are all blacks born black?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
I have a question, well, 2 actually...where filly is shedding out she is jet black..pictures don't show it well, sorry....my other filly was born black, but a fading black..do all true blacks come out in the same wrapper or is she something else? My other question is on blue eyes, can they have a partial blue eye or will this fade? It seems to be just around the iris vs a total icy blue eye...?

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0131-2.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

That looks like a blue eye to me, think she's got that for keeps.
default_smile.png
Wish body color were so easy LOL. The last black foal I had was born silvery - and registered grey, from a grey dam. If she's shedding out black then yes, I'd say she might be.

Jan

IMO I think your little gal is going to shed out to a gorgeous (what I call) black-bay like my mare Daisy:

Summer: (w/ 2 week old filly)

Rosieandmom.jpg

Winter:

100_1044.jpg

And yep, horses can have partial blue eyes, our black pinto mare has one full blue eye and a partial blue, only the front half is blue and the back is the typical dark color:

100_0960.jpg

Blacks can come from something else. My colt last year came out the most beautiful silvery grey, but shed out black and is black to this day.

Because of the brown/golden tinge to her foal coat, I will say she is most likely a bay. Bays typically clip out quite "black" whereas blacks can clip out "charcoal grey". Bays also come in pretty dark tones. You won't know what "true" color she is until she is clipped and then a natural coat is allowed to come in over a month's time. But I will bet on bay.

Foals that are black are not always born black... sometimes they are silvery in color but generally won't have any brown tones to them.

Andrea

When I was a kid my sister and I bought a shetland colt. He was a smokey gray. As he shed out he turned jet black. I don't remember what his parents were. I was only 9 so it was a few moons ago.

Latest posts

Back