and white!) I'm not trying to sound snobby at all...but let's face it...no matter if you have a tip top show horse or a pasture ornament, we ALL think are horses are pretty and love them just the same!
default_wink.png
:

I got my first pony when I was seven and my parents (not horsie folks), put me on her bareback and said, "go have fun". I've never had a formal lesson, I've never been in a formal show, I just never really thought about showing. With my full size horses, I did parades, rode in events that sponsored therapeutic riding, helped teach some young girls basic horsemanship, turned a "spaz" horse into a sweet horse that ended up going to a friend for her 8 yr old daughter, took them to a few school events, etc. I have always been the "bareback backyard rider". :xreiter: I've always done what my parents told me to that very first day..."go have fun". I am by NO means saying that people who show don't have fun...for me, it just isn't MY kind of fun.

I would rather take them in parades or give my kids a bareback ride, see what treat concoction I can come up with, braid their manes and put bows in them, brush them 'til there's no tomorrow. I like to just "be". I have intentions on driving...for fun! I love the fact that my toddler daughter is growing up with a love for horses. It makes my heart flutter when she tries to nicker back to them!
default_wub.png
:

Do show people feel this way?? I absolutely think so!!!
default_yes.gif
: I can't say that I won't go in another local show, but I can say that I'm not looking to go in one anytime soon either. There was so much prep work to be done and with running a daycare and a p/t job at a tack shop, 3 kids, husband works f/t and goes to school....it just doesn't really fit into my lifestyle right now. Applause to people who do show and put in all that work! :worshippy: I got a very small taste of what is expected and I was exhausted!
default_wacko.png
:

I don't show either. As others have said, I go for walks, drive down the road, go for swims in the river together, hike in the woods, etc. I love their smell, the sound of them eating, the warmness under their manes on a cold winter day, the nicker in the morning when I head to the barn.

I've waited my whole life to have a horse and I got my boys 4 years ago when I was 45 and I thank God for every day I have with them.

We also have a QH that my husband rides. I no longer ride since a horseback riding accident on someone elses horse (got into bees) hurt my back pretty good. I now have too much fear (which is disheartening
default_sad.png
) to go back to riding so now my full attention is on my little guys. I do agree with a few others that it does get annoying when people ask "What do you do with them if you can't ride them?" I just say, "I love them!"

Marty, your post cracked me up. I feel the same way, but my fear is the cart. Being overweight

My far is getting crashed in the cart!!!!!!!! :new_shocked: I'm overweight too but I still would like to drive someday. At first I felt guity thinking about how a mini would pull my fat rear around, but I would get a larger mini to do that most likely if I were so inclined and wouldn't let that stop me. At the shows, there are people larger than me in carts so I believe that with the right sized mini it can be done successfully and I would feel comfortable. My black and white mare Angel is taller and strong and has the bone for it, but my gosh she's so lazy, she hardly will walk on a lead rope.
default_yes.gif
: not to mention that she's lacking in the brains department...
default_wacko.png
:

I've already got Nick bitted up to ground drive but that's as far as I got. I didn't get a harness or anything.

[SIZE=14pt]Kanoa, Overwt is relative in a cart if the cart is balanced. I am overweight, about 225.... I drive them.... if the cart is balanced you can.[/SIZE]

I was beginning to feel like KAy here too, as if , because I show, people look down on me for it. My horses are not in 24/7 and they are much loved.... I have also been to shows probably the same ones as Kim and heard the same person complaining...
default_wacko.png
: Jill has too.... and there is also another farm that complains loudly enough for the judge to hear when they dont win.... but it isnt enough to make me quit. There is a little bit of politics but not as many as some people think. There have been people in the ring with horses obviously inferior that scream politics when it is really a matter of logic not who knows who. Sour grapes is rampant in the show comunity.... still not enough to stop me from going. You need to lose as gracefully as you win.

Off that soap box now but , non showers, dont hate us because we do!

Lyn

Lyn.. I was thinking the same thing.. but it is human nature to complain and be sure 100 percent sure yours is better then the next guys.

That happens here many times as well with show people and non show people(or breeders and non breeders)- again it is human nature to defend what you do or dont do

I hear often that there are only show threads on this fourm. and of course those that dont breed have said there are only breeding topics on the fourm.

Bottom line is there is enough people here on the foiurm to have others with the same interests or others always willing to learn about something new and we can always find differences but we all have one thing in common our love for our horses

:saludando: I do not show. I like to watch but don't have the physical or mental strength to go out there and show off. Now I just love them... in time I wil return to the realm of breeding and handling, for now I sit and watch them and just grin.

The mean, harsh comments happened to me more than just a few times. It's not the only reason I stopped, but I had had enougth. I now have a young son. I don't have the time like I used to. I think it's great for those that can show and can juggle it all as it does take a lot of hard work and time.

After two tornados the two times I showed at overnight shows with this person I believe GOD made it loud and clear that if I want to show maybe I should do it on my own. So I took that advice and will save my pennies and maybe in a year or two I will get back to it. Who knows my little boy will want to show someday.
default_smile.png

I'm finding some interesting points on this forum. I have never had anything against showing, I just don't feel it is for me or any animals I will ever have. Lots of added stress for me and them, and I just don't want the hassle of it when I already know that I am not competitive to begin with or willing to play with my money. I just wanna enjoy my family members at home. I do understand the fact of wanting to show your special little friend off though.

I also want to state that I don't have any problems with breeders. If it wasnt for the ones who breed, I wouldn't be getting my little girl and any possible horses in the future. The ONLY thing that I think I have a problem with breeding/showing, is how people say they love this animal or that animal and that they are "pets", but the next thing I see... that "pet" is up for sale. I was raised that "pets" were family members until death (unless a financial situation or health issue arises and they could no longer receive the care they deserved). Maybe that's what I feel differs from those of us who want just "pets" and those who are willing to sale their "pets" to get a better one. I am not hinting towards anyone or passing judgement on anyone, because I understand it is a competition or for breeders, a business. I just really do feel there is a big difference between those of us who have "pet's" and those who have "today's best" as pets.

Edited to say.. I know that not everyone who shows or breeds, sells their beloved pets for a better model. But it does happen quite often.

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL I Have to say this and it will be the last thing on this thread I promise..

but if you think that those with "pets" arent selling them well your head is in the sand. In fact that is as been said here half the market if not more. Not just those looking for "top quality" show horses buying and selling but those selling there beloved pets or breeding them and selling there foals.

There is no difference other then some might say perhaps (not saying all here people dont flame) but some might say the difference is in the quality of the "pets" being sold.

I again have to wonder why.. this is always being brought back to those that show dont love there horses as much as those that dont thead
default_wacko.png
:

Back