are 2 year old colts ready to breed?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
know I have been burned more than once because foals can not be registered until the sire is brought permanent for AMHR
For AMHR, you can register the foal even if one parent has not been made permanent, as long as that parent's temporary papers haven't yet expired.
So, if you buy a mare that is bred to a 2 year old, the foal is born in (for example) June of the following year. By then the parent with the temporary papers is a 3 year old--you can register that foal as long as you do it before Dec. 31st when that parent's papers expire. See the 2008 rule book, page 243/244, Part 3, Section A(4)

edited to add:

I know the AMHR stallion has to be 3 and perm before registering a foal.
suzie, that's not correct. (See paragraph above) Your stallion will be considered a 3 year old on Jan. 1st, so as long as your foal is born after Jan. 1st you will be able to register it, even though the sire's actual 3rd birthday isn't until april 29th. You can register that foal any time up until Dec. 31st, even if the stallion isn't made permanent yet.
There was a brief period of time where the rule was that both parents had to be made permanent before a foal could be registered (2005 and 2006 that was in effect I believe) but then for 2007 they relaxed that rule, and changed it so that foals could be registered during the sire's (or dam's) 3 year old year even if the sire or dam wasn't yet permanent. The amendment was in the 2007 rule book supplement, and it's in the 2008 book.

Last edited by a moderator:
In general yes they are ready to breed, but here we tend to base it on the individuals mentality and physical fitness, etc.

We had a three year old here briefly (not ours) that absolutely wasn't interested in mares. We penned him with mares on 3 sides and he did get interested finally and he's been quite successful as he's matured.

When we do breed 2 yr olds we never breed them to more than 1-3 at a time and always experienced mares. Amazing what great manners they learn from an older mare!

On the other had this a.m. a one month old was fully dropped (and well endowed for his age LOL!!!) trying to cover one of our mares!!! We've since the babies try to mount but never with such determination! He definitely won't be with any females past weaning age.

know I have been burned more than once because foals can not be registered until the sire is brought permanent for AMHR
For AMHR, you can register the foal even if one parent has not been made permanent, as long as that parent's temporary papers haven't yet expired.
So, if you buy a mare that is bred to a 2 year old, the foal is born in (for example) June of the following year. By then the parent with the temporary papers is a 3 year old--you can register that foal as long as you do it before Dec. 31st when that parent's papers expire. See the 2008 rule book, page 243/244, Part 3, Section A(4)

edited to add:

I know the AMHR stallion has to be 3 and perm before registering a foal.
suzie, that's not correct. (See paragraph above) Your stallion will be considered a 3 year old on Jan. 1st, so as long as your foal is born after Jan. 1st you will be able to register it, even though the sire's actual 3rd birthday isn't until april 29th. You can register that foal any time up until Dec. 31st, even if the stallion isn't made permanent yet.
There was a brief period of time where the rule was that both parents had to be made permanent before a foal could be registered (2005 and 2006 that was in effect I believe) but then for 2007 they relaxed that rule, and changed it so that foals could be registered during the sire's (or dam's) 3 year old year even if the sire or dam wasn't yet permanent. The amendment was in the 2007 rule book supplement, and it's in the 2008 book.

I did have that happen in 2006 to me. The mare was not perm until 4-20 that year and they made me hardship in the foal that year. Thanks for the information- I did not know they had "relaxed that rule". We went round and round with AMHR on that hardshipping fee. The colt was to be gelded but had not descended yet, so they wanted $400 to hardship him in to show that summer. It was a huge mess. Glad to know they have taken a second look at that.

Latest posts

Back