Are Grapefruits toxic to horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
My little girl has recently been attracted to grapefruit juice....she will trot over to the trees and look all around till she finds a fallen grapfruit...then she paws at it a few times and appears to suck the juice from it. Wiggling her nose right up then goes back for more. She doesnt eat the skin and appears to not really be interrested in the flesh...just the juice. She will search and paw several until she finds the right one. Its gotten to the point where Im afraid to let her near them any more as I think she may start looking for my bottle of Grey Goose next. Does any one know if grapefruits are toxic to horses. Also how about watermelons...my husband and I love em and I love giving the horses pieces too...any one see a problem with those.

We do not give them the skin ... just the fruit. Thanks for anyones insight, Heidi

I don't have any idea about grapefruit (they don't grow here in WA!) but we give our horses watermelon and the rind whenever we eat it! Frankly, they don't get too much of the good stuff, but they sure do love munching down on the rinds. I cut them in appropriate sized pieces (from mini to donkey to clydesdale) and make the rounds of the pastures and they go nuts for it. There is nothing better than good old watermelon slobber kisses!!

Jayne

I don't have any idea about grapefruit (they don't grow here in WA!) but we give our horses watermelon and the rind whenever we eat it! Frankly, they don't get too much of the good stuff, but they sure do love munching down on the rinds. I cut them in appropriate sized pieces (from mini to donkey to clydesdale) and make the rounds of the pastures and they go nuts for it. There is nothing better than good old watermelon slobber kisses!!

Jayne
Thanks Jayne..now I know I can give them small pieces of the rind too. I do love the sounds they make when their eatting a nice ripe melon. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on peanuts grapefruit intake untill I can find out more.

Heidi

On hot days, I would let my big horses play soccer with a watermelon (and they'd eat it at the game's end). They loved it, no harm came from it. Too much would be bad, I'm sure. How much is too much?
default_unsure.png
I don't know...

Latest posts

Back