Are anyone else hubby and kids blind

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basketmiss

Reaction score
Ok I did an Arbonne spa party last night and came home to the entire sink overflowing with dishes!! I had run the dishwasher so it just needed to be emptyed and reloaded, so when I came home at 9:00 pm after working all day and doing a spa party, what do I come home too?? Do they not have eyes?? Am I the only one around here who sees things amiss??

Then I get angry and resentful ( I try not too) it is really hard not too!!

Anyone else have this problem? And what do you do about it?

My kids are still to young to do chores like this, but hubby is 30 years old and can't use that for an excuse anymore!
default_laugh.png

He will always do exactly what I ask him to do, no more, no less. If I want the kitchen cleaned and ask him to "do the dishes", he will wash the dishes and leave everything else just like it was. I think it is his way of getting me to think that I have to do it myself if I want it done right. Not falling for that. I will just keep nagging him till he does it right?
default_wacko.png

Would never fly in my house! If you dirty it up you clean it up. I guess if they get away with it they will always feel they can do it. Nope......I refuse to be a maid or a door mat.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
My kids are 11 and 15 and hubby is 40 so definently NO excuse!!

I feel like I nag alot! Then get annoyed, and I dont like to always be annoyed!!

I am always a happy person, hard worker ( I work full time plus do Arbonne on the side) I just wonder if it is too much to ask for some help.. Our house is always clean, cause I cant stand it if it isnt! Now I always need to dust-I hate to dust so it comes last, but our house is always ready for someone to come visit.

As I looked at the sink full of dishes, I said so if I was gone tomorrow- What would happen around here- No food bought, no clothes washed, no dishes done, no showers taken, no homework done-- you get my drift?

I love being a wife and mother BUT dont feel it fair to be the only one doing it or nagging til it gets done...

Ok off my soapbox now!! Sorry just needed to vent today!!

Would never fly in my house! If you dirty it up you clean it up. I guess if they get away with it they will always feel they can do it. Nope......I refuse to be a maid or a door mat.
default_smile.png

So how do you get it done?? Nag them? or something else??

yep, same here.

19, 18, 7, 4 and 47, and it's a mess...we have no dishwasher (raises hand) except when I feel like it, or get tired of looking at it.

I am not the ONLY one who cleans, I am merely the only one who notices when things weren't cleaned up right after the mess was made (such as cooking, or organizing or any other mess-making endeavor).

Clutter drives me nuts.

Liz

yep, same here.19, 18, 7, 4 and 47, and it's a mess...we have no dishwasher (raises hand) except when I feel like it, or get tired of looking at it.

I am not the ONLY one who cleans, I am merely the only one who notices when things weren't cleaned up right after the mess was made (such as cooking, or organizing or any other mess-making endeavor).

Clutter drives me nuts.

Liz
Liz, you just spoke exactly how it is for me!! Word for word!!

Missy

default_smile.png

So how do you get it done?? Nag them? or something else??
I guess I never let it happen right from the beginning. And my husband respected me enough to not do that to me. I worked just as hard as him. My daughter just knew better from the beginning too. She always had some chore she was responsible for. And there were just never any if, ands, or buts. It just got done. I would sometimes be on the road for 2 weeks or more at a time with the horses and I would always come home to a spotless house. I would also imagine that my husband just preferred a cleaner home so when he was the only one around to do it, it became a habit.

You will find that people will always try to get away with what they know they can get away with......be it your family or your hired help OR YOU.......at your job. Human Nature! I would just sit them all down and have a family meeting and tell them your feelings! People just allow themselves to be walked on.

Liz, clutter drives me NUTS too. UGH! I don't know how people live in some of these homes. We watch a lot of HGTV and my mouth literally hangs open at the mess some people live in. :DOH!

Hhhmm...I am working on the little boys and I honestly don't expect the 4-year-old to DO that much, but I try to point out the toy situation and before another activity is begun, point out that the other hasn't been put away or cleaned.

Their Dad is very busy with many projects and often leaves one "out" before starting another and another and before I know it, there are a half-dozen projects going on (right now we have a shed being built, the pieces for that and my oldest son's motorcycle tear-down are lying together in the driveway, repairing the patio cover and the tools for that are still out, painting soon (the brushes are lying out there)) and his return from Alaska, with a few items still on the back porch and driveway area from THAT. INSIDE, it's just a hodgepodge of everyone's and we're moving out of one room and putting one of the boys into it, so some things are in transition, I just prefer to get one done and then move on to the next after the other is fully finished.

Those "clean" shows are scary to me, that is what insanity looks like, those cluttered and piled rooms.

Some of them are full of bugs and animal poop and yiiiiiiiiii I would burn it and run, I think.

It's so hard to do the regular cleaning tasks like vacuum, dust and wash when the other things are in the way of that.

Liz

me and my boyfriend have only been living together for 3 and a half months so we are still getting in the grove of who does what when it comes to cleaning. And now he has started school so he trying to use homework as an excuse....i don't think so! He may have gotten away with that with his mother but not with me.

He cooks dinner most of the time, and he does the dishes. He does not do the dishes properly but he gets them done and since he stoped getting yucky water marks on the silverwear i'm not going to complaine.

I do everything else lol but i don't mind so much. we only have a apartment so it's not a big job, but him leaving his big heavy computer books, and cd binders in my way can be a pain in the but when i'm trying to clean the place. I've started something new i like to call "Your crap, Your problem". I did the house cleaning yesterday and i wanted it to be really clean and get everything tucked away so i could put up fall decorations. When it came to the computer desk I cleaned my side but his side is sill dusty as heck because he just has too much crap on it and thats his problem. Is also left his 2 hudge cd binders on the corner of the carpet i vacumed around it "his crap, his problem".

Another bif issue is laundry! I have many pairs of jeans and lots of sweaters that are hang dry, he knows that but they get put in the dryer anyway. I just went shopping on sunday because I have no more jeans that fit. Since we had an extra laundry hamper from his old place (we use mine because it's larger) I dug it out of the closet and have started putting all my hang dry stuff in it and I will wash it myself. see "my crap, my problem" and i fixed it!
default_laugh.png
I've also been making suggestions for him to get something to put under the desk to keep his stuff in order

And now he has started school so he trying to use homework as an excuse....i don't think so! He may have gotten away with that with his mother but not with me.
You go girl!
default_cheers.gif
Gotta train em' right from the beginning!
default_laugh.png

It's universal I see. Happens here in Australia too!

The amount of complaining my youngest son does in particular is amazing. Asking him to do the dishes or take the garbage out is an academy award winning performance on his behalf!

My eldest son is much better. He seems to take after me, a bit of a neat freak. He keeps his bedroom tidy enough for a teenage boy I guess.

My husband does the best he can I guess.

All in all, I would have to say that I do the biggest percentage of housework out of all of the family. I'm really tired of it all actually!

Usually I do the major cleaning but hubby does help with the dishes. He even sweeps, irons and dusts if I haven't had a chance to do it. The other day he even cleaned the toilet and DIDN'T half "arse" it
default_new_shocked.gif
I was in complete shock. I made sure and made a huge deal about how much it meant to me that he helped me out and did such a FANTASTIC job. Since he has been laid off he has been trying to help out even more. All in all I really can't complain too much
default_smile.png

Missy,

Maybe you could call for a "family meeting" and let them all know how it is making you feel and how much extra stress it puts on you. Maybe if you ask them if they could try to help you out a little more it won't feel like your nagging. Not sure if it would work but it sounds like a good idea anyways
default_biggrin.png

You certainly should NOT be the only one taking care of that stuff.

Ha, I thought that was normal behavior... you mean some kids and husbands actually clean up after themselves??!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Well, what is this world coming to?!

Nope, fought it for years... kid grew up and left, divorced husband (not necessarily in that order) and they are both still slobs- I live alone now.
default_laugh.png

I should take a picture of our floor after a typical day with our seven dogs. You can hardly see the carpet through their toys, kibbles, snibbles of toys and stuffing. I usually pick up three times a day, but some days I just let it go until before bed.

[SIZE=12pt]LOL, umm..yeah, they're blind as they can be to messes...unless Steve can't find something since he's buried it @@. He then gets the "wow, maybe it's under a pile of your stuff somewhere" comment
default_rolleyes.gif
My Mom still cracks up about our "dish fairy". Steve tends to take his plate into the kitchen, put it on the counter and walk away...leftovers still out too (I usually put the kids to bed right after dinner) and when I had HAD IT one night I said "You know, there's not a dish fairy that suddenly appears and does these dishes!!" And Steve, being the silly smartbutt that he is, said "but honey, there IS a dish fairy. I put the dishes on the counter and leave and when I come back, they're all washed and put away, it's amazing!" I would have decked him if I hadn't been laughing so hard. [/SIZE]

Some days are better than others. I have warned that soon he will have NO clean socks and will have a strange smell to his pillow...when I start stuffing his pillowcase with the dirty socks he leaves all over the house...if he wasn't such a great guy he'd be in a HEAP of trouble As for the kids, well, I'm trying
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back