Arabians

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt73

Reaction score
I just love the look and temperament of an Arabian (who doesn't). More and more I think that when I do get another big horse, I may like one. I'm not a big guy (5'10" and 145 lbs.), but I just like a bigger horse having come from a hunter/jumper background. I'm not into competing anymore and would just like a really nice horse to hack around on. Are there any/many that are 16hh or over? I personally have seen the biggest at, maybe 15.3hh. Anyone know of or have a BIG Arabian?

Last edited by a moderator:
Matt, 15.3 is big for a purebred. Every now and then one will reach 16hh and yes some are bigger. My personal horses have always been on the larger end of the scale.......15.2 and 15.3. But your average Arab is going to be about 14.3 to 15.2.

You can always try for a registered Half Arabian. Now they come LARGE. You really are not competitive in the Hunter Division if they are less than 16hh. Some beautiful crosses out there now to choose from. Thoroughbred, Warmbloods, Quarter horses, Saddlebreds, Dutch Harness, etc. Lots of nice Half Arabs and many of the Half Arabs go for bigger prices than the Purebreds.

Matt, you really need to find a gorgeous BUCKSKIN part (1/2 or 7/8) Arab!
default_wub.png
If they had the height of the other breed and the "look" of an Arab, that would be my perfect horse!!
default_yes.gif

Hey Matt tator will reach that height he is reg. 1/2 sand lizard

i will even leave him a stud if you want lol

he is in a 6 ft run now and when he picks his head up he can almost look over the top

its funny

cant wait to close on my place and can turn every one out

I have a arabian mare who is 15.2hh, had one who was 15.3hh and bred her to a 15.3+hh arabian stallion. So they are out there. I currently have 4 arabians, 3 are 15hh-15.1hh and one is 15.2hh. Look on my website if you would like to see them. Most arabians are 14.2hh-15hh. I use to breed them big time. Showed at the arabian shows in Ontario and made lots of friends. At the Tulip Class A Arabian show in Kemptville I showed in 8 classes and came home with 7 firsts and 1 second. That was the year I had sent my mare for 6 months training($600 a month) and spent quite a bit of money but I had fun. Arabians are amazing horses.

Matt, you really need to find a gorgeous BUCKSKIN part (1/2 or 7/8) Arab!
default_wub.png
If they had the height of the other breed and the "look" of an Arab, that would be my perfect horse!!
default_yes.gif

I'm with ya
default_wink.png
I need a 16.2h Royal to go hacking with in the fields and forests
default_xreiter.gif

Okay, well I don't know much...but as I understand it, there are two or three types of Arabians: the classical Egyptian Arabian with the petite frame and dishy face and the Polish Arabian (I swear I'm not making this up) which as I recall is somewhat larger and there was another type, I think, but it's late and my brain refuses to function. You may well be able to find a purebred Arabian near the size you want. Maybe someone can help me out; my nieghbor raised Arabians for 25 years and explained the types and all that to me, but I can't remember anything past five minutes a... now what was I typing?

Yes, they do come in bigger sizes, but as others have said, they do not tend to be huge as a rule. Most of the ones we had were about 14.3. They are so tough with tons of stamina and were bred to pack riders across sand deserts and the rough mountains of Arabia for days.

Regardless of the breed, since I don't hunt or jump, I have never found the need to have a horse over 15 hands and find that many of the bulky muscle bound horses that go out for a days work wear out faster than some of the not so bulky ones. The only time we needed a fairly large horse for ranch work was if the guys had to rope a big cow or some fairly good sized stock, but that was not often and there are other ways to handle the cattle without having to have a 1300 pound horse.

We found that the 'middle of the road' built horses had more athletic ability too and were actually quicker than the big bulky ones that the neighboring ranch used. We just found that sometimes 'less is more'.

Just edited to note that I believe that much of the Russian stock was originally from the Polish horses stolen during the war, that refused to be returned after. So they are probably much the same 'type'.

Latest posts

Back