Are the horses in Worlds wearing makeup?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MInx

Reaction score
Wow these are gorgeous horses and we've been glued to this computer for days! Even my highly padded rear end is sore
biggrin.gif

So do they apply some sort of equine black makeup to the muzzels that shines? Looks nice but I'm confused how they do it..

perhaps we could have a thread on "getting ready for a show'...all the glitter, shine etc they do, or is that asking their secrets to be given away?
smile.gif

Dp they use tail extensions? I assume they are all that long getting ready for Worlds..

Just courious as all we've ever shown are local and 4-H shows...Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
some of the horse may be wearing black stage makeup (it a paste that is applied with a cosmetic sponge). Some horses will have naturally dark muzzles that will blacken when given a facial (razored) with oil applied.

I don't usually use any black makeup. I have only used it once and don't like it. I know some do, but I would doubt that ALL do.

What usually occurs in show preparation for Halter, is the clipping of the face, very close to the skin. Then, the areas around eyes and muzzle are razored to get all the hair off. After that, applying a coat of baby oil or a similar product results in a very dark (of course, only w/horses w/dark skin) and shiny looking muzzle/area over eyes.

This can either be overdone, or done tastefully and w/out making the horse look ridiculous or ovely shiny. I have heard more than one comment this year about horses being "overdone" coming from the judges themselves.

I would guess this is how the horses in the ring are being presented, for the most part.

If a horse has pink skin, obviously, it won't look the same.

Liz M.

Thanks, I love the Buckskins, and someday will own one..also Bays..is it necessary to shave the eyebrows off like that?

I'm not sure I could play that game..however having said that we showed champian Great Danes for 9 years and had our puppied ears cropped so I'll shut my mouth now
biggrin.gif

It is in NO WAY necessary to shave a horse, or even to clip them, for that matter.

Your own feelings about what you feel looks good on your horse is, to me, the best judge of what you will eventually do or not do in grooming to show.

I think a truly superior horse could walk away with a trophy, no matter what, as long as it was respectfully presented (by that I mean clean, groomed, and appropriate for a show).

Liz M.

[SIZE=14pt]We do shave or razor our muzzles on the dark horses but dont even clip close on the ones with white noses..... nothing uglier than PINK skin showing!! The bays and bucksking and even chestnuts look pretty good with the shave and oil. We dont ever use Black anymore....too hard to get out of your clothes and too easy to make look like clown paint if not done right.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I've gotten in trouble for saying this so many times, but I'll say it again...don't ever feel that you MUST do this or any other grooming technique. I'm not criticizing those who elect to bald, but it is not for me.

I personally hate this look and refuse to bald muzzles or above the eyes -- I want a horse, not Groucho Marx!

I refuse to do it, and so far it hasn't hurt us...we placed over a number of horses who were balded and greased. These were regional shows, not big national ones, but I'm so bull-headed that even if it meant we finished last, I still wouldn't bald.

I clip the muzzle close, but no balding,and no body-clipping in Mingus' case -- at least not in summer. Flash may need body-clipping, but I still won't bald.

Again, this is my personal, though strongly held, position, and nobody should feel free they should do something they dislike.

I did notice with glee this year at AMHR Nationals that most of the horses there did not have the over blacked and shinny noses. They were razored tackfully and blended and the greese rubbed in kind of like lotion instead of piled on like suntan oil. I hope its a new trend. They all looked beautiful and natural, and not overdone. Maryann

I'm glad this was posted here...I was too embarrassed to ask about it. I have a stallion catalog and at least half of the layout shots are like that (greased and blackened) - I don't like the way it looks and I've thought that I'd never be able to present an animal like that when I don't like the way it looks; so I figured I never show. I'm glad to know it's a personal choice and not required.

My thoroughbred has a very pale nose, but because he is a bay im constantly told i SHOULD put black makeup on his muzzle for shows, but I just cant because he has such a light nose, and a big blaze that covers half of his muzzle anyways... I do trim his whiskers and all of that but I really dont like to blacken his muzzle because of how light it is.

Looks like the front end is covered - so I'll bring up the rear!

Those are natural tails, as except for Park Harness, fake tails are not allowed.

Most of my horses, even the broodmares out in the pasture, have naturally full long tails, so it's not hard to put one on a show horse.

Thank all! Thats what I thought re the tails..heck we don't even show (did once last summer) but even so their tails are growing and growing and I will keep off up to just below the hock and possible braid only for the deepest snow..

I think that full natural mane and tail are one of the most beautiful things about a mini..you are all again SO wise with all your experience..thanks, Maxine

I am one that does like the close clipped razored look. When it is done correctly I think it looks good (I love the way Arabs are done they look phenomenal
yes.gif
).

Some people do go overboard on the make-up. What I like to do is put a skin conditioner on the razored skin (it helps keep it soft and not flaky looking). I don't use baby oil simply because I hate it on my hands and think it can be overkill if too much is used. After I use the skin conditioner I spray a light coat of Pepi or Ultra spray, which can make them shiny.

I don't have anything against baby oil (or the spray in my case) when it is used in moderation. I also think there is a place for the black make-up. I have never personally used or had a trainer use anything but a powder made specifically for this purpose. This comes in handy if you didn't quite get your blending right and would like to get the face more smooth looking (very much like your own skin if you use foundation or something similar).

You certainly don't have to do anything you don't want to do. I personally like the razored look and you will find that at the larger shows and particularly the AMHA Championship and World Shows just about everyone does razor (this does not mean you have to I am just letting you know what I like and what I have seen at these shows). Just do what you like and have fun
yes.gif
biggrin.gif
!

I agree about razoring. I love the way it looks and though I know you can mess it up, I just like it and so I do it.

Yes, the bigger shows most everyone does, but I still believe a better horse will win no matter what.

It is everyone's right to choose how they present their horse, noone should feel pressured to do something they don't personally like or feel their horse doesn't like.

Liz M.

Latest posts

Back