Are there any horse and pony breeds suitable for children?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

Silver City Heritage Farmstead

Can't stop now (formerly Dragons Wish Farm)
Reaction score
You mentioned in your intro thread that you have 6 horses. What breeds are they? Ages? Why are they not suitable for your children?

For me, I'm not always so focused on breed as much as I am temperament and training. I want something that is gentle, easily handled, impeccable manners, seasoned, impeccable manners, patient, kind, forgiving, impeccable manners, that has been exposed to many different things and environments, impeccable manners (do you see a theme there?😆) careful, and has a bit of age and/or experience on them. By age I mean that I don't *generally* pair a green horse-no matter the chronological age-with a green rider or handler.

I want a horse that will help a person's interest in being involved with horses to grow. I want to encourage children and new horses owners to ENJOY horses, not be frightened of them. I want them to become lifelong horse people 🥰

MaryFlora

Reaction score
If you are wondering about ponies, any pony breed can be a great choice. As Silver City expressed it’s all about manners and training. Our daughters rode and over the years, they had daughters who became interested in the minis. Our minis were all selected from experienced and reputable horse people who showed and drove their ponies.

When the granddaughters wanted to drive, a well known farm had a small bay mare, very gentle and accustomed to nearly everything. I paid a well respected professional to train her to drive keeping the granddaughters in mind. Temperament and manners are everything.

betwys1

Reaction score
My chestnut gelding 'Whiskey' has an excellent riding temperament, or when I mount first-time kids. His worst excess ever, was rushing back to the stable after walking into a noisy plastic item underfoot. Though the first-time rider squealed, she remained in the saddle. He is a sound registered Morgan, foaled April 26, 1998. As you can see, he is into his twenties, which no doubt helps. He plays playday games; barrels, potato, flag, poles, though no longer with me. I too am getting old - too old to ride in fact, more's the pity. I would be pleased to sell him to a family with a child-rider. He is chipped. I see on his papers, Shelley Cassada is noted as his farrier. That's a familiar name on this list. He is pastured in South-West Oklahoma, at Martha, a village near Altus.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest posts