Are mules...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigeresss

Reaction score
I was wondering if miniature mules are "as loud" as donkeys? Also how do they tend to do with miniature horses?

I have my mini hinnys (opposite breeding of a mule..) together with my mini horses, and they get along great! The hinnys are very protective of the horses. I would have to say mine are much quitier then my donkeys are. Very seldom do I hear the hinnys bray. Hope this helps. Corinne

tigeresss said:
I was wondering if miniature mules are "as loud" as donkeys? Also how do they tend to do with miniature horses?
425339[/snapback]

My "team" of mini-mules occasionally hee-haw, but they really aren't too vocal. They have NOT integrated well with my Littles (the miniature horses), as they are almost two hands taller, and they haven't gotten along too well with my three big horses, although they had run with bigger horses at the previous owners.

I am either going to have to come up with a third pasture and shelter quite soon, or I am going to have to find them a NEW home!

SuziB

One of my mules is pretty quiet. He "sings". He has a beautiful hummy song he sings especially at super time. His brother makes a little more noise but their sister is absolutely obnoxious! She has a horrible voice and talks a lot.

My donkey is louder than the mules though.

My mules run with the mini horses and love being with them. They are very protective of them and chase all the dogs away, even my own.

minimule said:
One of my mules is pretty quiet.  He "sings".  He has a beautiful hummy song he sings especially at super time.  His brother makes a little more noise but their sister is absolutely obnoxious!  She has a horrible voice and talks a lot. 
My donkey is louder than the mules though.

My mules run with the mini horses and love being with them.  They are very protective of them and chase all the dogs away, even my own.

426330[/snapback]

Are your mules the same height as your miniature horses? Or are they a little taller, as mine are? If so, perhaps the two teams will eventually settle well together. I certainly hope that they do; it will make life much simpler.

And I was very, very surprised to learn that mare mules DO come into breeding season. That has caused some very interesting problems around here.

SuziB

The 3 mature mules I have are all about 35" tall. My horses range from 28" (mature) to 36". The mules run with all but the foals. They tend to chase them like they do the dogs and I don't want to risk getting a foal hurt.

I did turn my oldest foal, 4 months, out with them and he did fine. Once they get big enough, the mules just ignore them.

My oldest mule loves to go and play with my oldest stallion. They "fight" and chase and do boy things all day. It gives the stallion someone to play with without being afraid of either getting hurt.

My mules were raised with the horses though. The old timers say though that a john mule is calmed by a mare. They used to make a span of a john and mare. The mule would be the hard worker and the mare would keep him more calm.

Latest posts

Back