Are all foals born with white hooves?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel

Reaction score
I feel silly for asking this but I've never had a foal before. Our filly was born with all four white. She has two socks or stockings on the hind legs and maybe some on the front too. It's hard to tell with the light coloring on her legs as it is. I thought to myself "well her hooves are so light she must have socks on those legs." We had some experienced breeders of QHs stop by tonight and I made that same comment aloud. They said all foals are born with white hooves. Is this true then? Her front hooves do seem to be getting some black in them already...

By the way, our filly is doing excellent! We LOVE her!!!

No, of course not!!! How could a black horse be born with white hooves?? It's not your silly question- it's your friends silly answer!!! However a lot of pale coloured horses are born with pale hooves that darken up as they get older and of course, if you have white socks you will get white hooves that do not darken up.
smile.gif

[SIZE=14pt]Hi Rachel,[/SIZE]

Here's a link to a site that tells about horse hoof colors!

Enjoy
aktion033.gif
My Webpage

Bill

Could your friend be thinking of the newborn foals' MILK TOES???? They are white, but they wear or fall off as the foal moves around shortly after birth.

The foals' actual hoof color depends on the color of the horse.....sometimes a foal can have one or two white hooves and one or two black hooves! Or even striped!

MA

Rachel said:
I feel silly for asking this but I've never had a foal before. Our filly was born with all four white. She has two socks or stockings on the hind legs and maybe some on the front too. It's hard to tell with the light coloring on her legs as it is. I thought to myself "well her hooves are so light she must have socks on those legs." We had some experienced breeders of QHs stop by tonight and I made that same comment aloud. They said all foals are born with white hooves. Is this true then? Her front hooves do seem to be getting some black in them already...By the way, our filly is doing excellent! We LOVE her!!!

455997[/snapback]

Honestly, some people are the rudest around here lately
no.gif
Really has been making the forum an unpleasant place to be for us all.

First off please never feel silly for asking a question, no matter what kind of replies you end up with. Perhaps the breeder was referring to the slippers that cover the little hooves and come off that tend to be a light color when they are born. Congrats on your new filly and have a blast watching her grow.

I guess I shouldn't have felt silly asking that question - I was right after all! I was thinking that a black horse wouldn't be born with white hooves. That would just be wrong. I know the "slippers" they're born with are white, but I specifically said hooves and think these breeders were talking hooves too. I guess they don't know as much as I thought they did...

No such thing as a silly question, Rachel, or a stupid one, either. Just annoys me sometimes when people hold forth like that - they really should have known better.

Latest posts

Back